Postby LugNut » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:24 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
PawPaw wrote:
Drools ...... The mythical Apollo VI
Retrieved this from the archives.

samrobertprovost

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby samrobertprovost » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Hey guys thanks heaps for the info. I have been perusing the threads and I found a guy who says his is a 1985 V that looks identical to my frame (lug work, seat stays, dropouts etc.)

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=34914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is the verdict? Also, when I can actually be sure which model it is (don't want to advertise a IV as a V) do you think I should try to find the appropriate decals for it, or if it originally came with a painted model number would it be worth getting someone to repaint?

samrobertprovost

Postby samrobertprovost » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:32 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I thought the pearl white ones were the elusive VI? They were fitted out with Suntour Superbe.

Ill see if I can find some piccies of the bike and frame. From memory it had full Shimano 600 6200 series parts. The post was an SR laprade. Nitto stem and bars.
Do you know which Nitto stem it came with? And what seat post?

singlespeedscott

Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 pm

samrobertprovost wrote: Do you know which Nitto stem it came with? And what seat post?
Here's the picture from the link

Mine was identical except it had a number plate holder and of course the wheels. I think they were 36 hole box section Araya clinchers laced to 6207 hubs with a screw on 6208 freewheel. Not forgetting the rack the guy had I bought it off had bolted on there :laugh:

The stem was a Nitto dynamic 25.4 mm and the post was a 26.8 mm SR laprade. Saddle was a black suede Kashimax aero of some sort.

samrobertprovost

Postby samrobertprovost » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks dude. Did you ever end up finding decals for your bike?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:03 am

No. But from what I have read/seen from this thread and on the web they are pretty much identical to the ones on my Apollo Himalaya. Which is also painted the same colour.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Well if anyone can recommend a signwritter Im all ears...
I cant rely on the person I have used....dont ask.
With those grey apollos, did they actually have the words "Apollo V" on the in smallish lettering on the top tube ?
The pic of the white one is still a mystery, its not a nemerical model IMHO nor is it a VI....
The aero V makes all our apollos look pretty average :roll:
One day a photo will emerge ! It had an oval shape frame and tubes, the brake cables fed thru the top tube, the brake levers where aero levers , the seat post was oval shaped ...in 1984 nothing came close.
When in doubt......mumble.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:55 am

I'll start by saying I have no affiliation with this bike. Other than being extremely grumpy that it's too small for me :evil:. Ones like these don't show up often so I was pretty gutted when I measured it up.

Yes it's a rubbish phone pic. However here's the story. It's a 56cm square IV in extremely good condition. Decals pretty much perfect including the 'by Kuwahara' signature decal on the left hand chain stay. The paint has chips and a bit of patina but is basically excellent. Chrome on the bottom of the fork has some very minor discolouration spots but no geniune rust patches. It's running a full 600 Arabesque gruppo which is in great condition, and has Nitto bars. Didn't check the serial number, but given the above the bottom bracket cable routing and running gear I'd reckon around a '80/'81 model.

Now this bike is currently residing in a second hand furniture shop of all places. They are asking $250 for it which includes a spare wheel and several new 27 1/4 tyres (bundle on the left of the bike). I'm sure that it could be bargained down a bit though. Anyway, if there are any Apollophiles out there are interested I'm happy to facilitate to get it to someone who'll appreciate this beauty rather than someone who'll give it hell. It's only 5 minutes up the road from my house so I can easy get some better pics etc. The only catch is it is in Tassie, which adds a fair bit in shipping for most of y'all

Stick a saddle you like on it, and fix the bar tape and this is literally ride away without anything resto to do on it other than a bit of a elbow grease to make it gleam. Still wishing it were my size (sigh!).
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:09 pm

About 500km's and still going, happy with my Thrasher

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:40 pm

albertgaleano wrote:About 500km's and still going, happy with my Thrasher
That thing would survive a nuclear holocaust.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:14 pm

yep Cheers for the frame Dan, happy with the bike as my thrasher, even taken on some commuting duties :D

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Apollophiles,
Seeking your input - what is this?

Triple crankset and long cage derailleur, nice quality parts - III? IV?
Anyway I guess it doesn't matter, I think it will be going to a friend regardless, built with centre-pull brakes, fenders and north road style bars. Pics when completed.

The add claims
* JAPANESE CRO-MO Frame
* Sugino alloy light cranks
* Shimano equipment

Also mentions that it was Kuwahara built.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Probably a III with the triple crank and the long cage derailleur. They were aimed at the light touring market and were geared with that in mind.

On another aside, what's up with this stem?

De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Cool, thanks. Fingers crossed for a MKIII.
I've seen a few of those stems on early 90s MTBs - they came with a recessed cap that filled that gaping hole that usually held the stem bolt - here's one

That bike probably has no bolt :? I vote pull it off and replace it with a Nitto, tig welded stems are ug-ly

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:49 pm

I dont think its a numbered apollo...more like a 85-86 jaguar / concorde..
I suspect the tripple chainwheel may not be original. Check the date on the underside of the bottom bracket..
Looks neat enough.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Hmmmmm I don't think it's a low end junker, Kuwahara built Cro moly, alloy hubs/rims/bar/stem and seatpost, a nice shape to the bars...and the triple looks period correct plus the long cage derailleur to match. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm totally getting my hopes up that it's something a bit nice. 8)

apollonoob

Postby apollonoob » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 am

Hi,

I've been enjoying this thread for the last week or so, as I recently bought an old Apollo and have been doing some research into its origins. Also getting some great ideas on how to fix her up. There are some amazing restoration jobs on here.

Here are some pics.

The serial number is MCF2973 which doesn't seem to follow the Kuwahara numbering, so I haven't been able to pinpoint a year, or even a model at this stage. But everything on the bike is pretty much clamp on, so I'm guessing late 70s early 80s? I'm completely new to this, so there's a lot to learn!

The bike has Suntour VX gears, Dia-Compe brakes and KKT pedals.

It's taken me to work and back along the Brisbane river a few times and rides quite well, but I'm really looking forward to getting it back into top condition.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the info on here. I'll post more pics as I go along :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:28 am

apollonoob wrote:Hi,

I've been enjoying this thread for the last week or so, as I recently bought an old Apollo and have been doing some research into its origins. Also getting some great ideas on how to fix her up. There are some amazing restoration jobs on here.

Here are some pics.

The serial number is MCF2973 which doesn't seem to follow the Kuwahara numbering, so I haven't been able to pinpoint a year, or even a model at this stage. But everything on the bike is pretty much clamp on, so I'm guessing late 70s early 80s? I'm completely new to this, so there's a lot to learn!

The bike has Suntour VX gears, Dia-Compe brakes and KKT pedals.

It's taken me to work and back along the Brisbane river a few times and rides quite well, but I'm really looking forward to getting it back into top condition.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the info on here. I'll post more pics as I go along :)
Nice. I particularly like the Sugino Mighty Tour cranks. A rare model to find.

I am not sure what model it is, but its a good size and if you ever want to offload it PM me. 8)

apollonoob

Postby apollonoob » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Haha thanks for the offer sss, but for the moment I am having way too much fun with it!

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Im guessing late 84-85...that shade of blue and the decal are the giveaway signs.
The white "may" have been done after. Around 1985 apollo went thru a crazy naming change, going from the roman numerals, to names like jaguar and concorde to no model names at all.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Noice. Those Suntour power ratchet shifters are great to use, I have a set on my Dawes.

An update on the nice Apollo that I nearly bought a few posts above, seller rocked up with a completely different, far inferior bicycle, turns out he just got the ad picture off of google. Made it out like I had wasted his time and should have known, very unapologetic. Pencilled it down as another bad Gumtree experience and went home... :roll:

Just googled Apollo and sure enough...
http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_1206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

munga

Postby munga » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:18 am

LugNut wrote:Noice. Those Suntour power ratchet shifters are great to use, I have a set on my Dawes.

An update on the nice Apollo that I nearly bought a few posts above, seller rocked up with a completely different, far inferior bicycle, turns out he just got the ad picture off of google. Made it out like I had wasted his time and should have known, very unapologetic. Pencilled it down as another bad Gumtree experience and went home... :roll:

Just googled Apollo and sure enough...
http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_1206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
turds - they're everywhere!

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:36 pm

The local shops at New Farm, poor old Apollo looks like it's been stripped by the vultures :cry:

Photo Bomb!!!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:18 pm

I've got myself some low-spec, hi-tens goodness today. $20. Gave it a clean up and rebuilt the front wheel hub. The bike shows zero evidence of ANY use, and has been safely tucked into a reasonably clean corner of someone's garage for a couple of decades.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:42 am

lobstermash wrote:I've got myself some low-spec, hi-tens goodness today. $20.
Score! 8)

That bike would make a good "park-it-anywhere" commuter.