A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 2!

ldrcycles

Re: We now resume regular programming

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 am

Phew what a week! As amazing as the Noosa Strade Bianche was, i'm glad it's over for another year so I can get some sleep :) .

But we need to update things properly, Wednesday after work I headed from Coolum to Valdora to reclaim a KOM. I got to the road, stood up and tried to tear the cranks out of the frame. After a very short time I was completely maxed out, but I only had to get around 'that' corner. Until I got to that corner and saw the road kept going. Hell, it must be the next corner.

Nope :shock: . I eventually reached the top absolutely shattered, I may have done a better time if I had been more consistent but job done in any case :) .

Thursday I got up early to join the Noosa bunch, and was a few minutes late to join the early group who ride from Tewantin to Boreen Point via Black Mountain and Pomona, so made my way back to the middle of Noosaville to join the late bunch that goes straight through Cootharaba. It was my first time taking the short run and I really enjoyed still having fresh legs when I reached Boreen Point. But the point of the Thursday bunch is not the ride out to Boreen Point, but the lunacy of the ride back to Tewantin. On that morning it wasn't as crazy as some, but still an average of 41.6kmh for 17km :) .

So then it was time for the legs to rest before the big weekend...
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Re: 2013 Noosa Strade Bianche!

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:04 pm

After the fantastic show on Saturday and a late night trueing the wheels for the 1978 Viscount Sebring my brother was using, it was time for the Noosa Strade Bianche ride. I had set my alarm for 5am intending to be at the start by 6 to have LOTS of time to get ready for the 7am start, but instead woke up at 6:35 :shock: .

Luckily the pre ride briefing took a while so we were able to get the bikes assembled and prepped just in time. With a huge bunch of 67 :!: riders it was a fantastic feeling rolling through Tewantin. I was keen to get plenty of photos so spent the first 10k sprinting ahead of the bunch, stopping to take photos, then hopping back on for some more sprinting.

I could go on and on all day about the gorgeous scenery, the great company, and the challenging roads, but my computer freezes when these posts get too long :lol: .

Suffice to say the run to Cooran was great, and at Cooran I was finally able to have my first food and water for the day :shock: , not having had time earlier to eat breakfast or refill my water bottle. So effectively breakfast was a Coke and packet of jam drops :lol: .

The next section through to Kin Kin was just as much fun, with the legs still feeling really good. In good time we reached the much feared Shadbolt Rd climb, and I took off to see if I could get the KOM, my legs and bike were working perfectly and I simply floated up the lower sections. The work started to tell by the top but I managed to take nearly 2 MINUTES off my pb!

Out the other side of Cedar Pocket a bloke called Ash on a beautiful Tommasini hd stopped on the side of the road with a flat tubular and no more spares. With my family's farm less than 10km down the road I suggested I could ride there and pick up a replacement front wheel, so set off on a solo TT. I felt great and set a cracking pace, got to the farm and threw the wheel in the ute to drive back up the road to meet him (though by the time I reached him he had already descended the scary Gentle Annie on his flat front tyre :shock: .

After stopping at the Kin Kin pub for some proper food (in my case, a bacon and egg pie that my wife had baked that morning and brought out there!) we set off for Noosa and all that effort finally showed. My brother and I were forced to take a very steady pace and when we reached Cooroy we had no hesitation in skipping the final dirt sector in favour of taking the sealed and flat main road.

All in all, an incredible day.

ldrcycles

Re: Pushing it!

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:11 pm

The first Law of Strava is, if it's not on strava it didn't happen.

The 2nd Law is, if you lose a KOM, you do WHATEVER it takes to get it back!

And so it was this evening, that having lost a KOM just a few k up the road from my current abode, I hopped on the Malvern Star and rolled out to take back what was rightfully mine! After a bit of warming up (including averaging 50kmh for the flat run through the middle of Coolum :twisted: ) I went full tilt at Low's Lookout.

My rear tyre is overdue for replacement so I had dropped the pressure from the usual 105psi to 90 to try and get some more grip but it wasn't enough, on the lower slopes my violent mashing on the pedals saw a fair bit of wheelspin happening. Further up where the grade kicks up well above 20% and there is no more momentum the wheelspin wasn't an issue, it was just a matter of trying as hard as possible to keep the legs turning over. By the time the road started to level off about 40-50 metres from the top I was dizzy and seeing stars but just closed my eyes and kept pushing.

The result is what matters though, and I got the KOM back by a pretty solid margin :D . I tried to have a crack at another segment on the way back but I hadn't had enough time to recover from the lookout effort and faded well before the finish line.

The plan for the rest of the week is a reasonably gentle commute tomorrow, bunch ride on Thursday and then just some gentle casual riding before going all out on my first alleycat on Saturday in maroochydore :D http://sunshinecoastfixedgear.com/2013/ ... -alleycat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Re: Dicey moments!

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 pm

I had a few too many domestic duties to take care of this morning to commute on the bike, so instead settled for 46k from Coolum to Yandina and back via Bli Bli. Less than 2k from home I had a pretty significant death wobble heading into a downhill corner at about 60kmh, thanks to a combination of gusty sidewind, dodgy road surface and a slightly notchy headset. I was intending for it to be a relaxed pace but with a favourable wind and eager legs I had a good crack at a segment along the way and managed a 40.8kmh average for 5.6 flat kms. There was a solid headwind all the way back up the coast, so when I got back to Coolum I quickly transferred the pedals and lights onto the Oppy, fitted the tribars and headed off to have a shot at a southbound segment just around the corner.

The first 200 metres felt great, but then I had another brown trouser moment heading through the first corner as the front end got a bit light at better than 65kmh :shock: . I held on alright though and got back on the power through the next corner to rip along the flat past the Palmer resort. I started to fade by the end (though helped along a little by the adrenaline from a bogan screaming out their window as they passed) and got an average of 54.8kmh, up from my pb of 47.2kmh. Only 8 seconds off the KOM, though I think any extra time will have to be found on the flat, I don't like the thought of taking that corner any faster! :twisted:

ldrcycles

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 2!

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:22 pm

The process of going through life for a normal person involves making a mistake and then learning from it. For me, it involves just making mistakes over and over and over....

So it was that on Friday night I stared at the corner of the spare room that should have been full of my Dawes Shadow and instead just had a pile of spare tyres and gear cable trimmings. So the alarm was set for 4 the next morning so I could drive up to Kin Kin to get said Dawes before going to work. Once at work naturally I realised I had left my GPS and pedals at Coolum and then had to stop there to pick them up after work! :evil:

All that taken care of, it was time to have a crack at my first alleycat, and it was great fun. Now of course being an alleycat meant some, ahem "liberal" approaches to road rules which made goody two shoes LDR more than a little uncomfortable. My legs were well up to the task but sadly my navigational skills were well short of the mark and I lost a massive amount of time a bit more than halfway through and rolled in 6th. About the hardest 20k I've done, absolutely flat nacker the whole time.

This morning it was another 4am wakeup, this time for a more positive reason, so that I could ride up to Noosa to join the Sunday bunch. I took a measured pace for the 25k up and the ride back down the coast was fairly steady. I had prior engagements and had to call it quits at Coolum, so at the top of the first rise out of Coolum I took off at full pace to get the blood pumping in the few k to home. I hit the next downhill corner at about 57kmh and rocketed up the next hill (took about 30 seconds off my previous best :shock: ) and kept up the smashfest for the next 3k :) . Very enjoyable stuff!

Off to bed now, rest day tomorrow and then things get really serious, big things coming this week!!

ldrcycles

Re: Big Big Big!

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 pm

(that video's quite crummy but I only wanted it for the title anyway)

So yesterday I decided to go for a long ride......

:)

Off went the alarm at 3:00 am, I had my usual weetbix with honey and 2 slices of toast with peanut butter, got myself ready and was out the door around 3:45. After the delightful experience of losing all my spare parts and tools in a mountain bike race a few years ago I have avoided using saddlebags but one can only fit so much stuff in jersey pockets, and even my habit of stuffing things up the legs of my knicks like a chipmunk stuffs food into it's cheek pouches wouldn't do. I kept all the important stuff like tools, phone and spare tubes in my pockets and just used the saddlebag for storing extra muesli bars.

The first section of the ride was from Coolum down the coast to Caloundra, then across to Landsborough and down the Steve Irwin Way to Caboolture. This was pretty much uneventful (as you might reasonably expect at that time!) with the exception of a few cars and trucks who passed at an unsafe distance, not shaves by any means but certainly closer than they should have been. This would be easy enough to solve if the road only had a shoulder. I simply cannot understand why, when there is a 1.5m gap of perfectly level compacted gravel between the edge of the road and the white posts, they can't just slap down a bit of bitumen so i don't have to spend so many kilometres running my nerves ragged taking the lane so i don't end up as roadkill. To quote the Chewbacca Defense "That does not make sense!"

Upon reaching Caboolture I got a little lost (easy enough to do, one bullet riddled abandoned street looks much the same as any other) but eventually managed to take a nature break and refill my water bottles before continuing south. Looking at Google Maps the night before the route from Caboolture to Samford looked as simple as shooting fish in a barrel, but the reality was rather different, and after spending 20 minutes attempting to get directions from my wife via text I ended up pointing my nose in a south-ish direction and hoping for the best. It worked well enough as I soon found myself part of heavy traffic on Old North Rd (by "part of" I mean I was going almost the same speed as the rest of the traffic, sitting in the mid 40s and frequently up into the 50s :) ).

Just as I was starting to worry that I wasn't going the right way after all a sign appeared directing me to take Eatons Crossing Rd to Samford, which turned out to be very hilly and tough going, especially as the headwind that had started around Caboolture was growing stronger. It didn't take too long to reach Samford where I stopped at a small café for smoko.

Then it was time to tackle Mt Glorious, but the moderate headwind had gone crazy and had me down to as little as 12kmh on the flat at times :O (by the top of the mountain it was so strong that I was watching small branches coming off trees, though I was going so slowly I could have been watching grass grow too :) ). The effort required to deal with that immediately after a feed gave me a stitch that didn't ease until I was over the other side, so combined with the 140kms I already had in my legs, the steep parts of the climb had me off the bike and walking a lot.

Eventually I reached the top and being low on water I decided to stop at the well known Maiala Teahouse to get some cold water/coke, but they don't have EFTPOS! In 2013 for heaven's sake! Luckily there was a park a little further on where I was able to locate a tap.

The descent on Northbrook Parkway was almost as slow as the climb, extremely steep, gusty winds and some corners so sharp that 30kmh was flat out meant I had to stop 3 times to let my brakes (and hands) rest. Once onto the flat I was able to enjoy myself a bit more though, especially watching the cows on the side of the road and a large goanna on one causeway.

Once I got to Wivenhoe-Somerset Rd and turned north things really got going again, with the wind at a more favourable angle I was able to get up into the 50s on a few flat sections and strap along quite nicely. I had to laugh when somewhere around Bryden, a non descript district in the middle of nowhere, not one but two magpies swooped me within a few kilometres! The village of Somerset Dam is a very pretty place and I had no hesitation in stopping under a big shady tree there to refill my water bottles and have a snack (All Natural Bakery yoghurt apricot and almond oat slice, absolutely delicious!)

From there to Kilcoy was reasonably straightforward, a couple of short but difficult climbs near Somerset contrasted with the flatter sections to the north where I was able to get into the high 30s and 40s once more.

After another feed in Kilcoy (at the BP servo, my preferred refuelling spot whenever i'm out there) I set off around 3:15pm for the final leg. The run to Caboolture went exceptionally well, it was an amazing feeling to be nearing Caboolture with more than 270kms on the clock and the speedo sitting on 40+kmh with no great effort :).

The run up through Elimbah went very well too but by Beerburrum my body was sending me some clear messages that it would rather prefer to not keep doing this for too much longer please.

And then I got hit by a car.

Approaching roadworks at the southern Landsborough intersection a car turned left straight across me, i was hit by the rear view mirror before bouncing off the B pillar, then making my way around the back of the car screaming obscenities i shot up the other side punching the car several times until i drew level with the driver and roared "Pull over NOW!" in his face. He did so straight away, and when my very loud demand of "What the expletive is wrong with you, you could have expletive killed me" was met with a genuine "jesus i'm so sorry" the switch instantly flicked back to normal and i calmed down.

The driver and several of the roadworkers then led me over to the side of the road to recover as the shock had me shaking like a leaf, but within a few minutes i was fine and after giving my details to a traffic controller for the incident report i was on my way again and shortly reached the northern end of the road where Stef picked me up (as getting all the way back to Coolum by bike would have been possible, but not in a reasonable time period to allow for sleep afterwards).

So in total, more than 14.5 hours from start to finish, 3,774 metres of climbing and 315.6kms. To my absolute astonishment i woke up this morning feeling perfectly fine (if a little tender) and haven't had the slightest hint of any cramping. Even so i felt it best to get a massage this afternoon after work and it was a tremendously enjoyable experience :).

Speaking of tremendously enjoyable experiences, that's exactly what i got when i went on to Strava and found that the wannabe racer was Number 3 for THE WHOLE WORLD on the bucket list challenge! Sadly the rest of the world has now woken up and got on their bikes so i am down to 44th but it was cool while it lasted :).

Last edited by ldrcycles on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:29 am

Nice work Lachlan. I'm glad the incident with the car was not worse.

ldrcycles

Re: Going down like flies!

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:04 pm

After the Oppy started making some very unhappy noises from the chain/crank/downstairs area on the long ride she's off the road pending a full strip down and rebuild (long overdue). And now the Mercier is in the garage too, the mongrel thing has started autoshifting again, and I need to sort it out once and for all before she throws me onto the road (again).

But while the equipment is copping a battering, the legs are doing quite well. Wednesday night I did some aimless wandering around Noosa while Stef was at work, and notched up 51k at an average of 32kmh, with a couple of 38kmh laps of the crit track thrown in :) .

This evening I set out for a century short course after work, and felt quite good, the only impediment to a good pace being that accursed autoshifting, which meant no out of the saddle climbing lest my person become intimate with the hotmix (again!) Still ticked along pretty well, and another 90k down, so up to 457kms for the week so far, and holding in the top 150 for the challenge :D . The yearly tally is up to 5,893kms too.

No riding tomorrow, then 80-100k sunday morning.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:22 am

Good effort there Idry. 8)

It has never ceased to amaze why they (cars) turn across you like that. :? I had one do it to me many years ago and I T-boned him, :evil: at around 50kmh as I had a good tail wind. You know what this cretin said, didn't you see my flicker! :roll: :x

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:59 am

I think it's because most motorists cant judge how fast a road cyclist is actually traveling.

ldrcycles

Re: The best laid plans...

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

In this case, the plan wasn't particularly well laid but it was a plan all the same; ride to Woodford and back targeting the flat/downhill segments between Wamuran and Caboolture.

As it happened, while I was up at 3am as per the plan, the temperature was not to specification, and the cold quickly got to me. By the time I reached the top of Steve Irwin Way the fires in the engine room were dim, so I did an about turn and headed back home. 95km at an average of 31.7kmh is still a reasonable bit of work and I picked up a whole bunch of PBs along the way.

After a protein shake, hot shower and a 2 hour nap :D , it was time to head back down to Kawana to pick up my dad from an appointment at the hospital (he drove there but was unable to drive afterwards, so I was to serve as chauffeur). The timing was, shall we say, a little snug, so I needed to be pumping hard if I was to get there on time!

Luckily I was on fire, it didn't take long to get settled in to powering along in the high 40s-low 50s. Unfortunately virtually EVERY traffic light between Coolum and Kawana was red and there was a bit of a headwind, but I still managed to cover the 26kms at an average of 37.5kmh :D .

Probably no riding for the next few days, there's a big chunk of farm work to be done.

ldrcycles

Re: Being busy

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Yep the wannabe racer has been a very busy little panda lately!

Sunday I had hoped to get some riding in but farm work ruled that out, so I made up for that by commuting on Monday. I took it fairly easy for the most part, but in the afternoon I had a crack at regaining the KOM for Low's Lookout in Coolum, a fairly short but brutally steep climb that if done properly leaves you gasping for breath and hallucinating. I managed to take 6 seconds off my pb but STILL need another 11 to get the top spot back :shock: . That's going to be tough but keep an eye on that space.

Tuesday was a big day, up to Noosa in the morning for the bunch ride (whereupon Andy Fellows asploded things to the extent that I got a new pb for Gyndier Drive trying to hang on, and promptly got shelled at the top and completed the remaining 35 odd kms solo), then back to Coolum to pick up Le Wife, up to Kin Kin for several tough hours of farm work, back to Coolum for a 50 minute nap before driving to Palmwoods to meet Wakatuki for some runs up Montville Rd. Phew!

Then today after work it was back down to Palmwoods and even though my legs were VERY sore they still did a reasonable job and I logged a decent time for the climb, I can't wait to get at it with fresh legs to see what I can really do.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Nothing to report with regards to cycling, as I have been working at the farm, so I thought it was about time I gave a proper description of what "farm work" actually means.

In addition to the dairy farm I grew up on, my family has a 55 acre block over the other side of Kin Kin with a dairy that was converted to a house back in the late 80s. An older but still remarkably fit (the thin, wiry type) gentleman (first name Ben, i won't mention the surname though I have every reason to name and shame) rented the place from around 1991 through until april this year, moving out only a few weeks after my wife and I got married. We were very excited at the prospect of moving in there in his place until we got over there and saw what had become of the farm.

The problem was that Ben sold plants at local markets, and at some point his propagating stock had got away from him. There was an impenetrable jungle all around the house that let no light through so mould everywhere, and thanks to many piles of timber stacked up there were huge numbers of termites which had completely destroyed several walls of the house. There were thousands of plastic plant pots, many of which had geisha girls, jaboticabas and who knows what else that had grown THROUGH the base of the pots into the ground (one particular highlight was a 6 METRE tall pine tree growing out of the remains of a 150mm pot). Add to this the fact that the above was a perfect habitat for snakes (we're talking HUNDREDS of snake eggs in dozens of nests :shock: ) and you can imagine how we feel about the bloke now.

But as you all know I am not one to shy away from a challenge, and how else is a young newly married couple to get into the property market?
So the last few months have seen a massive amount of work put in but we are now nearing the end of the clearing phase and will soon move into the rebuilding. I started burning the first pile of rotten/termite infested timber and prunings on August 28th and there is so much stuff still lying around that I have been constantly feeding it and the fire is still going now. That's just the first pile, there are another 4 :shock: . And then there is the fact the rest of the 55 acres has been over run with black wattle...

But anyway, time for some pics!

Before-

After-

Before-

During-

After-

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Another couple of pics, there were 3 of these massive travellers palms, all of which had grown out of pots :evil: and cutting them down was particularly enjoyable, as they have a remarkable spongey interior which holds an extraordinary amount of water. This stinking brown water is released in a sudden gush when you cut into it with a chainsaw...

And did I mention there were snakes?

ldrcycles

Re: Back to cycling again!

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 pm

After a few days off the bike I was all set to set records riding from Coolum out to the pistol club at Cooloolabin on Sunday, but unfortunately the bike I selected (the 1978 Viscount Sebring my brother rode in the Noosa Strade Bianche) had other ideas. While it's a very comfortable ride the bars are a dreadful shape, with the drops narrower than the tops, and the short 165mm cranks feel horrible. Throw in a headwind both out and back and it was not a particularly pleasant experience.

This morning I wanted to commute to work to save fuel and after initially contemplating using the Dawes for the single speed reliability I decided to give the Viscount another chance to prove itself. The ride up was quite uninspiring but on the way home things finally started to click. It occurred to me that if my usual slow cadence wasn't working, then spinning fast might be worth a shot. Lo and behold it went much better and I managed an average of 35.7kmh for the full distance and a very satisfactory 39.6kmh for a flat 1.8km segment :) . I also had a red hot go on the "Hyatt run" segment, concentrating on improving my efforts in the last few hundred metres which normally see me fade badly. I pushed right up to the point where the pain was completely surrounding me, and then kept pushing to break through the barrier and keep on top of top gear through til the end of the segment. An average of 49.4kmh was the result :) . The problem is that I hate spinning, so the Viscount will most likely be looking for a new home soon.

On the plus side, as the wheels for the Viscount aren't quite true yet I have been using the wheels off the Mercier and haven't had any issues whatsoever. So the freewheel is not the cause of the Mercier's troubles, and the chain mustn't be either as the Viscount's chain is slightly narrower but worked fine. So I'm almost certain now that the culprit is the ratchet mechanism in the SunTour shifters, investigation will tell.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:44 pm

I think your 165mm cranks are why you found the spinning easier. This applies to the narrow bars as well.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:48 pm

11 whole days between updates, for shame LDR! :(

You all know the excuse by now "I've been busy", and indeed I have been unusually rushed (not least as 2 people are off work atm so the workload has been challenging) but I really must do better.

Farm wise, the energex man said "Let there be light!" and the wannabe racer saw the light and saw that it was good and immediately went through 3 cutting discs with the angle grinder getting rid of the cattle crush and fencing in the pic a few posts above.

While waiting for the angle grinder to cool down a bit :twisted: , I went for a bit of a wander to see if I could find the "old diesel pump" my dad said was down near the big dam somewhere. Hmmm, not quite what I was expecting.....

The motor appears at a glance to be in pretty reasonable nick though, and while the piston pump is, let's say, rough, restoration may be possible.

But back to the cycling, and that has been going fairly well, no long rides but a few KOMS and some very nice average speeds. Noosa to Coolum at an average of 36.7kmh, Pomona to Cooroy at an average of 39.8kmh :shock: , and even a 41kmh average for an UPHILL segment :D .

If all goes according to plan, a sort commute to work tomorrow, 120 odd k Sunday and something interesting for Tuesday :) .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:36 am

If all the bearings and seals are ok in that pump, then it should work a treat Idry and for a long time to come. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:38 pm

The other end of it (the pump unit itself is over a metre long) is badly rusted, the insides may still be ok given how thick the metal is on these sorts of things. In looking up lister engines I found a descriptionof one a bloke had restored, significantly smaller than this one and it weighed 135kgs :shock: .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

A good ride today, I woke up when my alarm went off at half past 3 but quickly made the decision that some more sleep was necessary to maintain the engine, so back to sleep it was. After doing a bit of this and that around the house, going to see a prize home at sunshine beach and spotting some whales on our way back down the coast, I hopped on the Oppy at 3:45pm and headed south.

The first challenge was Kiel Mountain, a short steep mongrel of a climb with an even steeper descent with a terrible surface on the other side. It makes up for it though with some nice rolling roads between there and Palmwoods. Then it was down to Eudlo, over the ridiculously steep Pinch Lane climb and into Mooloolah.

At Mooloolah it was show time, my first crack at Brandenburg Road up to Bald Knob. I had driven the road a while back to check it out but still wasn't prepared for just how steep it was, 39-28 was just barely sufficient. I really have to get the balls up to ride over cattle grids though as there are 3 on that road and stopping to walk over them chews up time. That said the final grid was on a section of road so steep that I'm not sure riding it would even be possible, and I was only just able to get going again after walking over said grid.

I still managed to get some good times for that climb though, and the rest of the ride across the top of the Blackall Range then down to Palmwoods, Nambour and Bli Bli was uneventful. Plenty of stretching, protein and massage tonight, rest tomorrow and then Tuesday should be a corker :) .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:24 pm

What are you worried about cattle grids for? I ride flat stick over the ones in my area all the time.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:42 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What are you worried about cattle grids for? I ride flat stick over the ones in my area all the time.
Badly damaged the front wheel of my moto on a grid near Gatton a few years ago.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:47 pm

I guess it depends on the condition of the grid. Some are a little saggy after a few trucks have rolled over them.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 am

I've just never done it before, and I have an irrational fear of the front wheel getting caught, even though I know the wheel would need to turn a lot for that to happen and it should be just a matter of putting the weight to the rear. But I've only got so many teeth left :) . In time i'll harden up and give it a go.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 pm

A somewhat disappointing morning, after another lovely 3:15am wakeup (oh how I love those early starts!) it was off to Palmwoods for a whole bunch of repeats on Montville Rd.

At least that was the plan. When I got underway at 4:20 there were some jolly strong winds about (and one of the delightful idiosyncracies of that road is the way you can be riding south into a headwind, then a minute later riding north...into a headwind :evil: ) but I decided to just tick along at a steady pace and wait for the wind to ease off. Unfortunately it didn't, and when one of the numerous falling branches scored a direct hit on my person (luckily only a glorified twig, but it's the thought that counts) it was time to head for home.

Riding the road during daylight hours for the first time revealed 2 things, firstly that the descent isn't as tricky as I thought, and that riding at night does a great job of disguising how steep some sections are :) .

In news from the country estate, I found the crank handle for Ol' Beasty and managed to turn it over, while the pump is snart the motor seems fine, the 2 long pushrods popping up and down no worries.