Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

mattwilkinson

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby mattwilkinson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Hey guys,

Looking to eventually get a new frame, I really like to look of the DengFu FM098...
Where does everyone buy them now that VeloBuild have called it quits?

Are FM098's the way to go or are there other nice chinese bikes out there?

ajs_1971

Postby ajs_1971 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:57 am

Have you had a look at alibaba.com
You can view feedback from previous customers and communicate directly with sellers. My advice, based on personal experience is use EMS for shipping. DO NOT use China Air, even if its cheap or free, the hassle just ain't worth it!
Just a thought...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 am

mattwilkinson wrote:.
Where does everyone buy them now that VeloBuild have called it quits?
Whats happening with VeloBuild?

Rex

Postby Rex » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:46 pm

mattwilkinson wrote: Where does everyone buy them now that VeloBuild have called it quits?
Yes I noticed their site is not fully functional anymore.

I'm hoping to get some non-farsport carbon clinchers, I might check out alibaba.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Yeah I use Alibaba a lot for online reselling.

It's strange, Buy off Alibaba not Aliexpress, Even from DengFu direct they still have it cheaper, But you will have to contact them.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Has something changed recently with alibaba, I thought that was scam central?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Has something changed recently with alibaba, I thought that was scam central?
You just have to watch out for it, never ever ever buy anything 'branded' unless its can be counterfeited :D.

Like if you buy a complete pinarello with sram red for $1,500, its never going to turn up...
If you buy the frame, it will likely. But you can't really counterfeit bike products, So any discount on them will be a red flag.

Same with 'OEM' phones, all those really cheap iphones are either android knockoffs or they will never turn up...
I've never actually bought something and been scammed off Alibaba, But I mainly use Aliexpress which have a better dispute system

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 pm

And on Friday I just picked up from an LBS my first ever dually ... $660 carbon HongFu frame (also sold by DengFu) designated as the FM-076.

Politically, I never had the clout to justify N+1 with the Minister of War and Finance, so had to do an upgrade of my current bike to make apparently The Last Ever 26" MTB Anyone Will Ever Buy.

Dealing with the Chinese retailer was surprisingly easy, including paint, sizing, bottom bracket choice. I declined custom logo, such as 'US Postal' or 'Nino Schurter's Stunt Double'.

The front derailleur mounted differently from my previous setup, so the stealth upgrade from Deore to XT has begun. The tapered steerer required another fork, so I had to source that online too as another cost.

I have no idea whether it will simply split in two the first time I do anything I used to try on the old bike, but it survived a 20 minute spin up and around the rocky Yarra cliff trails near Kew, feeling very noice.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 pm

My girl friend bought me a set of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230982184053 ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arrived yesterday so fitted but no ride yet, look good and feel solid but time will tell a tale

zephyrus17

Postby zephyrus17 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:38 pm

I've saved up around $4500 and I'm debating if I should get a new bike off the shelf (LBS or bikeechange) or go the Chinese route. I've been riding for close to a year on a 2010 Merida Ride 91 with a Sora groupset. I'm no where a pro rider, but I've gotten to the point where I'd like a better set of tools and I want to make a deeper investment to further enjoy the sport.

I guess going with off the shelf is 'safe', but with China carbon I can probably get a better deal for my money. I'm decent with tools, so assembly is no problem for me. I'm just a bit uncertain which path to take. I'd love any advise given.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 am

$4500 to spend no way in hell would I be buying china anything.. You will get a good brand bike with di2 and good wheels for that money..

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm

zephyrus17 wrote:I've saved up around $4500 and I'm debating if I should get a new bike off the shelf (LBS or bikeechange) or go the Chinese route. I've been riding for close to a year on a 2010 Merida Ride 91 with a Sora groupset. I'm no where a pro rider, but I've gotten to the point where I'd like a better set of tools and I want to make a deeper investment to further enjoy the sport.

I guess going with off the shelf is 'safe', but with China carbon I can probably get a better deal for my money. I'm decent with tools, so assembly is no problem for me. I'm just a bit uncertain which path to take. I'd love any advise given.
Have you built up many bikes yourself, especially tooling with carbon components? I did a heap of research last year on the process of laying up carbon and rider reviews on the Chinese versions. Check out this guy who built his own https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDnH9_Q4ijE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite an involved process but you appreciate the differences what design, quality control and finishes can produce.

Tooling up your own bike(s) and testing componentry is very satisfying but you need to invest in the appropriate tools (expensive torque wrench for carbon builds) and time/patience. But then a lot of cyclists are not that interested(or confident with tooling) or rather spend the time cycling so it's really up to you how you want to invest all your hard earned cash and time. Otherwise just save the money or do a training program and ride what you've got as you'll get a lot more out of the sport by improving your ability rather than splashing out on the gear.

Test ride a few bikes in that price range as plenty allow you to rent quality demo bikes these days so you can take them for a big ride to really find out what you want. You've got a lot to consider and wildly different options - just don't get caught up and blindly splash your hard earned cash until you've done a bit more research :mrgreen: And yeah, $4.5k is a lot of cash to even consider Chinese.
1972 LeJeune World Champion - Nuovo Record
1980's Hendry custom built - Tricolour 600
1995 Serotta Legend Ti - SRAM Red

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 pm

dale79 wrote:$4500 to spend no way in hell would I be buying china anything.. You will get a good brand bike with di2 and good wheels for that money..
+1

I only went Chinese because my budget was half that.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm

simonn wrote:
dale79 wrote:$4500 to spend no way in hell would I be buying china anything.. You will get a good brand bike with di2 and good wheels for that money..
+1

you've got a budget? my wife is an accountant. I'm thinking of purchasing it piece by piece under the ops/maintenance budget :oops:

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:43 pm

jasonc wrote:
simonn wrote:
+1

you've got a budget? my wife is an accountant. I'm thinking of purchasing it piece by piece under the ops/maintenance budget :oops:
Yes, I have (a self-imposed) one. Not giving my wife any more justification to go on a spending spree! :lol:

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:46 pm

jasonc wrote:
haha, I tell my missus that I buy more bikes/parts with the intention of selling the rest I don't need. Might be a problem now that I've got a bike, a frame and spare set of wheels in the bedroom with bikes already in the back porch.

So if you have a 'procurement manager' to report to, maybe check with them too :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:49 pm

lloyd83 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
haha, I tell my missus that I buy more bikes/parts with the intention of selling the rest I don't need. Might be a problem now that I've got a bike, a frame and spare set of wheels in the bedroom with bikes already in the back porch.

So if you have a 'procurement manager' to report to, maybe check with them too :wink:
hmmm. my problem is deliveries go to her work. So my finance manager is also my logistics co-ordinator. I could see a break in the supply chain.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:58 pm

zephyrus17 wrote:I've saved up around $4500 and I'm debating if I should get a new bike off the shelf (LBS or bikeechange) or go the Chinese route. I've been riding for close to a year on a 2010 Merida Ride 91 with a Sora groupset. I'm no where a pro rider, but I've gotten to the point where I'd like a better set of tools and I want to make a deeper investment to further enjoy the sport.

Honestly you don't need to spend that much. That's well beyond the price vs performance table I go off.
Certainly go down the China frame route and your own groupset with contact points, but buy an off the shelf or custom wheel-set, allot of China rims have been farked of late so steer clear.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Yeah depends what you're buying by $2k will get you a nice china frame with quality parts, a nice groupset and good wheels from the UK. My ~2 year old chinese road bike has served me well on many long rides and races, it's certainly not noticeably different to other bikes costing twice as much.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:15 pm

$4500 for bike only? will you upgrade helmet? shoes? gps? etc?...cos that will eat $1k pretty easily.

At that price point, your choices

1) china frame with super awesome group and wheels
2) high end lightly used second hand market,
3) current or 2014 mid level models
4) last years high end models on run out

i think option 4 is the path to take, might take some shopping round, but a bargain is surly to be had on higher end 2013 models with 2014 stuff on its way soon

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:14 pm

jaseyjase wrote: $4500 for bike only? will you upgrade helmet? shoes? gps? etc?...cos that will eat $1k pretty easily.

At that price point, your choices

1) china frame with super awesome group and wheels
2) high end lightly used second hand market,
3) current or 2014 mid level models
4) last years high end models on run out

i think option 4 is the path to take, might take some shopping round, but a bargain is surly to be had on higher end 2013 models with 2014 stuff on its way soon
Let's not forget that the OP admitted he's no where a pro rider so I think spending all the $4.5k on just gear is not a great ROI. But I'm all for an enthusiast as long as they can afford their new toy :mrgreen: I still hold the thought that he could get more out of the sport by investing in a training program/coach (myself included :lol: ).

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Mrs Waka's bike is on the net at the moment. (not a free bump) ;)
Her group set is fine just really needs a bigger frame. Would I be able to get a womens frame? If so what's the websites to look at. It might keep her on the roadie with any luck!
She is a 5'5"(165cm) currently riding a small male MTB. So thinking 51cm downtube on a roadie, any model number recommendations, probably a more relaxed than race geom. Looking on Alibaba, dengfu and hongfu sites.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:08 am

Which would probably be made in China anyway? :?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:11 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Which would probably be made in China anyway? :?
Yeh by a company that has standards to meet and will back their products..

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am

For thread flow.
Ended up buying a Giant TCR W for Mrs Waka..
SRAM Force 20 Compact Double, Giant P-SL0.. Etc. Don't think I could have built it for what I paid...