Retro cycling club in Sydney

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:03 pm

10th of August sounds good. Not too soon I think. I don't know Homebush at all, and I think all should be welcome, with kids/partners etc.

What is the situation for riding at Homebush? I assume a road loop? We could drag out the retro (and not so retro) bikes for a few laps and have a coffee and a chat.

What is the Tennis Centre racing? A short criterium circuit?

Finally, what would be a good time for everyone? 9am? 10am? I could do earlier.

Cheers
Roger

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:13 pm

The tennis centre 531db can tell you more about as he rides with the waratahs.

Homebush has cyclepaths through Bicentenial Park and around the bay area. There are short and long tracks to suit any level so is very suitable for partners and kids. From memory there are maps online.

There is a nice cafe next door to the Bike Hire in the park. I often stop there and it is within a short walking distance to the kids swing/play/bbq area.

So count me in, I will be there. I can drag Jim and his mates over after the Waratahs race. I am guessing he would stop there at about 10ish so you could ride before or after this.

For those who dont know Jim, he has been a frame builder in Sydney for the past 50 odd years and is a lovely man to chat to.

Karen.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:53 pm

sogood wrote:In another 20 years, even my CF frame can join in one of these vintage ride. :lol:
As long as you don't ride in the rain :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

janus77

Postby janus77 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 am

Goods like fun, so long as it doesn't snow over 40cm down south, I'm in :)

colb2811

Homebush on 10th August.

Postby colb2811 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 pm

I hope to be able to come to the ride at Homebush. 11am is good for me as I will have to travel 250k.

Col.

ukalipt

Postby ukalipt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:30 pm

yeah i am in, i will bring the boys. they will love it. i will bring my camera along as well and try and get some pic for those who can't make it.

as for time i am ok with 9am or 10am onwards.

ps. pictures will be of the machines, humans aren't welcome!
i like to pedal

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:09 pm

I hope you can make it Col, which bike will you bring?

Karen.

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:20 am

Roger, I WAS wondering why there wasn't anything here in NSW/Sydney Area.
(See my post last week)

A swap meet day somewhere in Sydney would be good or if anyone wants to come and see my collection of bikes you're welcome to call in sometime at a more respectable hour as I'm not sure that I can drag my aging body out to Bike races (Homebush) anymore, that's definately a passion of days gone by.

I have plenty of old bikes that might interest you here (about 150 of them actually) plenty of spare parts etc, I'm based in the Northern Sydney Area, Thornleigh

Lucy

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Lucy,

You have the Rogers muddled up. Rogerrabbit is not the one off ozpushies. The Roger off ozpushies is known as Torana68 on here.

Hope that makes sense.

Karen.

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Yes you're right that is confusing . . . .
With the user names on Ozpushies, here and Ebay my head is in a bit of a muddle!

An annual, monthly, or whatever gathering of vintage bike mad people here in Sydney is much needed.

Open to Rogers, Richards, Carbines, GTS's, Olivertwists, Rahaa's or whatever and who ever wants to join us!

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:10 pm

Well...some of us will be there at 8am to watch the vets race but others wont be turning up till 10/11ish so Lucy, whats your excuse? I am sure the kids would love to come along and I have yet to see you on a bike. Which would you bring? The moser? :)

Karen.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:26 pm

I think I will come along to watch the race and be there for the whole morning, and get some motivation to join the club and do some vet racing myself. I am a young and sprightly 44 and could do with the incentive to do some proper training.

Where exactly is the meeting spot at Homebush? I haven't been since the Olympics.

Cheers
Roger

colb2811

Homebush on 10th August.

Postby colb2811 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:24 pm

Karen,

I will probably bring a late fifties Speedwell or perhaps a Skidstar but not the SJH which is in the to hard basket.
What is every one else bringing ?

Col.

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:36 pm

If I can find the right holed rims before then, I will bring my bizmyre.

I've also found a tour guide for us. He rides at Homebush weekly so knows all the paths and where to go. He rides a trike but dont let that fool you, he is faster than me, but will keep to a slower pace to allow for kids to join in.

As for where to meet, I am only familiar with the cafe which is just near the main entrance. There is parking there. I think it is called Lillies? The bike hire is right next door so if someone needs a bike for the kids or partner etc, there are plenty available.

Karen.
Last edited by cludence on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Karen, that Moser has yet to find it's way into the stand!

As for seeing me on a bike these days, not a pretty sight!

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Excuses excuses Lucy. If I can give up smoking, you can ride a bike. I do know you have your friends bike there in your size. -Someone dobbed you in sometime ago.

Karen.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 pm

I will be bringing my Falcon San remo.

bridgethegap71

Retro day/swap meet/gathering

Postby bridgethegap71 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:37 pm

I know, but all I can manage these days is processing the memberships for my local bike club. Northern Sydney C C, which is better than nothing!
I've even taken out a full racing licence just in case with Cycling Australia - quite pathetic really but at least the thought is there.

Unfortunately no retro things happening in our club, it's all carbon fibre I'm afraid but I've been thinking . . What if Waratah had a "retro" day where everyone raced on old bikes and in wool jerseys . . . . ?
I know all the waratah members have the latest greatest but I'm sure they'd have old stuff at home?

Lucy

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:19 am

There is bicycle hire at the Armoury Wharf (Blaxland Riverside Park) with plenty of parking.

Sydney Olympic Park Bicycle Hire Details

and the Olympic Park cycling Circuits paths map can be downloaded
here

If I am free, will see if I can make i along with my modernised Yamaguchi Tange Mangaloy mid 80's roady
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

Kid_Carbine

Re: Homebush on 10th August.

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:06 am

colb2811 wrote:Karen,

I will probably bring a late fifties Speedwell or perhaps a Skidstar but not the SJH which is in the too hard basket.
What is every one else bringing ?

Col.
Col
Looks like it's up to me to fly the SJH flag. My 1937 Carbine won't be ready for a while, but my early 50's SJH is rideable &, like Cludence, I am desperately trying to come up with a correct wheelset for it.
I have the Conloy Singles rims & a 'gearside' Airlite Continental rear hub, but not the front one & 15/17/15 rustless spokes are a bit hard to find these days, so I may need to use the existing wheels for now.

Getting the hang of that suicide front derailleur might prove to be fun also. I just need to service the left pedal & it will be back in action.

If anybody has some new Fibrax No. 269 brake blocks available I would be most pleased to hear from you also.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:16 pm

cludence wrote:Lucy,

You have the Rogers muddled up. Rogerrabbit is not the one off ozpushies. The Roger off ozpushies is known as Torana68 on here.

Hope that makes sense.

Karen.
makes sense to me , but then I know who I am... hope this goes well and becomes a regular thing.
Roger
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Well Roger arent you due a trip to Sydney?

I just had one of the dragster guys stop by to show me one of the bikes he is restoring. He and a couple of mates will be there at Homesbush so looks like we will have quite a varied range of bikes.

So Roger..Dont tell me you are busy.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:53 am

So the meeting point is set then? We join up at the Cafe & Bike Hire for our guided tours behind a rather uncommon machine.

I'm frantically working on an authentic set of wheels for my ride so it will be as close to original as I can get it.

531db

Postby 531db » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Right, I've finally made my choice of ride for next Sunday. The Hetchin's won't have arrived from the UK in time, but another British classic, expertly restored will be with me :D

Anybody want to guess what it might be :?: :? :wink:

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:58 am

The Hobbs? Please let it be the Hobbs. [Hobbs of Barbican]
I have drooled over these for a while with the curly frame Hetchins & the Bates BAR running a close second, but recent purchases mean that one of these will always remain a dream. Bummer. Classic English Bike link