How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

VRE

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby VRE » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 pm

More arrogant cyclists on the Koonung Trail today, who clearly have a fairly high opinion of themselves, because they just considered it way too much trouble to overtake properly or give away. It must be nice to have such a healthy ego.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Short but sweet due to family commitments, got me Wanga out later on to get the numbers up.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Wind and rain
Had to get to an after work appointment on time, so hauled ass thru the weather and made it early - no strava records but. Oh well.
Bike is now dried off, but bound to be wet again tomorrow.
Looking forward that pleasant bit of the year between when it's wet and windy, and stinking hot and windy.

Cheers

Time

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:25 am

jasonc wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:
jasonc wrote:what's that damp stuff on the road and coming from the sky? been over a month since we've had rain in Brissy. Copped a bit of drizzle on the extended commute this morning. Tomorrow, I'm in the honourable reasons thread with a sick child (will still try and squeeze in a ride)
Trailgator / Tagalong - no excuses !!!

http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_she ... nctivitis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Conjunctivitis can be an infectious or allergic condition: if infectious it is often highly contagious
So I passed jasonc this morning on his way home from his ride. No child in tow. Now I'm no doctor but I would have thought that a few fast decents down Mt Coottha would have dried those eyes in no time. :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:42 am

Rhubarb wrote:So I passed jasonc this morning on his way home from his ride. No child in tow. Now I'm no doctor but I would have thought that a few fast descents down Mt Coottha would have dried those eyes in no time. :P
Wife and daughter were both asleep at 5 so I left them be. :mrgreen:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 am

Rode back via Epping again yesterday afternoon. Traffic along Cooper St gets a bit hairy at times..
Decent ride into the CBD this morning, looks like another brilliant spring day in Melbourne.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:55 am

Due to a family commitment yesterday, I did a door to door commute. Luckily for me the wind was behind me most of the way and the sun was shining.

This morning had me feeling stuffed right royally....legs like cement. Despite this I gave it a little extra and made up some lost ground from yesterday arvo's ride....my riding OCD forced me to do a 60 k commute ride :). It is a bad sign really...the morning commutes this week have been 58, 59 and now 60 k's..growing by a k a morning. With the sun coming up sooner, the weather being just a touch warmer in the morning...I am looking at gently increasing my rides....why?? I havent figured that out yet.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:58 am

gretaboy wrote:I am looking at gently increasing my rides....why?? I havent figured that out yet.
because you want to my sure TW and I have less chances than zero of catching you this year.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:I am looking at gently increasing my rides....why?? I havent figured that out yet.
because you want to my sure TW and I have less chances than zero of catching you this year.
hahahaha...mate even if I went to two days of riding and only doing "door to door" rides, neither of you would catch me...even with me potentially having 2-3 weeks off soon :)

I guess I have some motivations:

1. See how big a gap I can put on you blokes ( my upcoming time off will hurt me here)
2. See how many K's I can ride in a year ( again...my upcoming time off will hurt me here)
3. Lose a bit more weight
4. See how many k's I can do in a day just commuting...via extended commute path...aim might be at this stage 150 for a day

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 am

I missed the rain this morning. It was very heavy before dawn, and the roads were wet. There are a lot of slightly raised painted yellow and white lines on the roads here, and the rain makes them quite slippery. And looking out my window, I just missed the rain again by 10 minutes. Other than that another relatively uneventful commute.

I'm planning my first Century (Metric) ride this weekend. I've been building up to the distance over the last month. 100km doesn't leave much of the Island untouched, and with an extra 20 to 30 km I could probably do a complete loop...but that is an extra hour or so in the saddle and it will be very hot by then. SWIMBO won't be happy...after last weekend's 90km ride she huffed "you know I only tolerate your riding because it keeps you trim."

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:08 am

Dropbear20 wrote: she huffed "you know I only tolerate your riding because it keeps you trim."
response: "you look wonderful too mrs dropbear"

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:26 am

Lovely morning. Lots of people out on bicycles and the office building's racks (all 20 of them for a >20 floor building. Less than one per floor. Yay... Not :roll: ) are filling up.

Treadlier

Postby Treadlier » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Enjoyed a very rare tailwind on my short commute from the West into the CBD in Perth thismorning. Left just after the rain after copping an absolute soaking into the prevailing Westerly on the way home yesterday.

Anyway I was rolling along the Swan River on the PSP near the boatshed (any Perthie will know where this is) with a jogger up ahead travelling in the same direction as me. Guy looks fairly "pro" in that he has jogging attire/running shoes/looks fit etc etc. Anyway without warning (or any head checking) he abruptly changes his line as if to veer right off the PSP and explore/recover on the said boatshed's jetty which connects it to the bank along which the shared path runs. This, of course, happens at the same moment I'm looking to pull out and coast past him. A few hollars of warning later and some judicious use of the front brake and I'm "undertaking" on the left as he moves to my right. At this point I can see that he is "plugged up" so not even aware if he knew I was there or of how close he'd just come to being cleaned up by 11kgs of steel add rider at fair clip (I can attest to having wiped off some speed on approach but was still moving).

It made me consider the oft-debated bell-use policy in situations such as pedestrian approach from behind.

Personally I have always favoured NOT signalling my approach from behind for a few reasons:

1. Recreational peds tend to react by looking around/becoming erratic in their line leading to (in my view) confusion and more danger (eg, "helpfully" moving right to let you "pass" on the left).
2. Typically recreational AND pro peds seem to (usually) be plugged up listening to music (in many cases, such as the more energetic joggers, this can be fairly loud "pump up" music). This can render any warning useless anyway.
3. Pro peds are (usually) pretty good with their head checks if they look like experienced runners etc. These guys and gals are the peeps who are most likely to understand what a bell ring means (if they can hear it).

I am, in fact, more likely to signal my approach from the FRONT if it is clear that the peds ahead haven't seen me (eg, eye contact) or are focused on the dog/taking that photo/watching their kids etc etc.

Anyway I decided that despite the close shave thismorning that this one simply came down to an experienced (but perhaps not) ped who should have known better, on a busy morning commute route failing to head check before veering right without warning. I'm happy to continue my prevailing practise of NOT signalling by bell when approaching from behind - just adds too many variables into the mix.

I should also say that I, too, jog around this area and on this very path and there aint' no way I'm changing my line without a head check!

Anyway, cautionary tale over, happy commuting!

Treadlier
:D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
Dropbear20 wrote: she huffed "you know I only tolerate your riding because it keeps you trim."
You're a very forgiving bloke Jason.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jasonc wrote:
You're a very forgiving bloke Jason.

As I keep stating, Mrs Jason C is an accountant. it's either forgiveness or zero funds (the funds string has been quite generous).

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:55 am

This demonstrates clearly that no matter how assertive your road position, some idiots just can't wait:

This was at 5:10am on Maroondah Hwy, just east of Springvale Rd and heading west, with minimal traffic. My headlight beam clearly indicates my lane position, but it didn't stop this moron from buzzing me at high speed.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 am

Best commuting week in ages. The wind has gone and the weather is crisp in the morning and warm in the arvos. Feeling strong and much happier to be back on my bike after a break due to the winds. :D

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:21 am

Windy afternoon for me yesterday, into a headwind all the way up to Epping, then a cross-wind back home.
Warm start this morning, 20C at Alphington around 5am.
One more commute via Epping this afternoon, working from home tomorrow, so no rides other than perhaps to the shops on the cargo bike.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 am

A light warm spring rain on the way in for a little bit of the ride to work this morning was a reminder that summer is coming. Something was holding up the cars in Albert St so they were banked back more than usual. I should count how many cars I passed today in the video footage. :P

One car I believe came a bit too close behind me as I was claiming the left lane in Albert St approaching a red light (left lane was clear and he seemed impatient to change lanes from the right lane into where I was and was half across the lane lines). I saw him quickly in my rear view, shook my head and moved into the left-turning lane/start of the bike lane at the red light and got away from him and any problems he might cause. I really need to get my act into gear and put the rear-facing camera on.

Also had another car in a small laneway at the end of my trip (it is a one-way lane for part of it) not move across as he's going the wrong way down the laneway (I'm going the correct way up it). He didn't leave me that much room (enough to keep pedalling, but no room if I wobbled). He had about 40 cms more on his left (my right) to move over more. *sigh*

At least claiming the lane seems to stop most of them, VRE. Some will just keep pushing and in those situations I am hoping I've left enough room on my left to get out of the danger zone.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Treadlier wrote:It made me consider the oft-debated bell-use policy in situations such as pedestrian approach from behind.

Anyway, cautionary tale over, happy commuting!

Treadlier
:D
Sounds like sometimes bad luck can't win whatever scenario. I considered the issue early on a few years ago, and pro's and con's for both seemed to have merit.
I opted for the bell at 30 metres and any other scenario required to politely alert my presence as it's the legal way, I keep the brakes closely covered, touch wood I've made it 3 years without any incident inducing erratic behaviour, loud speakers music seemed to induce dog attack a few times though =P
I do get plenty of gratitude waves from peds and cyclists for what I notice as being the exception to the norm of people who don't use bells, or calls, or any indication of passing peds or cyclists in close proximity. If I am being drafted (always strangers) the bell is an early tell for any others I'm telling someone ahead I'm about to pass before head checking for drafters/passers.

The only incident I've had from not using my bell was emergency braking and being hit from behind by two riders drafting me head approaching an intersection when I was covering my brakes and stopped quickly after a known blind wall prior to intersection where a Ford Territory wanted the space first. I remained upright and feet down while they fell clipped in, tweaked my derailleur, everyone intact though. Not always a fan of drafters but ring the bell well in advance and keep consistent head check process so they can quickly pick it up... hopefully ;)

Commute has been good as usual, the earlier light has been a welcome change, certainly buoys spirits for Spring.

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Bad commute in, with shared path totally blocked in Bicentennial Reserve with no appropriate safety measures taken. Was difficult to get past on the side with cleats. Thoughtless on the part of Willougby Council :x

Went for a nice ride at lunch which made me feel much better.

Tonight's commute home I was on the footpath rolling slowly the short distance between my office and the lip at the next intersection to get onto the bike lane shoulder of the road. The footpath is wide enough to hold 3 people walking side to side, but these two ladies were walking in such a way I couldn't pass. So as I wasn't meant to be there, I just rolled along slowly as I was happy to do so. We get to the lip, they were going to cross then one of them realised I was there, and they were thinking of stopping! They then commented to themselves "but there's a bike lane there". Geez, I've got to get there first! Sorry goes to them, but I left work after the peak hour rush, and I was happy to wait for them to do whatever they wanted! I didn't ring my bell, and I was many bike lengths away from them - until they thought about stopping!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 pm

saw rhubarb on the commute home. I stopped to help a damsel in distress with a flat tyre while he buggered off.

had a coversation with the owners of 3 dogs on the path next to brisbane boys/girls colleges. 2 were on leashes, 1 was not. unleashed dog was approaching me so i stopped. i asked the poeple "whose dog is it" response "ours" me - "PLEASE put a leash on it"

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Have to give ways to cars yesterday and today! It's not worth risking my bike, lol!

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm

B double parked on the side of the service road at Rocklea this morning. Can see it from about 500m away, so the clown tries to door me in the face the exact moment I am passing him, and a car overtaking me in the process. He then gives me attitude when I OI!'ed him. One day this 100kg bouncer is going to give a freebie off the clock.........

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm

jasonc wrote:saw rhubarb on the commute home. I stopped to help a damsel in distress with a flat tyre while he buggered off.
Ha ha. Well I was going to give you a wrap for that but you can forget that now. :-P
Im pleased you did stop though - its always a good thing to do. These days I only carry spare tubes for my 20" tyres so rarely of any use to others. Maybe one day I'll pass someone with a flat on a folder...