This should eliminate the danger from cars !

Paul B

This should eliminate the danger from cars !

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 am

Driverless cars !!! Takes the idiot factor out of the road riding equation.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6705460560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wombatK

Re: This should eliminate the danger from cars !

Postby wombatK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:19 am

Paul B wrote:Driverless cars !!! Takes the idiot factor out of the road riding equation.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6705460560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your obviously think a lot more of programmers and IT people than I do.

After having a car computer with intermittent mis-firing faults etc.,. and the worse issues
being recently experienced by VW owners, there is absolutely no way I'm going to put
my life in the hands of their computers any more than the minimum. Way too much
evidence of idiot factor at work there.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 am

What happens when the sensors or systems don't work properly? I'm thinking of Malaysia B777-200/ER out of Perth many years ago which had ADIRU problems.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:36 am

Guys we all know even these potential malfunctions have got to be less of a risk than the idots that make a sport out of running us off the road.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 am

Can't read the linked article. It's in a Murdoch rag and I don't want to be soiled. :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 am

Paul B wrote:Guys we all know even these potential malfunctions have got to be less of a risk than the idots that make a sport out of running us off the road.
Sadly this is a 100% +1. The weak link in the automotive chain will always be the person holding the wheel. Driving a car in traffic "really well" is outside the ability of 25% of the population at any one time. In turn, these people slow everyone else and make life very hard. Computer control is somewhat inevitable IMO, because humans aren't good at decisionless tasks. "Go fast or slow" doesn't require decisionmaking when there are kids and pets around, but you'd never know it from the way many drive.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am

Does it feel better to be run down by programming error, by carelessness or with malice ?

zero

Postby zero » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 am

wombatK wrote:
Paul B wrote:Driverless cars !!! Takes the idiot factor out of the road riding equation.
Your obviously think a lot more of programmers and IT people than I do.

After having a car computer with intermittent mis-firing faults etc.,. and the worse issues
being recently experienced by VW owners, there is absolutely no way I'm going to put
my life in the hands of their computers any more than the minimum. Way too much
evidence of idiot factor at work there.
It will be statistically safer than human driving. Given that half of all fatal accidents in the country are single vehicle accidents, it gives an idea for the scope of a car that will at least stay on the road (and on the proper side of the road) for reducing the road toll.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:27 am

Or as discussed the other month

Bryant Walker Smith, a member of the centre for Automotive Research at Stanford, envisions driverless cars functioning as an extension of the home, Nick Bilton of The New York Times reports: “I could sleep in my driverless car, or have an exercise bike in the back of the car to work out on the way to work,” Smith said. “My time spent in my car will essentially be very different.”
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/work- ... ars-2013-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imagine having the opportunity to exercise while on the way to work! I can't wait for such technological advances. :lol:

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:45 am

Mistakes will happen, alright, in software and hardware. There'll be a crossover point where these things prevent more accidents than they cause. Would love to know how legal liabilities would be worked out, though!

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 am

We don't even have driverless trains in most places. Driverless trains are so much easier to implement.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am

human909 wrote:Or as discussed the other month

Bryant Walker Smith, a member of the centre for Automotive Research at Stanford, envisions driverless cars functioning as an extension of the home, Nick Bilton of The New York Times reports: “I could sleep in my driverless car, or have an exercise bike in the back of the car to work out on the way to work,” Smith said. “My time spent in my car will essentially be very different.”
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/work- ... ars-2013-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imagine having the opportunity to exercise while on the way to work! I can't wait for such technological advances. :lol:
This surely wins the prize for dumbest (*&#($*&(AT)#(*$&(AT)#(*%Y(*@Y%(*&%(*^$% comment ever. :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am

human909 wrote:We don't even have driverless trains in most places. Driverless trains are so much easier to implement.
<cough>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_driverless_trains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 pm

human909 wrote:We don't even have driverless trains in most places. Driverless trains are so much easier to implement.
That has more to do with unions than the technology.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:09 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have been claiming so far that despite half a million miles of testing the only accidents that have involved the car are:
1) it was rear ended while stationary at lights
2) a crash when it was in "manual" mode - ie under the control of the driver, not automated.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 pm

il padrone wrote:
<cough>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_driverless_trains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D I've ridden on two of them in that list. One in Osaka and one in Chicago.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Just means they can take their hands off the wheel and throw stuff against us now
Also they already have driverless mining trucks as well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:
That has more to do with unions than the technology.
hehe.. they haven't even managed to lay off the 'guards' on many services yet..

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:54 pm

My brother was telling me about these driverless mining trucks. Which are big. So big some of them have bedrooms. And I don't mean just a sleeper cab either. Anyway if they develop a fault (pretty much any fault.. they can be pretty trivial) they report it.. and drive themselves to the maintenance place (where he works) and shut themselves down and wait. Until sorted.. or they are told to move or hell freezes over To date the software has been bulletproof. Anything foxes them they just stop

Mozzar

Postby Mozzar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 pm

So when a car hits another car or a pedestrian from a mulfunctioning computer who gets the blame and fine. you can't fine a computer and you can't fine the person in the car because they weren't driving it was all the computers fault. so then the blame will go to the car manufacture or service centre and they will hate getting a fine when they were no where near the accident. There will be no automatic computer driven cars.

If a driveless car has a fault on a bussy road and just stops in the middle lane won't other cars hit it and cause a major accident.

If you start fining the car manufactures for the accidents then they will stop making the automatic computer driven cars.

BAD IDEA.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Mozzar wrote:So when a car hits another car or a pedestrian from a mulfunctioning computer who gets the blame and fine. you can't fine a computer and you can't fine the person in the car because they weren't driving it was all the computers fault. so then the blame will go to the car manufacture or service centre and they will hate getting a fine when they were no where near the accident. There will be no automatic computer driven cars.

If a driveless car has a fault on a bussy road and just stops in the middle lane won't other cars hit it and cause a major accident.

If you start fining the car manufactures for the accidents then they will stop making the automatic computer driven cars.

BAD IDEA.
Not a bad idea at all. Do you recall the term Luddite from history ? Allowing for the RARE malfunction once these vehicles are on the road, which of course will not happen before they have been extensively tested and proved safe, the statistics related to road trauma are going to go through the floor. Death and injury on Australian roads costs hundreds of millions of dollars each year. Not once these babies hit the road, which unfortunately probably wont be widespread for at least 20 years.

If I had the opportunity to choose to share the roads with the driver idiots who intentionally buzz me, or the driverless vehicles with their emphasis on safety... Give me the latter thanks.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Percrime wrote:My brother was telling me about these driverless mining trucks. Which are big. So big some of them have bedrooms. And I don't mean just a sleeper cab either. Anyway if they develop a fault (pretty much any fault.. they can be pretty trivial) they report it.. and drive themselves to the maintenance place (where he works) and shut themselves down and wait. Until sorted.. or they are told to move or hell freezes over To date the software has been bulletproof. Anything foxes them they just stop
Freakin' hell! It really is a brave new world :shock:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Mozzar wrote:So when a car hits another car or a pedestrian from a mulfunctioning computer who gets the blame and fine. .... the blame will go to the car manufacture or service centre and they will hate getting a fine when they were no where near the accident. There will be no automatic computer driven cars.
You half get it, then fall over completely.

The manufacturer will design and implement the software. If there is any failure, as with any fault, then the manufacturer will be sued. This is the same as normal. You rely on this already - if your bike throws a spoke and you go OTB, that is a manufacturing fault that they will be liable for. They WILL hate getting pinged, so they will design a system that is robust enough to cope with expectations. This will actually mean slower cars, and more room for error, as the car slows for peds, riders, animals etc. Just in case. Manufacturers will stand to profit so much from computer driven vehicles it is not even funny. Insurance premiums will plummet for owners, accident risk will drop, no more chance of getting a speeding fine or parking ticket, plus you get the chance to concentrate on something else like riding that exercise bike LOL the car manufacturers will be able to charge a 20-30K premium for the driverless cars, because of the savings in insurance etc.

Your other beef - If your car makes a dramatic stop, then the other automatic driven cars will adequately respond. Your automatic car will actually slow down in a way that minimised the chance of secondary impacts (you avoid rear ending the car in front, but the guy behind hits you instead). They will do so MUCH more quickly and safely than a driver can - they will also have allowed much more space than the impatient human drivers will. The computer will not be surprised by sudden stopping. It will expect it. Human drivers are lulled into a false sense of security by a lack of accidents. The computer cannot assume anything, it will behave like a neurotic hypochondriac who is always afraid of its shadow. This is actually the preference for such devices. No fatigue. No emotional aggression or hormonal influence. Just transportation.

This kind of technology has so many plusses that it is not worth complaining about it. Cars will not be driven by people for much longer.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Certainly, Google shopped their technology around Detroit and there were no takers recently.

At the moment, they only drive themselves on the freeway and you get there out of your garage by yourself.

But it's early days yet.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Xplora wrote:
Mozzar wrote:So when a car hits another car or a pedestrian from a mulfunctioning computer who gets the blame and fine. .... the blame will go to the car manufacture or service centre and they will hate getting a fine when they were no where near the accident. There will be no automatic computer driven cars.
Your other beef - If your car makes a dramatic stop, then the other automatic driven cars will adequately respond. Your automatic car will actually slow down in a way that minimised the chance of secondary impacts (you avoid rear ending the car in front, but the guy behind hits you instead). They will do so MUCH more quickly and safely than a driver can - they will also have allowed much more space than the impatient human drivers will. The computer will not be surprised by sudden stopping.
Not only will they expect it (the computers)... They will all be communicating with each other via some Bluetooth like system. Accidents will be virtually impossible.