Completed only my 2nd 100km Ride

auswi2

Completed only my 2nd 100km Ride

Postby auswi2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:42 am

Went out and done the Redland Classic Yesterday.

This was a nice ride a few nice hills which did hurt. Struggled round the 50 - 80km mark but managed to power on after that time. Done the ride in 3hrs and 53mins at 25.1kph Average at a average of 80 for cadence. Happy with that time but still need alot of work to do with the endurance side of riding.

I have noting but respect for the Men and Women who do these distances on a regular basis.

My advise for new riders wanting to do 100km is to build yourself up to that distance and stay relaxed on the ride

Thanks

Auswi2

find_bruce

Re: Completed only my 2nd 100km Ride

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am

Done well, rode strong

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am

Well done, Auswis. As long as you don't "let yourself go" you should be able to add ten percent more distance to your previous best records without doing anything special in prep.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 am

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Great effort mate!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Good stuff Auswi2!

It's a great feeling when you finally crack that barrier.

Then once you start getting used to it, it is a bizarre feeling when you consider anything less as a short ride - LOL :-)

eg. "yeah, only did a short 75km's today - didn't have the time to knock out a 100km ride" :lol:

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Well done.

I am going to do a 70km ride in a few weeks time. Never ridden that far before, but I have been building up to it. Usually do 100 - 180km per week & can handle 40km ride into work a morning a week, no problem. Am adding another extra ride in the morning of about 55 km into work...
Am a little apprehensive, but looking forward to it.
Hopefully after doing this a few times I will add more distance.
Anyone with any advice?

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:54 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:Well done.

I am going to do a 70km ride in a few weeks time. Never ridden that far before, but I have been building up to it. Usually do 100 - 180km per week & can handle 40km ride into work a morning a week, no problem. Am adding another extra ride in the morning of about 55 km into work...
Am a little apprehensive, but looking forward to it.
Hopefully after doing this a few times I will add more distance.
Anyone with any advice?
Don't get hung up on your Cycle Computer with the distance travelled as that can affect you Just relax and keep a even cadence of 80 or more by using your gears

Thanks

Auswi2

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Congratulations auswi2. It's nice riding around the redlands area. If you get the chance, drive over to Wellington Point with your bike and do a Bay Loop.
DoogleDave wrote:Good stuff Auswi2!

It's a great feeling when you finally crack that barrier.

Then once you start getting used to it, it is a bizarre feeling when you consider anything less as a short ride - LOL :-)

eg. "yeah, only did a short 75km's today - didn't have the time to knock out a 100km ride" :lol:

Dave
Yup, this.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:38 am

Well done auswi2.

As for advice to others, if you can do half your target distance one day at a hard pace, then on the next day do the other half at a hard pace, then you should be able to do the full distance at an easy pace.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 am

DavidI wrote:Well done auswi2.

As for advice to others, if you can do half your target distance one day at a hard pace, then on the next day do the other half at a hard pace, then you should be able to do the full distance at an easy pace.
That formula might work for shorter distances.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:19 pm

JohnJoyner,
If you're currently riding 55km's then doing the 70km ride shouldn't be too difficult.
You just need to remember to pace yourself and intake enough food and fluids throughout the ride and you'll be fine.

As your body becomes used to working for hours at a time it will start to get more efficient and riding for 3 hours instead of 2 hours won't take much more out of you.
Then as you become accustomed to that you can add more distance (or try and do the same distance at a quicker pace).

It is also worth throwing in some shorter but more intense rides (into your training), to vary things and keep your body working on its fitness/strength, instead of just getting used to the same speed/distance all the time.
Often, a short but intense ride can be alot harder than a longer ride at an easy pace.

For example, I can do an 80km ride at a 25km/h ave speed and feel great afterwards, or I can smash out a 30+ km/h ave for 20km's and feel buggered.
The difference between the two is that with the longer ride I am staying aerobic for most of it so its not as taxing on my body/cardio whereas the shorter/harder ride I am pushing into anaerobic for alot of the ride and really focusing on putting the power down for as much of the distance as possible.

Both have their benefits to improving your fitness - and making your riding more interesting....and the fitter and stronger you become, the easier your body will cope with longer rides.

Dave

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:19 pm

JohnJoyner,
If you're currently riding 55km's then doing the 70km ride shouldn't be too difficult.
You just need to remember to pace yourself and intake enough food and fluids throughout the ride and you'll be fine.

As your body becomes used to working for hours at a time it will start to get more efficient and riding for 3 hours instead of 2 hours won't take much more out of you.
Then as you become accustomed to that you can add more distance (or try and do the same distance at a quicker pace).

It is also worth throwing in some shorter but more intense rides (into your training), to vary things and keep your body working on its fitness/strength, instead of just getting used to the same speed/distance all the time.
Often, a short but intense ride can be alot harder than a longer ride at an easy pace.

For example, I can do an 80km ride at a 25km/h ave speed and feel great afterwards, or I can smash out a 30+ km/h ave for 20km's and feel buggered.
The difference between the two is that with the longer ride I am staying aerobic for most of it so its not as taxing on my body/cardio whereas the shorter/harder ride I am pushing into anaerobic for alot of the ride and really focusing on putting the power down for as much of the distance as possible.

Both have their benefits to improving your fitness - and making your riding more interesting....and the fitter and stronger you become, the easier your body will cope with longer rides.

Dave

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Congrats to the OP on your achievement! Awesome stuff...now to get your third one done :wink:

I agree with Dave, feel a bit ripped off if I don't get at least one 100'er done on the weekend :roll:
Lisa

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Nice work. Those first centuries are HARD.

Just a note - at your average, you were being stalked by the Man With The Hammer after 2.5-3.0 hours... that's the time you are transitioning from carbs to fats for fuel. You will find it much much much easier if you just keep plugging away at the really long rides; I always struggled to break 80-90kms, then I started to just push through and do 110-120 etc... I can lay down a sprint or a big climb after 100 on the road. I'm not that good at them, but there is something in the tank. I won't offer any advice, just to say that your body has to learn to cope past 3 hours. There is a reason there are people here that have ridden 300kms in a day. ;)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:38 pm

Great effort !!! You're in front of me... 100Ks is on the goal agenda before the year is out.

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 am

Paul B wrote:Great effort !!! You're in front of me... 100Ks is on the goal agenda before the year is out.
You will make it

Cheers

Auswi2

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Well done!

In terms of tips for distance riding:

1. Carry and consume sufficient food and water. This directly translates to how you feel on the bike as it is the energy your body burns.
2. Ride at a comfortable speed for yourself. The further you go, the more important this is! Long rides will be slower than short rides.
3. If you are planning to do a certain distance (say 100km), make sure you do a circuit that covers the whole distance. Nothing is more mentally challenging than completing your loop and finding that you've got to ride around the block for 8km to hit your 100km target!
4. Enjoy the ride rather than stressing about it! The km will go by faster if you're enjoying the view or having a good conversation.
5. If struggling: Eat, drink and have a short break if necessary. Then, break down the remaining distance into smaller goals. Telling yourself that you've already done 75% of the distance is much more positive than telling yourself you have 25km of pain and suffering to go! :)

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Always nice to hear people hitting their goals. Well done!

you'll find it easier now the psycological barrier has been broken.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:33 pm

clackers wrote:
DavidI wrote:Well done auswi2.

That formula might work for shorter distances.
It worked for Sir Hubert Opperman.......