Creatine help in improving endurance

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
maninlycra

Re: Creatine help in improving endurance

Postby maninlycra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I don't feel the need for energy, the upper body seems fine.Its just the legs that leave me after about 3/4 of the ride.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Milky4130 wrote:
maninlycra wrote:Thanks Guys for all the input.

The problem I face is after about 40 Ks the ride is just a drag.
I get desperate to reach home (destination).

The enjoyment factor gets down to negative.
Believe if my legs had it, I could soldier on, that's why I'am looking towards a supplement.
sounds like your ride is lacking some structure, try implementing some intervals, before you know it, you have arrived at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Probably need to take more breaks, surely will help.
As I usually take a toilet break half way through and that helps.

But I don't see many people constantly stopping, little embarassing if I keep stopping every 20Ks

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:27 pm

40k's. Mate you shouldn't need a break.

Seriously, it's just a matter of spending more time in the saddle and building up your base. Hydrate before you leave home. Make sure you carry enough water for the ride. Go to the toilet before you set out, so you don't need to stop during you ride. 40k's to 50k's you shouldn't need any food on the ride.

How many times do you ride a week?

Do you have any medical issues you haven't told us about?

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:34 pm

briztoon wrote:40k's. Mate you shouldn't need a break.

Seriously, it's just a matter of spending more time in the saddle and building up your base. Hydrate before you leave home. Make sure you carry enough water for the ride. Go to the toilet before you set out, so you don't need to stop during you ride. 40k's to 50k's you shouldn't need any food on the ride.

How many times do you ride a week?

Do you have any medical issues you haven't told us about?

Hi, I ride to work every day - that's 30K total daily....
Weekend ride is 40K...which is not fum for the last 5-10Ks

I'am hoping to improve my endurance to be able to ENJOY 100K rides.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 pm

If you're not bonking, change between riding seated and out of the saddle to switch between working your thighs and calves. Your lower back will thank you, too.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Then forget creatine... you just need to steadily up your km's and your pace. Just sounds like your fitness is lagging. Try extending a few of your daily commutes out to 30kms one way etc.
Unless your like me... I just get bored over two hours.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Then forget creatine... you just need to steadily up your km's and your pace. Just sounds like your fitness is lagging. Try extending a few of your daily commutes out to 30kms one way etc.
Unless your like me... I just get bored over two hours.

I cannot rule that out, should admit.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:17 pm

I found something similar when I started commuting (only 25km round trip) and didn't do any other riding for about a month. First time when I headed out for a longer ride, I just felt like crap. Your body and legs become used to your commuting distance. So two afternoons a week I ride home, drop my back pack off at home, grab an extra water bottle and head straight back out for a 50k ride ~ 2 hours. I don't like riding with my back pack, so have never considered riding a scenic, longer route home.

I see plenty of other riders out who must be doing the same.

Like any sport, the more practice you put in, the easier it becomes. You've got to put your body through some pain on the journey to get to a point where you enjoy it. I quite smoking about two and half years ago and took up riding about two years ago. I'm not some athlete who's done sports their whole life. It was part of a radical change in life style. It hurt, and I wondered why people put themselves through such pain. But I kept at it. I started feeling better, feeling healthier, lost weight, put on some muscle on my skinny legs and generally feel good about myself.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:53 pm

briztoon wrote:I found something similar when I started commuting (only 25km round trip) and didn't do any other riding for about a month. First time when I headed out for a longer ride, I just felt like crap. Your body and legs become used to your commuting distance. So two afternoons a week I ride home, drop my back pack off at home, grab an extra water bottle and head straight back out for a 50k ride ~ 2 hours. I don't like riding with my back pack, so have never considered riding a scenic, longer route home.

I see plenty of other riders out who must be doing the same.

Like any sport, the more practice you put in, the easier it becomes. You've got to put your body through some pain on the journey to get to a point where you enjoy it. I quite smoking about two and half years ago and took up riding about two years ago. I'm not some athlete who's done sports their whole life. It was part of a radical change in life style. It hurt, and I wondered why people put themselves through such pain. But I kept at it. I started feeling better, feeling healthier, lost weight, put on some muscle on my skinny legs and generally feel good about myself.

That's a great post, something I can try myself :)

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 pm

maninlycra wrote:Thanks Guys for all the input.

The problem I face is after about 40 Ks the ride is just a drag.
I get desperate to reach home (destination).

The enjoyment factor gets down to negative.
Believe if my legs had it, I could soldier on, that's why I'am looking towards a supplement.

in my opinion, 40ks is a decent effort

i personally refuse to ride more than that, even if i can take it.

i was a big time Gym buff back in the days...

Dunno if you recall the product NO-XPLODE by BSN... that thing used to make you pump iron way past your capabilities.. but due to being high in caffine, your body gets rapidly used to it and literally 2nd and 3rd use... it was useless as 'Two Toothpicks'

ive often wondered how it would perform in riding.

but those things are a waste of money..

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:45 pm

maninlycra...just crank up the kms, chase an improvement in your average speed each ride...you will get there.

A year ago, I battled to do 40kms/22kph avg spd, and hadnt ridden for 20 years...now a year later its rides like the 3 Peaks and Fitz's Extreme at 255km that are the equivalent distance challenge and racing at 40kph avg. Just commit to doing the kms...and it will come.

Cheers,

Phil.

Ropecharmer

Postby Ropecharmer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm

I reckon it's important to get your head around just how much energy you're using. At 50:50 fats:carbohydrates, an average-sized bloke is burning 78g of carbohydrate AND 32g of fats per hour. That equates to 3 whole bananas AND a large chunk (100g) of cheese. Per hour.

The brain & nervous system can only burn carbs - if you run out of them you're shot.

Eat.
The bicycle is the solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Your commute is UTTERLY USELESS for longer rides. I was doing 42 a day and getting torn to pieces on the 70km weekend ride. I got shredded badly trying to push it out to 90, but your body adapts to what it needs to. You have to slow down a little bit and just push through. Don't forget that if you're doing 150km during the week, it will be very very hard to back up with 50 extra kms on the weekend. You'll need to have hard days and soft days commuting... Monday morning is hard, then soft until Wednesday morning, hard until Friday, then relax on both Friday rides, and smash out Saturday. This gives your body a chance to recover during the week... and the harder rides allow you to put some adaption. The hardness is easy to determine. You just go harder as you feel comfortable.

But stay away creatine, it's not going to help YOU, because creatine helps with maximum efforts. If you're trying to improve your climbing and sprinting, sure. But trying to go past 30kms? That's a short ride for many riders. You'll get there. But changing your adaption has to happen.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:10 am

Cossie Phil wrote:maninlycra...just crank up the kms, chase an improvement in your average speed each ride...you will get there.

A year ago, I battled to do 40kms/22kph avg spd, and hadnt ridden for 20 years...now a year later its rides like the 3 Peaks and Fitz's Extreme at 255km that are the equivalent distance challenge and racing at 40kph avg. Just commit to doing the kms...and it will come.

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks for the motivation, took Sat off, will see how we go.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:35 am

Xplora wrote:Your commute is UTTERLY USELESS for longer rides. I was doing 42 a day and getting torn to pieces on the 70km weekend ride. I got shredded badly trying to push it out to 90, but your body adapts to what it needs to. You have to slow down a little bit and just push through. Don't forget that if you're doing 150km during the week, it will be very very hard to back up with 50 extra kms on the weekend. You'll need to have hard days and soft days commuting... Monday morning is hard, then soft until Wednesday morning, hard until Friday, then relax on both Friday rides, and smash out Saturday. This gives your body a chance to recover during the week... and the harder rides allow you to put some adaption. The hardness is easy to determine. You just go harder as you feel comfortable.

But stay away creatine, it's not going to help YOU, because creatine helps with maximum efforts. If you're trying to improve your climbing and sprinting, sure. But trying to go past 30kms? That's a short ride for many riders. You'll get there. But changing your adaption has to happen.
Not how I've found
My commute to work and back home is 57km. If I can ride 2 days in a row, I can cycle 100km on the weekend. If I can ride 4 days in a road, I can cycle 200km on the road. But if I can cycle 200km and I can cycle 300, 400, 600 etc
You just need to know when to eat, stop and drinking.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:29 am

Baalzamon wrote:
Xplora wrote:Your commute is UTTERLY USELESS for longer rides. I was doing 42 a day and getting torn to pieces on the 70km weekend ride. I got shredded badly trying to push it out to 90, but your body adapts to what it needs to. You have to slow down a little bit and just push through. Don't forget that if you're doing 150km during the week, it will be very very hard to back up with 50 extra kms on the weekend. You'll need to have hard days and soft days commuting... Monday morning is hard, then soft until Wednesday morning, hard until Friday, then relax on both Friday rides, and smash out Saturday. This gives your body a chance to recover during the week... and the harder rides allow you to put some adaption. The hardness is easy to determine. You just go harder as you feel comfortable.

Not how I've found
My commute to work and back home is 57km. If I can ride 2 days in a row, I can cycle 100km on the weekend. If I can ride 4 days in a road, I can cycle 200km on the road. But if I can cycle 200km and I can cycle 300, 400, 600 etc
You just need to know when to eat, stop and drinking.

I think that's the key, need to stop more often man.There is no shame in stopping :P

kb

Postby kb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:04 am

Baalzamon wrote: You just need to know when to eat, stop and drinking.
Haha. My Sunday morning brain turned that into, "You just need to know when to eat. And stop drinking!" ;-)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:42 am

You are bonking.

This is an endurance sport. You need to stay fuelled . That means 1 to 1.3g of CHO per kg of body weight per hour. And you need to start your intake within the first 15 minutes. PM me with your your email address.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:34 am

Baa, was specifically relating to his situation. You can do it if you are adapted, and if you understand how to stop bonking LOL you can adapt to 2000 a week if you give your body time to adapt. I think mil's biggest issue is that he is probably riding Hard. 40km is incredibly hard - if you are doing a TT :lol: his TT might be my recovery ride.

Mil, if your goal is distance then slow down and stop when your heart rate says no more. 5 minutes, away you go again.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Rode this morning - 60K.
My best effort so far.

It wasn't my usual route, rode the Beach Road this time.
Funny thing is I was feeling bl**dy fit at the end if it all. I felt like I could go another 30K's if I wanted.
Obviously ran out of road and also time.

Don't understand it, could probably mean I must have paced myself well, also took 2-3 breaks.

Am I getting better at this :?:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Simple answer = The more you do the more you can do. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Glad you got results from the advice. 30 a day puts you in front of a lot of riders. Better pacing and you will be doing Beach Rd laps. Nice work.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Xplora wrote:Glad you got results from the advice. 30 a day puts you in front of a lot of riders. Better pacing and you will be doing Beach Rd laps. Nice work.

Thanks, that's just the motivation I need :lol: