BB7 question

neild

BB7 question

Postby neild » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

I've recently converted my flat bar (Norco VFR) to drop bar. In doing so I've gone from Hayes 9 hydraulic to BB7 road cable.

I've found the BB7 aren't as powerful as the Hayes, they feel more like rim brakes, but are consistent no matter what the weather. So while I think they don't feel as good as they hydraulic, in the wet they feel like a well set up rim brake.

Now the questions.

I've done about 800km on them. The stock pads have started to squeal to the max. They're still ok, but I've replaced them with some cheap Jagwire ones and they are quiet. Is this a standard issue with the stock pads? Any recommendation for pads?

Second question is I'm not using the rotors that came with the brakes. My hubs are centre lock and they're 6 bolt. I've read a few things saying you should use the GS2? Rotors. Does it really matter? If so ill need to get centre lock to 6 bolt adapters. Are there any difference between cheap ones and expensive ones?

Thanks
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

Duck!
Expert

Re: BB7 question

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Stick with the rotors you've got if you don't want the brakes to get any louder. Try pulling a few good hard stops to really scuff any crud off the pads; disc brakes, mechanical and hydro, don't like being feathered, 'cos that will cook & glaze the surface, which will result in noise. They will also get noisy in the wet. Disc brakes rely on a layer of pad material embedded in the rotor for optimum performance (the bedding in process establishes this layer), and wet rides will flush a lot of this material off. All that aside, there are probably better pads than the stock Avid ones.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 pm

All disc brakes - mechanical and hydraulic - will squeal if the rotors are dirty. Isopropyl alcohol is how to clean them.
I contributed to a thread about this a few months ago - do a search and you will get all the info you need.
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen Avid labelled centrelock rotors somewhere but blowed if I can remember where. I wish they still sold the roundagons, better performance IMO than the later ones.

I give the rotors a wipe down every time I clean the drivetrain, reduces but never fully eliminated noise.
I'm happy with the performance I get from them on my commuter.

BB7 squeal is actually a cunningly designed integrated pedestrian warning system :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Really? Wow, I'm completely the reverse, I judge all disc brakes I come into contact with, based on my BB7's. I know if I'm not careful with shifting my weight and I slam that front brake, I'm going over the handlebars very easily. I put a 200mm rotor on the front though, so that may have something to do with it :roll: hahaha. What size rotor are you running?

I also loved the original avid pads that came with them. They worked well after they were burnt in. I've got EBC greens in the moment and they make it feel like rim brakes again (pads may have been slightly contaminated with crud when I put them on, my fault), but these were my first contact with semi-metallic pads rather than resin/organic.

What wipe are you getting on them? Is it like the fella who recently asked about his BB7's, which turned out to be needing a few spacers to get the pads in the correct position?

I agree with Mulgar B, brake squeal is better than a bell. lol. My Anthem has this horrible harmonic type squeal that's worse than nails on a chalkboard. Great for snapping people out of Ipods and out of fairyland. But horrible for the rider. lol. Brakes work great though, still trying to find the source....

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 pm

I recently replaced the pads on my BB7s with Nuke Proof DH pads. Chalk and cheese: much better grip and far quieter. No info on wear rate yet.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Mark Kelly wrote:I recently replaced the pads on my BB7s with Nuke Proof DH pads. Chalk and cheese: much better grip and far quieter. No info on wear rate yet.
Would appreciate a follow up once you've got some miles in thanks Mark :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:09 am

It'll be a while: I was 6 months in with the Avid pads and they were only about 50% worn, I replaced them because I was sick of the "Turkey Gobble". I went with the DH pads because I like riding hills and when there's 100 kg of me and bike plunging down the Gisborne side of Mt Macedon I figure I need something designed for pretty extreme conditions.

Frankly, even if I get half the durability I'd call it good enough, it's an extra $20 a year for far better performance and no turkeys.