thinking of buying bike over seas

steve w

thinking of buying bike over seas

Postby steve w » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Has anyone heard of a web site called sale bikes.Its in Indonesia.has new bikes for sale very cheap maybe to cheap e.g 2012 Cervelo P5 SIX DURA-ACE DI2 with zipp 808 for wait for it $3,761.84. HAS ANYONE HAD DEALINGS WITH THIS WEB SITE. I HAVE CONTACTED THEM AND THEY SAID THEY WERE THE REAL THING WITH MANUFACTUERS WARRANTY. THIS SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE I THINK!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: thinking of buying bike over seas

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:20 pm

You'd be right too. Scam central.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

r11ss

Postby r11ss » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks for joining today and putting this up as your first post!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Indonesia + online site + bicycles = scam.

If you do buy a bike from overseas, find out what the import costs are. I remember a thread from a couple of years ago discussing import costs. They can be rather substantial.

jpc

Postby jpc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:07 pm

First hit on Google:

http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner ... 31100.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TL;DR: sale-bikes asks for money transfer rather than through Paypal or other secure online payment system, ergo scam.
Avanti Corsa DR 2.0

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm

briztoon wrote:If you do buy a bike from overseas, find out what the import costs are. I remember a thread from a couple of years ago discussing import costs. They can be rather substantial.
That might've been my thread as I bought my Ghost and imported it from Germany a couple of years ago. 5% duty and 10% GST will still likely work out cheaper than local and if you're lucky as I was, customs won't pick it up at all so you won't pay either.

That said, I agree this particular one is no doubt a scam.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:49 am

Hi

Two good overseas places to purchase bikes, accessories etc etc....

Here....

Evans Cycles
http://www.evanscycles.com/australia?cu ... iate-Brand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or here....

Ribble
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just talking about purchsing overseas, at the beginning of this year I took possession of a hand made musical instrument from France. It was pretty stressful tracking it as it made this amazing journey through France, Germany, the USA, Sydney and finally to my front door in Brisbane. Don't think that your overseas purchase will take the shortest route to Australia it is dependent on the courier (my instrument was with DHL). It was then uncerimoniously dumped at my feet at my front door, the box the instrument came in hacked open by customs and not sealed again properly. My instrument (thankyou GOD :D ) made it in one piece and not in matchsticks.

Keep this sort of thing in mind if purchasing a bike from overseas, mind you of course it can take abit more punishment that a delicate instrument.

I was hit with taxes in France (VAT) and GST and so on in Australia. (They will NOT release your purchase until you pay the big ones).

I came close to purchasing a frame from Ribble, but bought a Pro-Lite Cuneo GP frame instead here in Australia :D

Its now in the hands of the Bike Butler getting forks, headset, stem and handlebar fitted.

David