Working toward 50K ride.

kb

Re: Working toward 50K ride.

Postby kb » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:34 am

Paul B wrote:just had a look at a couple of Strava entries of the Richmond bakery rides...... can't see myself tackling elevations like that for a long time. Might need a year or two of riding before I front up for that gig.
Nothing like riding up hills to get better at riding up hills :-).

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 am

Paul B wrote:just had a look at a couple of Strava entries of the Richmond bakery rides...... can't see myself tackling elevations like that for a long time. Might need a year or two of riding before I front up for that gig.
Hehe - well I've ridden over GrassTree Hill on my roadie, MTB, and my fully loaded tourer.

It's quite a steady, constant grade and would make an excellent training ride once you build up to longer distances. Don't be intimidated by it.

As for some of the other climbs, I think there are alternative routes and short cuts that shall we say the "less energetic" riders take.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:22 am

RonK wrote:
Hehe - well I've ridden over GrassTree Hill on my roadie, MTB, and my fully loaded tourer.

It's quite a steady, constant grade and would make an excellent training ride once you build up to longer distances. Don't be intimidated by it.

As for some of the other climbs, I think there are alternative routes and short cuts that shall we say the "less energetic" riders take.
Brilliant !!! short cuts :) I must admit to feeling a little deflated at first after seeing the Strava data... however, the advice offered by various posters in this thread has encouraged me to devise a strategic approach to accomplish my goal.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:04 pm

My two cents worth...you don't need a strategic approach.

You need to ride, ride and ride some more. On courses you enjoy, with people you like, having fun. Keep that RPM above 90. Try to ride a little longer each week. If you want to have a dig on hills, that is fine, but no intervals, nothing specific, just enjoy building your endurance.

When you stop seeing fitness gains from this approach THEN it may be time to get specific.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:50 pm

interesting outcome today. I set out with the intent to ease off a little but maintain my cadence at 90 and increase the distance. So given that I was just doing a very short blast, I figured that with my new approach I could double the distance to two laps of my circuit. So I did... 16 Ks. Though I made a conscious effort to take it a bit easier, Strava tells me that compared to the ride I did on Monday, I took double the time + 23 seconds. So no change but double the distance... I was happy to see that my cadence avg was the same (90). So though I failed to reduce my heart rate, I did spend more time on the saddle and covered more distance. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Paul B wrote:interesting outcome today. I set out with the intent to ease off a little but maintain my cadence at 90 and increase the distance. So given that I was just doing a very short blast, I figured that with my new approach I could double the distance to two laps of my circuit. So I did... 16 Ks. Though I made a conscious effort to take it a bit easier, Strava tells me that compared to the ride I did on Monday, I took double the time + 23 seconds. So no change but double the distance... I was happy to see that my cadence avg was the same (90). So though I failed to reduce my heart rate, I did spend more time on the saddle and covered more distance. Will be interesting to see how this develops.
You're on the way. Don't be tempted to step up the distance again too soon though...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:49 pm

RonK wrote:
Paul B wrote:interesting outcome today. I set out with the intent to ease off a little but maintain my cadence at 90 and increase the distance. So given that I was just doing a very short blast, I figured that with my new approach I could double the distance to two laps of my circuit. So I did... 16 Ks. Though I made a conscious effort to take it a bit easier, Strava tells me that compared to the ride I did on Monday, I took double the time + 23 seconds. So no change but double the distance... I was happy to see that my cadence avg was the same (90). So though I failed to reduce my heart rate, I did spend more time on the saddle and covered more distance. Will be interesting to see how this develops.
You're on the way. Don't be tempted to step up the distance again too soon though...
I agree with this. Stick to this distance for a while until your body adapts. Also, make sure to take a rest once or twice a week! Resting is an important part of training.
<removed by request>

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks guys... will do as you suggest.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 am

Mix up your one- and two-lap rides through the week. Do a single-lapper at a very easy recovery pace just to keep the legs rolling over. Another day hit it fairly hard, and on another day do a two-lap ride at an intermadiate effort.

For a bit of variety, return to your original loop sometimes. When you're ready to make the next distance increase, do one lap of each course.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Lambsy

Postby Lambsy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 am

g'day Paul B,

seems like we're both having the same mid life changes - same (ish) age, weight etc!!

I too have just started cycling after 40+ years of competitive swimming and sea kayaking - shoulders eventually died :(

I live at Carlton, just a few minutes riding away from you so if you'd like to hook up for some training rides PM me and we'll try and work something out.

At the moment I just do the loop from my place along Carlton River Road to the shops, and back along Carlton Beach Road to home - three times ~20k's with a coffee stop on the last lap :P

cheers

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 pm

So.... have continued on in the same mode... I guess you could liken it to a time trial maybe. I simply hammer from start to finish in order to improve my time... often I beat my previous best by as little as 3 seconds. All the time though, my cadence is increasing (99 over the last 3 rides) and avg speed a few tenths under 30 kph.

Today though... some random events conspired with the result that I rode 33 ks. I was with another guy who was A) slower, B) had mechanical issues. Slowed me down and took 1hr 28 mins.
The upside was the distance and time in the saddle. I had planned to increase my distance at the start of August so looks like I have just made a start. Anyhow... well and truly on track to hit my 50k ride goal :-)

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Well done Paul, keep pedalling mate.
Try to change your training on different days, and make sure you do some slower days and longer distances, so you keep your heart rate under 130bpm (talking pace). Increase your aerobic fitness instead of using your anaerobic system.
You will notice a big benefit in time. Slow down, to go fast.
Cheers,

Darrin
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Head wind hell. Gets damn windy here on the coast and the last couple of days have been a fine example. After my 33k ride on Monday I figured Tuesday off would be a good idea in order to recover. Wednesday was so blowy that I talked myself into a second day off. Today was just crazy windy with gusts around 50kph... Anyway, could not bring myself to have a third consecutive day off and out I went. Wind was just a pain... just about blew me off the bike. However, managed two laps of my circuit (15ks) and an avg cadence of 97rpm... so happy that I made the effort.
No improvement till Thursday according to the bureau... one day of respite.

Anyhow... it was probably good training and will make low wind days a breeze :mrgreen: I have an awesome little course of around 30ks I am itching to try out. Saving it for a good weather day.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks pedaling... good idea to mix it up. Did a 36 k ride today a a fairly sedate pace for half and workout pace for the other half. I could do the 50k now quite comfortably. Think I will get in a few more around 35k as it is a distance I am enjoying at the moment.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Well done Paul. Sounds like you are just around the corner from achieving your first goal of 50km's.

What is your next goal - 100km's?

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks Dave. Yea 100k will be the next goal.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Very good efforts. :) 50km/h wind is just nasty. I don't enjoy riding in those kinds of conditions when the wind is so changeable. I've had a few scary moments.

But I'll go out in those conditions if it looks like good pickings on Strava. ;) and you get a good workout at when you turn around. :shock:

munga

Postby munga » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:16 pm

mate, if you can smash yourself for 16km, you can ride 50km. your bum and your neck might get sore, but that's about it. don't forget the sunscreen, the water, and stop for a snack/light meal an hour into it.
just tell all your colleagues on the following weekday how you "didn't have much on so you went for a 50k ride on the weekend".
50km might sound enormous right now, but it isn't. it's two hours, maybe three if you stop for lunch, photos, a break.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 am

LOL if you are committed to the idea, riding 50 kms is only hard if you want to have a huge avg speed like 40kmh. It's very possible to go that fast btw.

I will recommend variety in training like others have said. You really need to establish a goal. Riding is distance, speed and cadence. Power as well, which creates your speed but leave that for now. You have a distance goal. Just do the distance now, take as long as you need. It will hurt tomorrow but that's ok. Then, try and maintain your cadence for the 50. Then try and maintain a speed for the 50. You will be developing a lot of different systems as you reach for these goals. I think the key is really to be careful about recovery as a noob. I have grown immensely as a rider over the last 2 years and I am still bad at recovery. Hammering yourself is FUN but it is extremely high risk riding if you are not taking supplements and regular massages and icebaths like professional athletes enjoy. No one can cope with 100% efforts without drugs day after day. Steroids FTW :roll:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Had a good ride today. 35 ks in 1:19 mins. avg 27 KPH. Starting to incorporate rides of this distance now and will aim for a couple a week in addition to my short sprints. My 50K ride is imminent.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

Paul B wrote:Had a good ride today. 35 ks in 1:19 mins. avg 27 KPH. Starting to incorporate rides of this distance now and will aim for a couple a week in addition to my short sprints. My 50K ride is imminent.
Why not head out on a group ride? If you can do 27kph solo you shouldn't have any trouble with the more casual group rides around Hobart, and if you head out with a group ride you'll have probably done 50km before you even realise it. Just make sure you take enough food and water with you and you should be fine.

If you're keen on doing 50km solo first, my advice is just riding 25km away from home. No chickening out then.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks 2 wheels and yes, that is exactly what I am training for. I want build up as much as possible before I go out on my first group ride, so I am getting a lot out of doing short sprint sessions and now mixing in longer rides. So my plan is to head out on a group ride at the start of summer.Gives me 3 months and another 60 rides to get up to speed :-)

Do you have any suggestions for a group that may be suitable ?

Cheers
Paul

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Paul B wrote:Thanks 2 wheels and yes, that is exactly what I am training for. I want build up as much as possible before I go out on my first group ride, so I am getting a lot out of doing short sprint sessions and now mixing in longer rides. So my plan is to head out on a group ride at the start of summer.Gives me 3 months and another 60 rides to get up to speed :-)

Do you have any suggestions for a group that may be suitable ?

Cheers
Paul
Well just going from a quick Google and Strava, while I've never ridden it, you should be fine for the Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride (as you've probably seen on the forums here). Average speed seems to be around 28 km/h for 60km according to Strava, so it's no hammerfest. If I recall, you're from around the Dodges Ferry area, so my only advice would be to try and make it into Hobart if possible and try some of the Category 3/4 climbs, so the climbs aren't too much of an issue. I ride with the Dome Coffee guys, their speed is about the same as RBWR and just a touch longer (70-75km).

At the end of the day, really these group rides are just social events with a hint of competition (mostly up the climbs or quick sprints to town signs), but the will to stay with the group and that hint of competition will probably be more than enough to keep you with the group.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks and yea, I have been considering the RBWR and would like to join up with that group for a ride at some stage. Will keep my preparation going for a while longer.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Paul,
I wouldn't worry about waiting until you think you're fit enough/ready.

For the first few rides you will likely find yourself near the back of the group, which is a good place to be.

Riding in a bunch is not just about keeping up.
You will learn the dynamic of that group, the hand/verbal signals they use, become comfortable riding at speed inches from other riders, learn to control your speed without surging (braking to slow down then pedaling hard to catch back up, to then brake to slow down again etc)....plus a whole lot more.

I'm sure if you either contact the group beforehand or turn up early one morning and let them know you're new to bunch riding but are keen to join their ride they will look after you and often a group member will buddy up with you and guide you along for your first ride or two with them.

If the group aren't forthcoming and interested in you joining them, I'd suggest finding another group that is.

Riding with a group is great fun and before long you'll be doing much more than 50km rides and will be giving the same advice to others on the forum :-)

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S