thomashouseman

Cop knocks woman off bike...

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:46 pm

human909

Re: Cop knocks woman off bike...

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:14 pm

thomashouseman wrote:http://gothamist.com/2013/08/20/cop_all ... om_bic.php

Glad I don't live in NYC!
NYC is more bike friendly than most Australian cities!

But yeah the attitude of cops in the US is alot worse than those in Australia.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Give it time, give it time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, I don't see that there is anything she can do about it. You probably have to expect it in fact.

It has happened here as well - Police have crash-tackled cyclists before in Sydney during those "make Harold happy" sting operations.

She could try the legal option, but I suspect that the fact she argued with the Police officer and wasn't shot dead or beaten to a pulp, she might consider herself lucky. :(

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:11 pm

The exact same thing happened to my work colleague when he got pulled over by police and ticketed on his motorised mountain bike.

He rode past two police booking a young 20 something year old for not wearing a helmet. The younger of the two police officers yelled at him to stop and simultaneously reached out and grabbed his left handle bar and yanked him to a stop. My work colleague has done mixed martial arts for several years and has very fast and instinctive reflexes, and he said that it was these reflexes that saved him from falling off his bike and on to the road.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 am

My uncle was once doored by a policeman who opened his door without looking over the bike lane (in the USA). I think it caused damage to the bike and to my uncle.

The officer told my uncle that if he tried to press charges on him for the dooring and the damage then he'd fine him for non-existent offences. The officer's colleague in the police car said he'd back his partner up in whatever he said. Needless to say, my uncle has a 'lessened' respect for police officers. :roll:

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Despite what some may think of our law enforcement here, we are certainly have some of the least corrupt police in the world. Scandinavia, UK, Germany, Holland are about the only places that are as good.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:03 pm

human909 wrote:But yeah the attitude of cops in the US is alot worse than those in Australia.
Mulger bill wrote:Give it time, give it time.
+1
Just look at our elections, FFS ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Summernight wrote:My uncle was once doored by a policeman who opened his door without looking over the bike lane (in the USA). I think it caused damage to the bike and to my uncle.

The officer told my uncle that if he tried to press charges on him for the dooring and the damage then he'd fine him for non-existent offences. The officer's colleague in the police car said he'd back his partner up in whatever he said. Needless to say, my uncle has a 'lessened' respect for police officers. :roll:
i've said it before, but this is where a helmet cam comes in handy...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm

jules21 wrote:i've said it before, but this is where a helmet cam comes in handy...
Exactly. This was years and years ago now though, so the technology wasn't where it is now with the small car remote sized video cameras. It would have been interesting to see someone riding around with a VHS camcorder on their head. :P