Peter Mac - Ride to Conquer Cancer Route

marty_one

Peter Mac - Ride to Conquer Cancer Route

Postby marty_one » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am

I have been following this event a bit more closely since I lost my father to cancer in June, as I am going to take part in next years event. They posted the route of the ride recently, which to say I was a little disappointed with:

http://ml13.conquercancer.org.au/site/P ... ml13_route" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I would love to see something like this ride out into country vic instead of down to the beach.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

takeitasread

Re: Peter Mac - Ride to Conquer Cancer Route

Postby takeitasread » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:18 pm

It is for a good cause but I gotta say it is a high pressure event as far as fund raising is concerned. We had a team of eight and raised over 20 grand last year without being too fussed about spreading the money between the eight. One of our guys was under the threshold amount and they weren't going to let him ride until we threatened to pull the team out and even then only let him ride grudgingly, which I thought was most unusual.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Until today I did not realise that you had to raise at least $2500 before you could even take part of the ride. That has put me off slightly though, $2500 for me is a lot of money to try and raise when I have not done any fund raising before.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:29 pm

It is definitely hard to raise $2500 these days. However if you break it down per month, it is an easier target. Most of my donations come just before the end of financial year so everyone can get their receipts for claiming with their tax.

This is my third year. I found Facebook useless for fund raising. Don't be afraid to email your friends, family, work colleagues, etc for a donation. I was surprised how many donations I received once I sent the email.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:04 am

I did it last year, got the target but was lucky that I work in a company with 200 people on email and play at a footy club with a good email distibution list.

$2,500 is not to be sneezed at though

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:31 pm

takeitasread wrote:It is for a good cause but I gotta say it is a high pressure event as far as fund raising is concerned. We had a team of eight and raised over 20 grand last year without being too fussed about spreading the money between the eight. One of our guys was under the threshold amount and they weren't going to let him ride until we threatened to pull the team out and even then only let him ride grudgingly, which I thought was most unusual.
Sadly I had a similar experience... I was all gun ho ready to go, till they got a little shirty about the funds upfront. That made me a little gun shy... I had the funds ready to go, but my riding partner didn't.

They were quite persistent too, on the follow up phone calls... even after I politely declined by saying I couldn't make the date, as an act of solidarity to my riding budy.

It sadly made me become a little cynical about the whole thing. I couldn't help thinking YES - its a good cause, but with so many of these researches and doctors driving expensive prestige cars and riding overpriced Pinarellos and what not, I thought to myself there are many charities that are equally quite deserving.

In my mind, I'd have thought any extra dollar is a bonus... even just generating awareness would be worth it. Evidently, not in their minds.

I hope this doesn't burn others off from doing it, just sharing my experience.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Dimis wrote: Sadly I had a similar experience... I was all gun ho ready to go, till they got a little shirty about the funds upfront. That made me a little gun shy... I had the funds ready to go, but my riding partner didn't.

They were quite persistent too, on the follow up phone calls... even after I politely declined by saying I couldn't make the date, as an act of solidarity to my riding budy.

It sadly made me become a little cynical about the whole thing. I couldn't help thinking YES - its a good cause, but with so many of these researches and doctors driving expensive prestige cars and riding overpriced Pinarellos and what not, I thought to myself there are many charities that are equally quite deserving.

In my mind, I'd have thought any extra dollar is a bonus... even just generating awareness would be worth it. Evidently, not in their minds.

I hope this doesn't burn others off from doing it, just sharing my experience.
Interesting, think I might just make a donation directly to the cancer research and keep doing the other cycling events I like to do and ignore. It just seems like its put on more for groups supported by corporations than individuals who want to part take in the event. I work in a small company, I could potentially get donations from other local groups, but really I think I might be pushing smelly stuff uphill to reach the target.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 pm

marty_one wrote:
Interesting, think I might just make a donation directly to the cancer research and keep doing the other cycling events I like to do and ignore. It just seems like its put on more for groups supported by corporations than individuals who want to part take in the event. I work in a small company, I could potentially get donations from other local groups, but really I think I might be pushing smelly stuff uphill to reach the target.
I can only speak for the Brisbane ride. I have participated in all three years. The big problem when you have a ride like his is insurance etc. however, regardless of this, the minimum goal almost put me off in the first year. However I am really glad I participated. It is a far more emotional ride than the other charity rides I have participated in. It is also far better organized than other rides. You have to raise about $200 per month (approx). This is how I look at it. Over the three years, we have now raised over $25,000 (my team mate and I). Just break it down to manageable targets and it happens.

I have no association with the ride other than as a rider who has already registered for next year's ride.

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 am

It is a great cause, no doubt, but seriously whoever is in charge of the event has some curious ideas. We found it high pressure stuff and the persistent phone calls from them simply weren't warranted. Never again, there are plenty of other great causes out there.

WITHND

Postby WITHND » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:53 pm

I have just registered interest in this years ride however after reading the above it is already leaving a sour taste in my mouth... Would rather them have a more realistic entry fee and cap rider numbers first in best dressed not enforce such a high per rider $ target... $2,500 per person is a huge sum given i was going to do this with my partner and our friends it is going to be almost impossible to get $10k for 4 of us and if you miss the target no ride but they get the ..

Great cause but very questionable funding tactics :(

Also the nice lady did not mention I had to get the $2,500 to ride funny that get you committed for $50 and then bam hope you can get another $2,500 or no ride >>>

Any other similar events I could look into doing that don't require months of spamming colleagues / friends for cash?

Cheers
Scott
2021 Cervelo Caledonia
2015 Jamis Xenith Pro

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Well there is this thread:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 14&t=68135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

GTPilot

Postby GTPilot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:14 pm

I ride in the great cycle challenge last year. That was raising money for kids cancer.
No registration fees
No minimum targets
No specific event.

Just nominate you goal over the month of October in the amount of k's you'll ride, rally the troops to donate, and ride. Ride when you want and how and where you want. If you normally ride 1000k per month challenge your self and nominate 1500.

WITHND

Postby WITHND » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 pm

marty_one wrote:Well there is this thread:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 14&t=68135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GTPilot wrote:I ride in the great cycle challenge last year. That was raising money for kids cancer.
No registration fees
No minimum targets
No specific event.

Just nominate you goal over the month of October in the amount of k's you'll ride, rally the troops to donate, and ride. Ride when you want and how and where you want. If you normally ride 1000k per month challenge your self and nominate 1500.
Thanks Marty & GT Pilot yeah I am actually aiming to do the shorter triathlons in the 2014-2105 Gatorade Tri-Series so that may end up keeping me out of trouble for a while and might aim to do one of the endurance rides after mid 2015 when I turn 40 also should have far better legs / endurance by then as only been on my road bike for a few weeks so far :)

Cheers
Scott
2021 Cervelo Caledonia
2015 Jamis Xenith Pro

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm registered for this year's ride with my wife. Slowly working on fundraising but it isn't easy. Just as well people at work like chocolate!

Gotta get some more training miles in too!

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:44 pm

MattyK wrote:I'm registered for this year's ride with my wife. Slowly working on fundraising but it isn't easy. Just as well people at work like chocolate!

Gotta get some more training miles in too!
Expect high pressure tactics from the organisers regarding your fundraising.

Never again. Just saying.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Yeah, they've been on the phone several times. Not aggressive mind you, mostly they appear encouraging with regards to training and offering tips for fundraising. But yeah, it was all my wife's idea, the fundraising thing is new to me and I hate hassling friends.

Next time they call though I will be asking how much % of the fundraising actually goes to research/equipment, and how much goes on overheads...

husked

Postby husked » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:40 pm

I was considering this ride, although I've never done it before, but heard about it for many years. This thread in particular has put me off the ride, it seems the pressure to fundraise would be frustrating considering those that want to ride may more or less have personal reasons or a goal for themselves, don't get me wrong fundraising is great and all but when you have community fundraising events and such (e.g run for the kids) pressure like people describe make it feel more like selling steak knives than doing it for the cause.
I do wish all those fundraising and the ride itself all the best.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:50 pm

This whole concept is kind of Pyramid-scheme like... It's hard for a large company to approach random people and get their donations, so they recruit you to harass your friends and colleagues to do the fundraising work for them. Don't make the minimum target? No biggie, we'll take your $50 donation anyway..

I was interested in the ride when they first did it, then saw the fundraising requirements and lack of ride information, so immediately discounted it. It's especially bad that they don't announce the route until many people are already committed to the fundraising. The previous routes have seemed pretty boring, but at least the ride support seems to be improving with each iteration (the first one was apparently non-existant).

The whole thing stinks if you ask me... it really only seems to tug on the emotions of those who have (or had) family or friends with cancer in order to recruit more fundraising bodies!

As mentioned previously - organise a proper, interesting ride and charge a reasonable entry fee which lets you gain some profits. For me, the AGF Gran Fondo is the perfect example of what they should be doing.

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 pm

have to say you're spot on cerb; you are compelled to hassle friends for $$$$sss - they call you asking for $$$$ss and then make you feel guilty if you haven't hit your target. the name bugs the hell out of me let's pick the most emotive name as if riding in this crap event will somehow cure cancer. and finally after asking them questions, yes they are a company and yes not all the money raised goes to Peter Mac, so what's the point of putting on an event when you could just donate directly to Peter Mac? think profiteering from cancer might be a better description.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:24 pm

The aforementioned 'fundraising' pressures certainly take a bit of the shine off this event. $2.5k is a fair bit to ask - granted, it is a ride for a very worthy cause, but I'd rather donate my own way and ride with my mates - as well as participate in other charitable rides with a lot less pressure.

One thing I do wonder, though, is where the funding is drawn from to support the very visible advertising campaigns for this ride???

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

yeh66

Postby yeh66 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:12 pm

I have signed up for this years ride in sydney and feel as if I was conned. They didnt tell me if I didn't raise the $2500 I couldnt ride now, I literally had to ask very directly and even then they were coy and just suggested fund raising ideas. My sister has had to pull out due to not being able to raise the funds and I asked if they could transfer her donations to my fundraising and they refused to do it so now I have had to self pledge $900! They also advertised a picturesque route from Homebush to Sydney, well its a tour of Parramatta, Merrylands, Wetherill Park, St Marys sounds like the burbs to me.
So disappointed with the whole event feel like pulling out but have come this far...

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:28 pm

If you had read my post earlier (scroll up to the top and see the second post on this thread) I gave a pretty good summation of how they operate and most of the other posts reflect similar views. I'm not actually sure if anybody has been even remotely complimentary towards the whole thing, although hopefully the money raised (and all of it) goes to the right place as the cause speaks for itself.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 pm

As a Brisbane participant going into the fifth year of participating in this event, I can understand the concerns. However I have seen the results the money raised has brought about. Too many of my friends and family have died of cancer in the last 5 years. This year I rode the afterburner section as well, even though it was p1$$ing down raining. Why? Because I thought I had Prostate cancer. This year, 2014, I helped get a 73 year old grandmother ready for the ride. She decided to do it two months before the ride. Not only did she raise the funds but she didn't have a bike.

I can only speak about the Brisbane RTCC. The fund raising is hard and I have had to drop out of all other charity rides. But the ride is always worth it. Each year it becomes more emotional as there are more names to add to the list.

They are not con artists. They understand how hard it is to raise the money. Minimum is due to insurance, etc.

I have no association with them. Just a participant cycling to help stop my family dying from cancer.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Just steer off in a slightly different direction, has any body happened to do the Cycling Victoria recreation rides ?

http://vic.cycling.org.au/Recreation/Wh ... -Challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed that they do fund raising as well, where proceeds go to the Cancer Council. For those that have participated is the fund raising a voluntary thing?

Doing an event like this while also being able to donate to the cancer council is a far more attractive option for me, and the ride looks to be quiet good. As it doesn't take too much time away from home (I have a very young family). Plus I get to ride around country vic, instead down to the beach and back!
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:10 am

marty_one wrote:Just steer off in a slightly different direction, has any body happened to do the Cycling Victoria recreation rides ?

http://vic.cycling.org.au/Recreation/Wh ... -Challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed that they do fund raising as well, where proceeds go to the Cancer Council. For those that have participated is the fund raising a voluntary thing?

Doing an event like this while also being able to donate to the cancer council is a far more attractive option for me, and the ride looks to be quiet good. As it doesn't take too much time away from home (I have a very young family). Plus I get to ride around country vic, instead down to the beach and back!
Ive done the Challenge Series the last 2 years and highly recommend them. The donation is part of the entry fee and there is an option to donate extra if people wish but no hard sell or push to do so, I think the only catch is you have to be CA silver member, which is well worth having anyway for the insurance component for anytime you are on your bike. I agree with the country route rec. rides are easily much better than any I have done down the peninsula or closer to the city.

Have also done the Ballarat Cycle classic which supports a local cancer research institute and 100% of the entry fee goes to them which also has an option to donate extra if you wish but also no hard sell to do so. This ride entry is fully tax deductible and very well organised.