Clip in shoes?

Crowz

Clip in shoes?

Postby Crowz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Who uses clip ins? I'm pretty new to mountain biking and I think I'm going to try and get used to clip in shoes on the road first, then see how confident I feel on a mountain. I love the idea of having them when climbing, but I tend to put my foot down a few times each decent which would lead to a crash in clip ins :? Any tips/stories?

WarrenH

Re: Clip in shoes?

Postby WarrenH » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 am

If you can lessen the tension of the clips on the pedals, so that you can kick out easily until you get the hang of just kicking out instinctively ... it will possibly save you from having a few stacks.

Also if the tension is too strong and you find yourself kicking-out or twisting-out often, to dab often, you could end up with sore heals and/or Achilles tendons until you get familiar with the action.

Be mindful of the position of the cleats. Setting the cleats so that they're good enough ... isn't good enough. Think about how everything feels.

Good luck.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:39 pm

I prefer to MTB in clips, feet are always in the right place on the pedal. you dont loose your foot going over obstacles etc.
Wise to get used to them before going bush tho.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:50 pm

wouldn't ride without clip-ins on the MTB anymore. i was already used to them from the road bike, so it wasn't much to get used to, but i reckon they're awesome - would suggest them to anyone getting into it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:51 pm

I suggest going for broad flat platform pedals with clip-ins. Especially for technical riding, it means you can pedal without having to clip in.

As the other posters suggest, clipping out when you get unstuck is something to learn and consider when tackling obstacles. When you do start to fall, everything goes into slowmo, are you fast enough to clip out?
Cycling is in my BNA

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:25 am

Crowz wrote:.snip..I tend to put my foot down a few times each decent which would lead to a crash in clip ins :? Any tips/stories?
Stop putting your foot down on descents :D

Some riders use flat pedals and good cycling shoes (stiff soles and grippy rubber soles). Nothing wrong with that.

Others use clipless pedals. Most people who use clipless pedals would not go back to using flats.

From what I read the people who have the most problem with clipless pedals are the ones who don't use them.

In about 2000 I brought some SPD pedals and shoes. I put them on my bike and have been riding them ever since.

I like Shimano SPD pedals some recommend "egg beaters" as good beginner clipless pedals others say Time pedals are good too.

Either buy flat pedals or Clipless pedals not combo pedals (flat one side clipless the other). IMHO the "combo" pedals are awful.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 am

mitzikatzi wrote:Either buy flat pedals or Clipless pedals not combo pedals (flat one side clipless the other). IMHO the "combo" pedals are awful.
That makes sense - you don't want to be mucking around trying to get the pedal around the right way when you should be having fun instead. My SPD flat pedals have clipins on both sides.
Cycling is in my BNA

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:37 pm

when I had one mtb for all duties I had the pedals that were flats on one side and clips on the other. Clips for commuting or trail riding, flats for when I put the trailer and took kids out. It can be annoying trying to spin the pedal to get the clip side up, but was still a good compromise.
Check your cleats - spd's some with a single-release or multi-release. Multi-release will come out with a good pull in many directions, I've not had trouble when I lost the back end to get the full out. Single release though you need to twist your foot to get them out. In either case adjust it loose to start with.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll see how I go on my next ride :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:54 pm

I have been using SPD pedals since 1992 and won't ever go back to platforms.

I have 3 types.

DX SPD on my all mountain bike

XT and lower level trail SPDs on the MTB and CX bike

And standard SPD on my fixie

I think the XT trails are the best and they are only $61 on c r c at the moment.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:35 am

On those DX SPD and XT Trail pedals. The "frame work" is there to support your foot when it is clipped in. It just happens to let you ride on them un-clipped. Depending on your shoes it is not comfortable to ride for long periods on pedals like the DX SPD not clipped in. YMMV

these be "flats pedals"

Here are some combo pedals.

I still think "combo" pedals are a really poor compromise. The only place I might consider using them was on my pub/shopping bike.

petie

Postby petie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 pm

I used to ride flats a long long time ago on the MTB, but only use SPDs these days. I didn't ride off road for a while and was using clip-ins on the road and figured I'd give it a go off road. A few times I've had clip-stacks off road but that just means my line and gear selection was rubbish :lol: means I have to try harder next time!

I have recently bought a new bike that came with wellgo SPDs...I have shimano cleats on my shoes and shimano pedals on other bikes and the wellgo/shimano combo doesn't seem to go too well. Looking at the wellgo cleats I think they would be alright with the wellgo pedals but I haven't had much fun with shimano cleats. Moral of the story, stick with one brand and get with the strength :lol: There are great reviews of the wellgos as a cheap entry to SPD but I haven't had a great deal of fun (I probably am not the target market for these pedals though...)

If you haven't already bought some pedals, you're more than welcome to the wellgos (with their unused cleats) for the price of postage. If you're riding on=road to try them out they will be fine. Maybe if you like SPDs after the trial period go for an upgrade though...

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 pm

petie wrote:I used to ride flats a long long time ago on the MTB, but only use SPDs these days. I didn't ride off road for a while and was using clip-ins on the road and figured I'd give it a go off road. A few times I've had clip-stacks off road but that just means my line and gear selection was rubbish :lol: means I have to try harder next time!

I have recently bought a new bike that came with wellgo SPDs...I have shimano cleats on my shoes and shimano pedals on other bikes and the wellgo/shimano combo doesn't seem to go too well. Looking at the wellgo cleats I think they would be alright with the wellgo pedals but I haven't had much fun with shimano cleats. Moral of the story, stick with one brand and get with the strength :lol: There are great reviews of the wellgos as a cheap entry to SPD but I haven't had a great deal of fun (I probably am not the target market for these pedals though...)

If you haven't already bought some pedals, you're more than welcome to the wellgos (with their unused cleats) for the price of postage. If you're riding on=road to try them out they will be fine. Maybe if you like SPDs after the trial period go for an upgrade though...
Thanks for the offer Petie, I already have Shimano SPD pedels/cleats though.

Mehran

Postby Mehran » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I have been using SPD pedals since 1992 and won't ever go back to platforms.

I have 3 types.

DX SPD on my all mountain bike

XT and lower level trail SPDs on the MTB and CX bike

And standard SPD on my fixie

I think the XT trails are the best and they are only $61 on c r c at the moment.
I'm also not sure of these pedals, I wanted to ask you Mugglechops whether the DX outer cage is same as the M785 in terms of shoe/pedal contact? because I am thinking of buying the M785 but it seems that the cage around the clips is just aesthetic and your shoe does not touch them like in the DX

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:58 am

Personally I see no reason for the cages... my foot automatically goes back to the same place every time so riding without clipping is harder than ridding clipped in. They don't support my foot at all because the soles are rigid.
The only point I see in them is if you often ride in normal shoes.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 am

I agree with the above. Single sided with flats on one side are Ok-ish on road but a disaster off it. You simply can't afford to be faffing about with trying to get it right side up in technical terrain. Face plants hurt.

With appropriately stiff shoes you don't really need the platform cages on the trail pedals in my view but then my limit is techy cross country. Too old for AM my bones are no longer made of rubber!

Shimano is good. A bit heavy but bullet proof. The only maintenance mine have needed is a squirt of Wd40 after wet rides to keep the rust away and them looking nice. My oldest set is well into its 4th year.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Mehran wrote:
I'm also not sure of these pedals, I wanted to ask you Mugglechops whether the DX outer cage is same as the M785 in terms of shoe/pedal contact? because I am thinking of buying the M785 but it seems that the cage around the clips is just aesthetic and your shoe does not touch them like in the DX
In the shoes I have now they touch a little but not as much as the DX.

They don't really like mud though and can be hard to get out of.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 pm

I have M785 pedals on my touring bike. The platforms are definitely in contact with my Northwave MTB shoes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Mugglechops wrote: They don't really like mud though and can be hard to get out of.

My mud experience with the trail SPD's resembles that view but I much prefer having the cages as the Shimano shoes (especially the cheaper/softer ones) fully engage with the cage. The harder soled Shimano XC70 shoes have less need for the contact but I can still feel it.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 pm

My experience with Shimano SPD's in mud is that they are pretty damn good. Certainly zero issues clipping out... cleats sometimes need a bit of clearing with a few good kicks after a run. Snow is a completely different story!.
Although apparently the newer shimano SPD's are not quite as good as the previous version ( like in my pic ).

Mehran

Postby Mehran » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:19 pm

My point was to be able to ride with normal shoes, so having a M785 is certainly out of the question, right? what I understood from the above is that it depends on the flexibility of the shoe sole. But here's another question, what's the point of the platform around the pedal if your main contact point is the clipping mechanism in the centre?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

If you want to be able to ride any distance in normal shoes. You need either "flat" pedals or flat/spd combo pedals.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Mehran wrote:My point was to be able to ride with normal shoes, so having a M785 is certainly out of the question, right? what I understood from the above is that it depends on the flexibility of the shoe sole. But here's another question, what's the point of the platform around the pedal if your main contact point is the clipping mechanism in the centre?
The extended body on the M785 pedals contacts the sole of the shoe fore & aft of the cleat recess, thereby increasing the contact area & reducing localised pressure/hotspotting. The cleat is still the primary engagement point, the pressure just isn't as concentrated on that spot. The design is not intended as an all-purpose/combination type setup that can be used with normal shoes. That's what the T780 Trekking pedal & other similar designs are for.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:16 am

toolonglegs wrote:My experience with Shimano SPD's in mud is that they are pretty damn good. Certainly zero issues clipping out... cleats sometimes need a bit of clearing with a few good kicks after a run. Snow is a completely different story!.
Although apparently the newer shimano SPD's are not quite as good as the previous version ( like in my pic ).
The Shimano 'race' pedals like those obviously are OK with the mud but the 'trail' versions with the cage around them tend to hang on to the mud between the cage and clip. And the build-up can make unclipping/clipping in a chore because the mud puts pressure on the clip!! Cleans out OK but not with the same ease of the 'race' pedals...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Depends a bit on the model of pedal. I had a cheap OEM-spec M505 set for a while, and they had the cleat body in a module bolted to the pedal body. As a result, the body was a lot more cluttered than better (even M520) models, and suffered mud cloggage. The much more open M780 that I'm using now perform a lot better.

BTW Toolonglegs, I think clogged pedals are the least of your problem there. :wink:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.