Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

Scarfy96

Re: Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Coolabah wrote: Personally I would only wear something with a name of any sort blazed all over it if it fullfilled any one of the following criteria :
1) I was being paid to wear it
2) I would get ( word = certain favours from certain nubile...) due to wearing it
3) it was really cheap or free
4) The Wiggles all signed it
5) I lost all my other stuff just 30 minutes ago in a house fire
Surely 6) would be "I am a member of the club that the kit is of"
and this is personal and I know everyone is different but for me:
7) I support that team

To me wearing a team kit is no different than walking down the street with a football (of any code) jersey on, just shows you support that team. Of course the same rule applies as football jerseys : "the older the team kit the more cred you have".

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Coolabah wrote: Personally I would only wear something with a name of any sort blazed all over it if it fullfilled any one of the following criteria :
1) I was being paid to wear it
2) I would get ( word = certain favours from certain nubile...) due to wearing it
3) it was really cheap or free
4) The Wiggles all signed it
5) I lost all my other stuff just 30 minutes ago in a house fire
Surely 6) would be "I am a member of the club that the kit is of"
and this is personal and I know everyone is different but for me:
7) I support that team

To me wearing a team kit is no different than walking down the street with a football (of any code) jersey on, just shows you support that team. Of course the same rule applies as football jerseys : "the older the team kit the more cred you have".

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:30 pm

If the ride is run by a cycling club or group...
I can't see it would matter.

If it was a "shop" ride hosted by an LBS then I would consider it very poor form. I mean its common sense that it would be rude, surely?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:55 pm

g-boaf wrote:I've seen it on Saturday mornings on M7. Aero speedsuit, aero helmet etc.

If people are wearing those, they'd better be quick. ;)

So, when do you start racing Xplora?
October if I can get a license and insurance sorted. I have AWFUL luck with bike crashes, and I'm told it is inevitable :((((((

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:To me wearing a team kit is no different than walking down the street with a football (of any code) jersey on, just shows you support that team. Of course the same rule applies as football jerseys : "the older the team kit the more cred you have".
Yup, this was the most devastating thing about my accident, the ambos had to cut my HTC kit off me. I lost my oldest, most street cred worthy kit. :cry: I have a spare HTC jersey, but it's not the same with out the bib nicks. :|

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Xplora wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I've seen it on Saturday mornings on M7. Aero speedsuit, aero helmet etc.

If people are wearing those, they'd better be quick. ;)

So, when do you start racing Xplora?
October if I can get a license and insurance sorted. I have AWFUL luck with bike crashes, and I'm told it is inevitable :((((((
Big touch wood! ... have never crashed in a road race, seen a hell of a lot but definitely isn't inevitable. Been close a few times ... Both races on the weekend had plenty of contact in the sprints :D .

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Big touch wood! ... have never crashed in a road race, seen a hell of a lot but definitely isn't inevitable. Been close a few times ... Both races on the weekend had plenty of contact in the sprints :D .
If you made contact with me in a sprint I'd be launched like a nerf ball :lol: Bike handling ain't my strong suit either :shock: I need a "do not overtake turning vehicle" sign :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Xplora wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Big touch wood! ... have never crashed in a road race, seen a hell of a lot but definitely isn't inevitable. Been close a few times ... Both races on the weekend had plenty of contact in the sprints :D .
If you made contact with me in a sprint I'd be launched like a nerf ball :lol: Bike handling ain't my strong suit either :shock: I need a "do not overtake turning vehicle" sign :mrgreen:
The worry of crashes would deter me from racing. I'm also a bit wary of riding quite close to others in big groups for that reason.

They'd have to give me L signs. :oops: :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Xplora wrote:
The worry of crashes would deter me from racing. I'm also a bit wary of riding quite close to others in big groups for that reason.

They'd have to give me L signs. :oops: :lol:
Or you could power to the front and form a breakaway :twisted: :twisted:

:lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Don't let it put you off racing... you wouldn't be the only person not to contest a sprint. If your not a sprinter, because you don't have the sprint power or get nervous in tight situations then there are plenty of other chances to win :D ... make sure you wear the right kit though :mrgreen: .
If you turned up to a race wearing wiggle gear where I live you wouldn't be aloud to start... for that matter any pro team gear, even knicks and they could stop you starting. You must follow the rules!.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 am

Bunch riding is the joy of cycling. Can't let crashing stop you racing, or even riding. It's how you find your limits sometimes. I don't corner fast for a reason. But I am faster than some heheh I think Luke is right. Form a break if you don't like close quarters. A lot to be said for doing your time at the back as well. On the front is great but you need to be able to get to the back safely.

I won't criticise aero gear on the bunch ride, a couple nice guys have booties on but it's partly for warmth. At least it better be. If you skinsuited I hope you want to be on the front all day lol