The Dicky Ticker Thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
toolonglegs

The Dicky Ticker Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Had to get some tests done in the last few day after getting an ECG done for my medical.
ECG said I had Extreme Bradycardy ( 35 bpm during the test ) ... goes a fair bit lower at rest... also doesn't go anywhere near as high as it used to. But I need to check my heart rate strap is accurate as I only just started wearing one after 2 years with out. But my max seems to have dropped 20 bpm in 2 or so years.
High T waves indicating possible Hyperkalemia ... whoops on the banana diet?...after the test it appears not.
L'HVG ... I think in English that means enlarged left ventricle... I have a leaky valve.

So doc sent me for a blood test.
My blood levels seem OK.
Potassium 4,2 mmol/l ( normal range 3,6 to 5,1 ) ... so my diet isn't the issue.
Cholesterol ... well I never understand these.

Cholesterol total is 1,88 g/l ( 1,50 to 2,00 )
HDL 0,29 g/l ( 0 to 0,55 )
Cholesterol Total divided by Cholesterol HDL = 6,48 ( less than 5 )
Triglycerides 1,63 g/l ( 0,45 to 1,50 )
LDL 1,26 g/l

So I think Cholesterol is average except my Cholesterol / HDL Cholesterol level isn't... need to did out my old tests as I think it is better than two years ago.

Apolipoprotein A1 is low.

Hmmm... so back to the doc I think :| .

winstonw

Re: The Dicky Ticker Thread

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote: Cholesterol total is 1,88 g/l ( 1,50 to 2,00 )
HDL 0,29 g/l ( 0 to 0,55 )
Cholesterol Total divided by Cholesterol HDL = 6,48 ( less than 5 )
Triglycerides 1,63 g/l ( 0,45 to 1,50 )
LDL 1,26 g/l

So I think Cholesterol is average except my Cholesterol / HDL Cholesterol level isn't... need to did out my old tests as I think it is better than two years ago.

Apolipoprotein A1 is low.

Hmmm... so back to the doc I think :| .
how tall are you and what's your waist circumference?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:04 pm

194cm... Waist is 91cm

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 pm

91 isn't too bad, though it'd make a diff to get it under 90. from regression models, 88cm would be a reasonable target.
those bloods could be interpreted as you carrying too much bodyfat, amongst other things.

am still a bit unclear what you are eating these days, but my go to is that you can never wrong increasing your steamed vegetable and salad intake, which means more fibrous carbs. I'd guess you are probably still taking in too many Calories from fruit and starch (pasta, bread, rice?)...and presume you still do large slabs of fatty cholesterol loaded French cheese from time to time.

I've arranged to get 3 MRIs tomorrow (helps to know the local radiology clinic well) lumbar spine, (L) hip and knee. have never had my back done, but I've felt I herniated L5 when young, so will be very interesting.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:39 pm

winstonw wrote:91 isn't too bad, though it'd make a diff to get it under 90. from regression models, 88cm would be a reasonable target.
those bloods could be interpreted as you carrying too much bodyfat, amongst other things.

am still a bit unclear what you are eating these days, but my go to is that you can never wrong increasing your steamed vegetable and salad intake, which means more fibrous carbs. I'd guess you are probably still taking in too many Calories from fruit and starch (pasta, bread, rice?)...and presume you still do large slabs of fatty cholesterol loaded French cheese from time to time.

I've arranged to get 3 MRIs tomorrow (helps to know the local radiology clinic well) lumbar spine, (L) hip and knee. have never had my back done, but I've felt I herniated L5 when young, so will be very interesting.
88cm will probably be possible as I still aiming to lose another 5 to 8 kgs ... but I will be getting pretty lanky by then.
Fibre... I am getting over 100 grams of fibre most days.
Zero dairy products for 3 months. ALso zero eggs.
Lots of fruit.
Not a lot of bread, once a week maybe.
Not much pasta, once every two or three weeks.
Rice, medium portion every two or three days.
Salad ... one or two huge bowls a day, very little dressing if any.
Tomatoes, beetroot, cucumber, palm hearts etc... up to a kilo a day.
One hot meal a day ... usually Indian in origin ( very little olive oil, 1 tablespoon shared between about 10 portions ) ... apart from that just vegetables, lentils, chick peas, potatoes although usually sweet potato ... put it this way, I eat insanely healthy. But at ratios of 80% carb, 10 % or less fat and protein. Fat comes from avocado or walnuts and tiny bit of olive oil.
Could cut back salt a bit but it is already low.

I will try and find my old tests for cholesterol ... last time I was tested was when I was off the bike for a year, I obviously have a bit of trouble clearing it from my body. There is family history there. Not sure how long it takes to change cholesterol levels after changing diet.
There is also family history in leaky valves!.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 pm

well that's all healthy stuff. but you still have to get the body fat down, especially visceral stuff...and most excess food gets converted to fat, including all fruit, vege, starch, and legumes.

contemplate this:
compared to a cup of salad or vege:
- a cup of any cooked whole starches or legumes has roughly 8x the energy content
- a cup of mixed fruit has 2-3x the energy content

fwiw, I rode 404k/5100m on the weekend....I now weigh the same as I did the day before the ride.

regarding volume of fibre as a goal, I am friends with Australia's foremost vegan dietitian...and we caught up on Sunday night. We got to talking about weight loss education. She reckons the only thing that needs to be taught is to aim for a certain high quantity of fibre. This is because in her view most people who are overweight replace low energy density high fibre foods with higher density low fibre foods.

My argument back is that I know lots of people who eat only healthy unprocessed whole foods (like you TLL and many SDA vegans), who have weight issues; and that it is all too easy to eat too much starchy carb or fruit, and not enough fibrous carb, while still hitting the fibre intake target.

At the end of the day, the science says the surest way to lose weight is to know reasonably accurately how much you are burning, and how much you are eating. Everything else is a compromise.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 pm

The weight lose is pretty easy these days... I am pretty sure I will hit my goal of a BMI of 22 with out too much effort ( 24 now ).
More worried about pushing myself like I do if my heart is playing up.
Need to borrow another HRM to check if mine is accurate ... not being able to get HR over 175'ish is a worry. Either it is a faulty HRM or something is up.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 pm

well even with the steepest climbs or fastest 5-20min intervals, I rarely get my HR over 155, and I'm 54. My RHR is 45, but dips into the 30s at night. My BP is 120/70. My GP thinks my heart is very very healthy....that is until I told him about the atrial fibrillation I had about 7 years ago. I had an ultrasound back then and consulted three cardiologists and they didn't find a regurgitating (faulty) valve, so assumed I've got conduction issues.

most of my riding mates of the same vintage cannot believe how low my HR is during races. theirs are up around 165-180, and mine is about 140-150.

anyway, some say bradycardia helps you live longer. maybe it is that people who have it, tend to not thrash themselves physically due to compromised energy.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 pm

I have a leaky valve also TLL but then again mine has three in the shape of a Merc symbol. :shock:

My resting heart rate was never below 50bpm and that was when I was 20yrs and almost 100% fit. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:01 pm

And Foo, my RHR is lower now than when I was internationally competitive in rowing.
Not pointing the finger at anyone, but it's funny how we accept our eyes, ears, knees, etc can age, but not our heart and the nerves that control it!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:18 am

Being active has a lot to do with it I believe Winstonw and not only for the heart. When I was hit by the truck the Drs were amazed I had no broken bones, fractured scone yes but no broken bits. Also told me that if it wasn't for the fact that I was very fit I would have been a vegetable. :shock:

Do you know that if you have had a heart attack, that vacuuming the floor is one of the worst things you could do but you can have sex sooner, than vacuum. :wink: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 am

winstonw wrote:And Foo, my RHR is lower now than when I was internationally competitive in rowing.
Not pointing the finger at anyone, but it's funny how we accept our eyes, ears, knees, etc can age, but not our heart and the nerves that control it!
Yeah but when the eyes, ears and knees go we just slow down... when the heart goes we die :P .

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 am

not always straight away though TLL. i.e.
- reduced cardiac output due to stiffening less efficient valves. just as we can get calcium being laid down inappropriately in tendons, it can be laid down in the valves hardening them to the point they won't form a good seal in the closed position.
- and being overweight not only lays down fat inside coronary arteries, but layers around the heart, and scatters within coronary muscle, which compromises circulation and repair from huge rides, and tends to scar up and stiffen the muscle moreso. When our legs stiffen after hard rides, you can get them massaged, not the poor old heart.
- and then there's always congenital defects, which will more quickly fail on poor diet.

This is why I am a bit of a food Nazi. People just seem to have a disconnect between their health and what they put in their mouths. Though I'd say you are a lot healthier than the majority TLL, just by being a vego. But keeping trim and managing stress is all part of the equation.
Actually, rather than just get a few joints MRI'd today, I should have arranged dynamic cardiac MRI, which can pick up valve issues, perfusion defects, and scarring.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 am

toolonglegs wrote:
winstonw wrote:And Foo, my RHR is lower now than when I was internationally competitive in rowing.
Yeah but when the eyes, ears and knees go we just slow down... when the heart goes we die :P .
La la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaa not listening. :mrgreen:

Some would say I don't have a heart. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:34 am

toolonglegs wrote:
Need to borrow another HRM to check if mine is accurate ... not being able to get HR over 175'ish is a worry. Either it is a faulty HRM or something is up.
Just pull over and take your pulse. Bit hard to count at that rate but good enough to see if the hrm is accurate.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Lol... I can check my pulse lying in bed ok... But pulling over after a full out effort, don't like my chances :-) . My heart rate drops back pretty quickly so would be hard to get an accurate reading in 10 secs to compare against the garmin.
Anyway for the moment I am not accepting performance decrease as I am still setting KOM's on climbs :-) ... Although not on the two test climbs... Yet!.
Very little stress in my life which is good.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:13 pm

PS... Can certainly see the attraction of HGH if you can afford it lol.

Blue Racer

Postby Blue Racer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi,

Just had to open this thread with such an eye catching title. Never thought too much about the heart until earlier this year. Since I was 16 I have had regular medicals which have indicated good health. I have a definite family history of cardio myopathy - which I hoped had passed me by until earlier this year. My eldest brother stroked at 56yo mainly due to this being undiagnosed in him. My mum now 84yo has been diagnosed for around 25 years - she has outlived at least one of her cardiologists.

I have had cardiac echoes at 2 yearly intervals and the last one indicated early onset. Now on some daily meds to assist with management. I certainly have learnt a lot about my body and heart since then. I was truly amazed at the effect medication had on my physical abilities. I also had the passing thought that if meds make readily recognisable improvements in someone who is "older" and with a dicky ticker , what the hell do PED's do to someone who is young , fit and healthy - it gave me a new insight into the "Secret Racer".

I still enjoy the bike as much as ever - maybe even more so because I appreciate being able to do it just a little bit more.

Stay healthy people - I know a few people with "heart" conditions and they are some of the fittest people I know.

F182

Postby F182 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:19 pm

HI Great thread, first post abit on my story, male 51 yrs young I used to race in Kalgoorlie 4 odd years ago and went sailing and now in Cairns. Have been on and off the bike in the past years with no pains just feeling flat but could not improve on the bike. My brother had a heart attack 48yrs old and is recovering ok, I got in to a cardiologist and found out I had major blockages in my main arteries. 3 stents later and a month, Iam running on all cylinders riding well improving already. Family history of hyper-cholestrol which adds up to my problems. Just look out I had no pain which would cause me to mention to a doctor or go to an ER. My blockage where >95% in two arteries I was very lucky.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk 2

F182

Postby F182 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:17 pm

HI first post,

My story follows, my younger brother has a heart attack early July at 48yrs and is recovering. Got my self off to cardiologist only to find I have blockages in 2 main arteries. 3 Stents later Iam off and running feeling great have been flat for the last few years.

My 2 arteries were >95% block I had no pain which would lead to me going to a GP or ER. At the doctors I always present as being fit with blood pressure normal ect, but have a family history of hyper-cholesterol which is medicated.

On the bike which has been On/Off due to sailing of the last 3 years has been lack luster without improvement.

I presented with out pain even during a failed stress test.

Everyone different, thats my quick story.

Stay safe and healthly

GH

Postby GH » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Its interesting to see all the positive responses in this thread, showing that a diagnosis is not a death sentence just a wake up call if you are smart.

I had my heart attack in 2008, I was 54, no lead up signs, just went to lift the hard lid on my ute to put some stuff in there on a Friday night for a race day the following day, and simply had to sit down.

Cutting out the weekend in hospital before seeing real doctor, Monday I had the angiogram, despite being told all weekend there were no indicators of a heart attack with enzyme level in the very low normal range, to find 90% plus blockage of the common left branch artery whatever it is called. Just as they got near it with the stent, it disappeared but surgeon decided to put stent in anyway, probably a good choice. ;)

So here I am now, a few years later, got all my competition and aviation licences back and riding the pushies as much as I can, and keeping my weight etc under check, 70-73kg and 178cm.

Cycling, although I had done it recreationally all my life, is now part of my life routine, and loving it.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Lol... I can check my pulse lying in bed ok... But pulling over after a full out effort, don't like my chances :-) . My heart rate drops back pretty quickly so would be hard to get an accurate reading in 10 secs to compare against the garmin.
Seriously not that hard. Pull over count for 15 sec multiply x 4 and check against current Garmin reading.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:32 am

Hit 181 according to strava today, didn't really have a clear hard sprint... so I suppose there is a few more bpm's in there, tomorrow maybe in a 70km points race :mrgreen: .
I really am a diesel!... 70km race, OK is wasn't overly hard and I was really wanting a bunch sprint, but it wasn't easy as well.
Z1 - Endurance 0-112 04:05 4%
Z2 - Moderate 112-148 1:20:36 73%
Z3 - Tempo 148-166 26:02 23%
Z4 - Threshold 166-184 00:23 0%
Z5 - Anaerobic 184+ 00:00 0%
Av 135
:lol: I really couldn't train by heart rate as my heart rate hardly moves between cruising and pretty hard ... only really goes up in a really long hard sprint!.
Feel happier now though as the doc called after the blood tests and said there is nothing to worry about.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:16 pm

what time of day did you get the tests done, TLL? i can't get my HR up in the morning - a phenomenon which has been observed by others.

these are 2 commutes i did yesterday - relatively flat, 1 in each direction (not directly comparable). the top one is the morning commute, the bottom in the evening.
the difference in HR is precisely how i feel - flat in the morning, more energetic in the evening. my legs are always heavy in the morning and shout at me well before my HR rises. i think i'm an extreme example of this, as i get passed by everyone in the morning. i can lift my pace, but it feels unnatural - like i'm forcing it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Most of my races start in the afternoon ... Saturday's I got up to 181 in the sprint, but it was not a very hard lead out so no surprise I didn't go higher. Sundays I was feeling it and didn't have the kick I needed, especially for a points race... still I buried myself pretty hard on a few occasions and it never got very high. I now think my max maybe around 185... so thats not so bad, 6 bpm drop over 4 years... will know for sure when I really get a chance to bury myself :mrgreen: .