My Ricardo Bushbike frshen up

Steve F

Re: My Ricardo Bushbike frshen up

Postby Steve F » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:48 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Wow, you're a natural with Illustrator, Steve!
They're not perfect and these ones are just done in photoshop as the image I had was pretty good, just needed to changed the text to match what it should say :)

The only problem is the white cut edge stands out a bit on the red but I can live with that since this is no factory perfect restoration :) I think I may be able to touch that edge up manually before I shoot a little clear over them anyway.

And a clear paper logo on the forks.

Cheers
Steve

RicardoBushbike

Postby RicardoBushbike » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Those decals look fantastic, Steve. I'd be definitely interested in buying a set from you. I've just sent you a PM - my PC's finally fixed (ended up doing it myself - bloody idiots), and I have the full set of Ricardo decal photos, and measurements. Looks like you've got it all sorted! The bike looks fantastic with new paint. I've actually got 2 orange Bush Bikes, and I haven't needed to repaint - the original paint still looks great.

One thing I really would recommend with the bike - you add some extra gears. You might not need to upgrade the derailleur, but you just change over the back wheel with one that takes cassette cogs - probably the most you can upgrade to is 24 speed. The old SIS selector won't handle anything more than 18 speed, so you just convert over to old-style friction gear selection (you just pull the side lever on the original SIS gear selector). I've upgraded my bike from 18 speed to 24 speed, and just had to pull the frame out a bit for the extra cogs to fit. It makes the bike into a much better ride, and way faster than stock. Not as fast as my Giant CRX as a commuter though, and it's still a pig uphill, but it's now a much more usable bike. I kind of like the combination of old and new components too.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:13 am

really looking forward to the finished product!!

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Finally got back on to this, decided not to restore it but too just upgrade a little and ride it, or rather give it to my wife to ride. Went with a set of ukai um-20 rims and a 7 speed cassette to take it to a 21. Also ordered some new brake/snift levers and front and rear derailleurs, the rest is just getting cleaned up and going back on. Should be done in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Steve

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 pm

Before you fit the brakes, take the powder coat off the studs with some emery paper, they'll go on a lot better.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:41 am

ldrcycles wrote:Before you fit the brakes, take the powder coat off the studs with some emery paper, they'll go on a lot better.
Yep, meant to mask the studs off before I got it done but forgot :(

Cheers
Steve

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:06 pm

Been there, done that. About a dozen times so far :oops: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:32 pm

My local powder coater does all of that for me.

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Almost done, shifting through the rear gears nicely, just need to do the front and mount the calipers etc. I decided to weigh it as it is since weight wise it's almost done. Came in at 12.4kg, pretty happy with that for what it is :) Currently setup for my wife to ride.

Cheers
Steve

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:15 am

Steve F wrote: Came in at 12.4kg, pretty happy with that for what it is :) Currently setup for my wife to ride.

I noticed it does not have brakes, is that what you mean by set up for my wife to ride....just joking.
Nice build. I did see somewhere on line that you can buy decals which look the same as what you made. I wish I could make decals, I am finding it impossible to get some decals for a Dodsun bike I am doing. Great job on your decals by the way.

Cheers Geoff