Does anyone else have a Lap Bad

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Leowen2

Postby Leowen2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 pm

2 years ago I weighed in at 170kgs and with the help of my Lap Band and mountain biking I've lost 60kgs and recently took part in my first ever Mountain Biking event at the Mackay Mountain Marathon where I completed the 30klm ride/push in 3 hours and 13 minutes. In 40 days I'm taking part in a charity ride called the Mackay River to Reef Charity Ride at Mackay were I'm attempting the 60klm ride so I'm currently going hard biking for 2 hours a day getting ready for the ride. My band saved my life and without it I doubt I'd be alive today and the best news of all is that my type 2 diabetes is gone and everyday is a blessing. See you on the highway, Owen

foo on patrol

Re: Does anyone else have a Lap Bad

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Good on you Owen and keep it going.8-)

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Nice work 8)

A colleague of mine Arran Pearson started off somewhere in the mid-100s and ended up representing Australia in the 24hr solo mtb world champs!

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Well done, Owen, the lap band is not getting you fit - you are!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Friend of mine had lap band surgery a few years ago. Sure, he lost lots of weight (then had surgery to remove spare skin which helped him enormously). But!! When he worked out he couldn't eat bread anymore as it didn't agree with the band, he looked for substitutes. Apparently, mud cake is a substitute!! :(

So as crackers said Owen, the lap band isn't getting you fit. Sure it's helping, but you have a great attitude to improving your life. Sure, my friend weighs less and is healthier, but still makes some very bad choices and hasn't exercises is quite some time as he only did exercise to lose weight and now that happens due to the band.

Good luck on your journey...don't be a stranger here :)

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Owen, congratulations on your success. i have a lap band too and it has made such a difference in my journey to better health. Sure, i still have to make good food and exercise choices but the band gave me that real kickstart until it has become almost second nature to eat and exercise like a healthy person. Keep up your great work.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:53 am

A good alternative to lap band surgery these days is a sleeve gastrectomy, which has a few advantages over a band. A lot of bariatric surgeons are moving towards this procedure, which reduces some of the risks of the band, such as infection, erosion, scarring and adhesions etc. the procedure usually only requires a day or 2 stay in hospital.

The main advantage is thought to be that it a sleeve gastrectomy eliminates the portion of the stomach that produces Ghrelin, the hormone that stimulates hunger and eating....

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:22 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:A good alternative to lap band surgery these days is a sleeve gastrectomy, which has a few advantages over a band. A lot of bariatric surgeons are moving towards this procedure, which reduces some of the risks of the band, such as infection, erosion, scarring and adhesions etc. the procedure usually only requires a day or 2 stay in hospital.

The main advantage is thought to be that it a sleeve gastrectomy eliminates the portion of the stomach that produces Ghrelin, the hormone that stimulates hunger and eating....
My wife has had this done and takes a lot of the Dr visits out of the equation to, which means you save money also. 8) She had it done because of very very low Thyroid performance, which meant, it didn't matter how little or much she ate, it just went to fat. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:11 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:A good alternative to lap band surgery these days is a sleeve gastrectomy, which has a few advantages over a band. A lot of bariatric surgeons are moving towards this procedure, which reduces some of the risks of the band, such as infection, erosion, scarring and adhesions etc. the procedure usually only requires a day or 2 stay in hospital.

My wife has had this done and takes a lot of the Dr visits out of the equation to, which means you save money also. 8) She had it done because of very very low Thyroid performance, which meant, it didn't matter how little or much she ate, it just went to fat. :(

Foo
I assume the hypothyroidism is treated now? Type 2 Diabetes with obesity is the other common condition Lap bands and sleeve gastrectomies are considered to help control. There are good results in T2DM patients on insulin losing weight with these procedures, and leading an insulin and oral hypoglycaemic tablet free lives. It's not without hard work though. Without behaviour modification, exercise, and lifelong lifestyle changes, non of these procedures work. So bravo to those above!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 pm

The thyroid doesn't seemed to have changed much. She was only 58kg when I first met her and stayed within 10kg or that until the two kids but then the hormones went stupid. She played 2/3 games of net ball a night for three nights of the week and still couldn't move the weight. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:55 pm

I think a guy at work may have had something similar, because last year he suddenly lost a great deal of weight. I then saw him a few times preparing to leave work on a bicycle, and about 2 weeks ago asked him how long his bicycle commute was. The answer: 25km one-way :D .

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:14 pm

VRE wrote: The answer: 25km one-way :D .
Well, yes, that's a cheaper way of doing it!