My Parking Spot...

gpz1100

Re: My Parking Spot...

Postby gpz1100 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:17 pm

ive got a krtyptonite chain and lock on my parking spot,although i never use it.Its just locked to the rack,signifying my spot.That seems to be parking etiquet at my work.Does anyone enviously check out what else is parked?.its great when theres something new and expensive you havent seen before.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm

gpz1100 wrote:ive got a krtyptonite chain and lock on my parking spot,although i never use it.Its just locked to the rack,signifying my spot.That seems to be parking etiquet at my work.Does anyone enviously check out what else is parked?.its great when theres something new and expensive you havent seen before.
Other people's locks are ignored at my building and just shoved to the back of the rack.

I most definitely ogle other people's bikes. :lol:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Sometimes I take a wake-up break and walk down to check my tyres aren't flat, check out the various bike parking spots.
Apart from a couple high end examples, I usually see a lot of average bikes and appreciate mine all the more =D

re: locks, that's the main reason I return to the same spot, same routine, some regulars mix it up and take 'my spot' but there's a 3 way split so can just be a pain to dig my locks out from around their wheels/chain/derailleurs.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue May 21, 2013 6:29 pm

I abandoned my parking spot today after five+ years of "ownership". :(

I can only commute by bike two days a week now... so I have removed my lock and the dead tubes that protected my paint. From now on I'll use one of the spots that the "transient" people use.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

gpz1100

Postby gpz1100 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:18 pm

I've also noticed the numbers are starting to dwindle with the cold starting to come.thats 1of my big goals this year,make it though winter.i keep telling myself Im a piece of steel,checker plate steel.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Youll be right I'm sure, I had similar rode through all weather alternating with motorcycles scooters a couple years ago, so started 2012 exclusively bike commuting every day approaching 18months now, don't have any autos for myself anymore since not using them and would rather cycle with a fever than catch bus train.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 pm

I work in an industrial area and when more than two of us started riding to work regularly, the workshop knocked up a rack to get the clutter away from the pedestrian access to the compound.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

I took my spot back about a month ago. Re-decorated with tubes, put the lock back on.

A couple of people made the mistake of using it last week, I just moved the bikes (there were spare spaces around it! :x ), the issue hasn't recurred.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 am

twizzle wrote:I took my spot back about a month ago. Re-decorated with tubes, put the lock back on.

A couple of people made the mistake of using it last week, I just moved the bikes (there were spare spaces around it! :x ), the issue hasn't recurred.
:lol:

So they hadn't locked their bikes onto your rack? That was their fatal mistake. :P

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:17 pm

A guy here gets to work first thing, hangs his towel in the locker room, and has the same guy come in later keep moving it and hanging his towel/clothes on that spot.
Same deal loads of vacant space. I thought you could have a lot of fun with someone of that nature... but the colleagues escalated the possibilities far beyond what I thought was fair play =D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Summernight wrote:
twizzle wrote:I took my spot back about a month ago. Re-decorated with tubes, put the lock back on.

:lol:

So they hadn't locked their bikes onto your rack? That was their fatal mistake. :P
Not really... once or twice I might have accidentally fallen on a tyre with a sharp object when people didn't get the hint that the space was already claimed.