Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

kyap

Re: Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Postby kyap » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 am

Not sure if this a common cycling route but myself and saw a few cyclist went pass these roads. Got swooped by the pie. Was a scary experience. Highlighted red is the distance it followed me. Broad Arrow Rd; Bryant St.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:54 pm

That Narwee maggie is a regular. I stay away in Spring.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Is the Ryrie St, North Ryde maggie out yet? I haven't spotted any posts in this thread about it but having seen that there are many in Sydney already swooping I've avoided the area completely since there are plenty of alternatives to get past.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Magpie Alert on the M7 path! I was swooped twice but not attacked. It happened near the Eastern Creek Waste Management Centre, heading south. After the first swoop I stopped and turned around and the magpie flew to a tree branch around 30 metres away. When I started off again it swooped a second time. So it's not very aggressive. On the return leg I didn't see it at all.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 pm

A maggie on the M7 cycle path is going to be a busy bird!! I do a lot of riding on M7 and have not had Maggie issues there before, but I am mainly at the northern end.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:19 pm

He was not swooping today :)

moya

Postby moya » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Does anyone have recent experience avoiding the McGraths Hill magpie? I need to travel from Windsor to Parramatta this weekend. Would I be better taking Hawkesbury Valley Way and Park Road, or Old Hawkesbury Road to the east of Windsor Road? The extra distance doesn't bother me, I just want to avoid this stupid thing.

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Sorry for the late response,
Mates and i did the Park rd/ Railway Rd North to Hawkesbury Valley way both ways . This avoided that rotten maggie that council don't seem to care about - other tahn puttibng up signs on teh bike path - not visble from the road or teh air (not that the magpie can read -)
Dave

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:04 pm

biker jk wrote:Magpie Alert on the M7 path! I was swooped twice but not attacked. It happened near the Eastern Creek Waste Management Centre, heading south. After the first swoop I stopped and turned around and the magpie flew to a tree branch around 30 metres away. When I started off again it swooped a second time. So it's not very aggressive. On the return leg I didn't see it at all.
I was attacked by this fella on Sunday. He got me with a really hard hit that jolted my head forward. It was flying around on the return trip but my extended arm kept him at bay. Evil, souless creatures.

moya

Postby moya » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Dave_C wrote:Sorry for the late response,
Mates and i did the Park rd/ Railway Rd North to Hawkesbury Valley way both ways . This avoided that rotten maggie that council don't seem to care about - other tahn puttibng up signs on teh bike path - not visble from the road or teh air (not that the magpie can read -)
Thanks. I did the same and didn't have a problem. Lots of oranges in the shoulders on Hawkesbury Valley Way for some reason.

Old Hawkesbury Rd is actually a gravel road, so not really a potential detour.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Shred931 wrote:
biker jk wrote:Magpie Alert on the M7 path! I was swooped twice but not attacked. It happened near the Eastern Creek Waste Management Centre, heading south. After the first swoop I stopped and turned around and the magpie flew to a tree branch around 30 metres away. When I started off again it swooped a second time. So it's not very aggressive. On the return leg I didn't see it at all.
I was attacked by this fella on Sunday. He got me with a really hard hit that jolted my head forward. It was flying around on the return trip but my extended arm kept him at bay. Evil, souless creatures.
It got me as well on Sunday on the return leg heading north. Helmet strike but no damage to it or me. So clearly this maggie has turned from swooping to attacking. It did encourage some fast peddling on my part (I passed my riding buddy and when I looked back he was 500m behind). :D

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:25 pm

I notice the oranges as well - I was waiting for some car to go past with someone throwing them at cyclist - but was OK
Gravel rd + road weels = not fun! did not know that so a definate avoid that route
Dave

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Got hit twice on the helmet this morning going through Galston Rd. About 500 metres from the cnr of Galston rd and Pacific hwy.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:54 pm

moya wrote:
Dave_C wrote:Sorry for the late response,
Thanks. I did the same and didn't have a problem. Lots of oranges in the shoulders on Hawkesbury Valley Way for some reason.

Old Hawkesbury Rd is actually a gravel road, so not really a potential detour.

today HVW was littered with those oranges and about a dozen eggs. the bogans are bored ????

bollo

Postby bollo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:51 pm

got my 1st swoop / hit today riding through St Clair dam maggy's
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

TimW

Postby TimW » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Went for a nice fathers day lunch with the family. Look what was watching me outside the restaurant, IT'S STALKING ME!!!!!!!

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:02 pm

First hit for the season. Along the Fed Trail behind the metal recyclers near Fitzgerald Rd. He timed it perfectly well, I was up against a vicious head wind so was rolling lazily along at about 22 kph and he just made two swoops, both connecting with the helmet. On the return to that stretch, dialled it up to 40 kph (tail wind assisted) and he just did not notice me.

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Notice on just past the Rouse Hill Shops on Windsor Rd. Mate had a flat, we weer stopped. It Went for a guy heading to Windsor then gave up on him and went for another heading back to the shops near where we had stopped. 9Didn't see us as a target)
Dave

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Dave_C wrote:Notice on just past the Rouse Hill Shops on Windsor Rd. Mate had a flat, we weer stopped. It Went for a guy heading to Windsor then gave up on him and went for another heading back to the shops near where we had stopped. 9Didn't see us as a target)
crap, hadn't seen him this year yet so thought he had found a new residence. heading towards Kellyville its a easy one to bypass (turn left near the fiddler then right ad go around the back of the shops then right again back to Windsor rd), going towards Windsor is not as easy to detour

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Was attacked this weekend around Macquarie University and outside CSIRO Epping/Marsfield area. Watch out!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:52 am

Dave_C wrote:Notice on just past the Rouse Hill Shops on Windsor Rd. Mate had a flat, we weer stopped. It Went for a guy heading to Windsor then gave up on him and went for another heading back to the shops near where we had stopped. 9Didn't see us as a target)
That was me with the flat!!

I was also attacked on Saturday on Green Rd near Wrights Rd (Castle Hill/Kellyville??). I heard some flapping about and waved an arm, and he made no contact. That magpie was nothing compared to the Macca's Maggie!!

ab1981

Postby ab1981 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am

bollo wrote:got my 1st swoop / hit today riding through St Clair dam maggy's
Where in St Clair mate?

There's one on the corner of Racecourse Rd and Batt St, South Penrith who's been making a sh*t of himself lately. Seems to have a thing for cyclists. He won't attack people in the park - just people riding past (self included).

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:59 am

ab1981 wrote:There's one on the corner of Racecourse Rd and Batt St, South Penrith who's been making a sh*t of himself lately. Seems to have a thing for cyclists. He won't attack people in the park - just people riding past (self included).
I wonder if that's the offspring of the one that got a mate in that location a little over 20 years ago (he fell off his BMX and broke his arm). Although with their lifespan it could even be the same one.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 pm

The magpie between the viaduct and Gipps Road on the Canal cycleway is being a pest again.

Two warning swoops on me today - my first for the season. Apologies to the pedestrians going the opposite direction who seemed scared by my 45km/h escape attempt.

That's it - I'm riding only at night now. :lol: Just leave me alone and let me ride in peace.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm

I've found a swooper that came in for two attack runs on the hill (climb naturally) on Ray Rd, Carlingford between Pennant Parade and Magnolia Avenue this morning. Stratch that from my morning commute alternatives for a couple of months.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS