Race Report Thread

foo on patrol

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:54 am

Good one Kirky! 8)

I hate reading this section sometimes, makes me sad and miss my race days. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:35 am

twizzle wrote:
Ross wrote:... a couch potato on an alloy frame BSO..
Hey - I resemble that remark! :lol:

Or did you mean James? No, hang on, he was riding $4.5K of CF TT frame.

Just to rub it in - my frame cost $110 AU.
I may have dropped my fitness a bit since I use to school you in TT but i can still out sprint you. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 am

twizzle wrote:
Ross wrote:... a couch potato on an alloy frame BSO..
Hey - I resemble that remark! :lol:

Or did you mean James? No, hang on, he was riding $4.5K of CF TT frame.

Just to rub it in - my frame cost $110 AU.
I may have dropped my fitness a bit since I use to school you in TT but i can still out sprint you. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Northern Combine C gr. kermesse - National Blvde.

this was not my brightest idea. on antibiotics following last week's crash and with a head cold, i rolled down to Campbellfield to try my luck. at least it was a short hop so i didn't have much to lose. the biggest revelation, having finally gotten around to connecting my HRM up to my Garmin, was a peak BPM of 240 - 60 more than my age-based maximum! this was on the first lap, before it 'settled down' to about 160. then a car blocked us at the roundabout (a feature of this circuit) and after a bit of shoulder shrugging as a group got away ahead, we organised some rolling turns to catch them. my HR climbed up to mid 170s and that was it - i started feeling terrible and pulled the pin 30 mins. into a 50 minute race.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:47 pm

And how many times do we say in this forum, don't race/train with this crud in our systems, Jules? :roll: It sets you back more than anything. Give yourself an upper cut. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:07 pm

foo on patrol wrote:And how many times do we say in this forum, don't race/train with this crud in our systems, Jules? :roll: It sets you back more than anything. Give yourself an upper cut. :wink:
you're right Foo! i'm so rarely sick it's a new experience for me!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:13 pm

I couldn't race on antibiotics ... but I have raced sick, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :P .
Going to race today I hope ... be a good way to crack the 10,000 km mark for the year ... be even better if I can win :mrgreen:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I couldn't race on antibiotics ... but I have raced sick, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :P .
Going to race today I hope ... be a good way to crack the 10,000 km mark for the year ... be even better if I can win :mrgreen:
Well I was feeling pretty good seeing as I am going to crack 1000Km :oops: well for me and what I do for a job, it's good. :mrgreen:

You're a very lucky bloke TLL to be able to do what you do. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:12 pm

you can only do what you can do mate... I am 1000 kms behind where I was last year. Be nice to be able to do more... depends if you can handle more though to I suppose.
Arthurdog isn't far off cracking 20,000 for the year so far ... no wonder he is flying!.

vander

Postby vander » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:19 pm

foo on patrol wrote:And how many times do we say in this forum, don't race/train with this crud in our systems, Jules? :roll: It sets you back more than anything. Give yourself an upper cut. :wink:

Foo
I raced while on antibiotics today, the race felt pretty easy also I was just empty. If only I didnt ride 40km out and 40km back I might of had a good race. 145km while on antibiotics, backing up from racing on the track last night and tomorrow I am going to do a TT. Should be fun!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:38 am

I wouldn't expect any thing less from you Vander ;-) .
70km race today... Totally thought it was another circuit... This one wasn't so flat as I thought it was going to be. Hammered myself a bit Wed & Thur which meant I was still feeling it a bit today. Plan today was basically sit in and sprint for the uphill finish if I can. Felt ok but not fresh enough for an attack.
Kicking myself now because a guy attack just into the last 8km lap from just in front of me, everyone else including me just watched... Good on him though.
So sprinted for 2nd... Got blocked in the last 400 and had a bit of argy Barry to get free... Only 5th out of 40... Good enough for a bottle of bubbly.
Might race tomorrow... There's a 70km points race on a 1.4km flat circuit. Sprint first lap and every two laps afterwards, so about 25ish sprints... Double points at the end. Never done one before, but sounds like something that might suit me... How do you ride such a thing, especially as I will be on my own and there will be a couple of good size teams there.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:10 am

Raced the PE Green Handicap 55- or was it 60km, because it never seemed to end. Block head wind for 40kms. Anyways after two weeks off the bike needed to get a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! race out of my legs and this race with a 7km climb in it was it. Started off as they usually do, first 500m, a few rolling turns, order of riders is sorted out, and then no-one takes turns. They want a few of us to take turns, while they sit, so I sat up and told them I'm not working for them. I had a team mate in the bunch so its up to them. It bemused me the same guys who weren't working then yelled from the back take turns, roll over. Anyways at 10ks there was a slight rise so decided to kick and see what happens, dropped the bunch by 20m, team mate came across, and 1 other, so I sat up. 14ks, had another kick and same result. Then into a 9km flat section I put the hammer down and off the front I went, 1 guy came across so I sat his wheel. 16ks, team mate launched an attack and was clear so I sat up on the front of the bunch, eventually 1, 2, 3, 4 riders went across. By the bottom of the climb we were all together and my legs were shattered. Got some good feelings in my legs now and looking ahead.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:54 am

Oh well ... didn't have the legs in the end. Cat 2 started one minute in front of Cat1, thinking was we would get to play amongst ourselves a little bit before Cat1 caught us then we would ride as one group... 1.4km lap for 60kms, sprinting first lap and every two laps after that. Didn't quite work out... we got with in a couple of hundred meters of lapping Cat1 ... 3 guys got away and latched on to Cat1. That was basically the race over after 20kms. After that the team mates of the 3 that got away apparently drove Cat1 hard and we didn't make anymore time on them. 26 laps in we sat up and waited for Cat1 to catch us so we could at least sprint. Anyway tried a few break aways but the headwind was a killer and some laps we up around 45kmph.
Marked a couple of 2nds and 3rds in sprints ... but nothing to write home about... lack of sprint training really showed, so did lack of team mates.
Good training after yesterdays race all the same... 60kms at 40.5 kmph I think.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:28 pm

BNE: Nundah Dome. The track has a lot of bush around it, and is beside a waterway. Most know of a big carpet python that lives in the area and occasionally crosses the track during training. Last Saturday, it decided to cross during a women's race. One of the girls managed to bunny hop it, and everyone else got around ok. Most of us appreciate it....not so the red bellied blacks and browns that are also seen.

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Tour of Two Rivers - B Grade - Stage 1
Saturday August 31, 60km scratch race in Griffith, NSW
23C 10kmh winds from the NW

I travelled across to Griffith with a couple of teammates to race the first two stages of the Tour of Two Rivers, I was racing B grade and the other guys were both racing A grade. Saturday was the scratch race, a 60km out and back course with a total elevation gain of just 83m. The B grade bunch was about 20 strong, with the clubs involved in the series all fielding teams, I knew I was going to have a bit of a tough day without any teammates to help me. There was one other Canberran in the group and we had a quick chat at the start to hatch out some plans, unfortunately he got a flat pretty early on and we didn't get to work together.

Not much was happening early on, somehow I found myself on the front for a lot of it (those country boys are the masters of handicap racing and they really know how to follow a wheel). I figured if I was on the front I might as well try to go off the front, so I made a few attacks to see what would happen. They weren't going to let me go solo, but I managed to get back to about 4th wheel and let a gap go in front of me, once the gap was big enough I jumped across and we started working pretty well together. We only managed to stay away for a bit over 10km but it was a good effort. A few attacks came on the way back, I managed to chase down most of them while unfortunately dragging the bunch behind me. Eventually a goup of four got away and I was sick of doing all the chasing so I left it to others to close it down. Of course the four in the break represented four separate clubs so they weren't interested in chasing, and for some reason the remainder of the bunch wasn't interested either.

With 10km to go and the break still in sight but not getting any closer I bit the bullet and started trying to reel them in, I got some help from one other guy and some sporadic efforts from some youngsters but it was all a bit late and I didn't have enough left in my legs to close the gap. When the 1km to go sign appeared the pace picked up and couldn't go with it, they could have their bunch sprint for 5th place but I wasn't interested.

I was happy with the race overall, I did what I wanted to do - made some attacks, got in a break, chased down some breaks. Unfortunately I missed the winning move, but I will take the tactical lessons and learn from them.

My teammates did well in A grade, one went in a 2 man break that stayed away for a while, he was eventually reeled in and the other teammate won the bunch sprint.

Tour of Two Rivers - B Grade - Stage 2
Sunday September 1, 21km TT in Griffith, NSW
20C 10-15kmh winds from the NE

Usually I do reasonably well in TTs so I was looking forward to this stage, mainly I wanted to see how much I had improved since last year. The course was two laps of a 10.5km circuit with only 4m of elevation gain, super flat! I felt ok during my warmup and thought things were looking pretty good. My only aero gear is a set of clip-on bars that belong to my girlfriend so I had them attached when I took my position in the lineup, I was away in third position with both guys ahead of me sporting full TT rigs with aero helmets, shoe covers, skin suits, and even a disc wheel. I started to get a little worried. Behind me were more TT bikes and aero helmets, uh oh.

My first lap wasn't too bad and I only lost about 15 seconds to the guy in front of me, and it was 35 seconds quicker than my first lap last year. Second lap was much tougher with what felt like a strong headwind along the bottom of the course, I think the previous day had taken its toll a little and I struggled to maintain my pace. The second lap ended up being about 30 seconds slower than my first lap which was disappointing because I wanted to do consistent laps (or negative split if feeling good). Still, both laps were faster than last year so I shouldn't be too unhappy.

Ended up nearly 2 minutes behind the winner. Average speed was a disappointing 39.75kmh.

Next year I'm going to buy some speed - aero helmet, shoe covers, and maybe a skinsuit!

Teammates both performed well with the winner from Saturday winning again.

All in all it was a fun weekend of racing in fantastic weather with a nice bunch of guys. I'm looking forward to the next round of the series - The Bellbridge Classic (Giro delle Bellbridge!) on the 13th of October.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:42 pm

winstonw wrote:BNE: Nundah Dome. The track has a lot of bush around it, and is beside a waterway. Most know of a big carpet python that lives in the area and occasionally crosses the track during training. Last Saturday, it decided to cross during a women's race. One of the girls managed to bunny hop it, and everyone else got around ok. Most of us appreciate it....not so the red bellied blacks and browns that are also seen.
Yikes! That's not a small snake to dodge!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Racing Anecdotes.

#1 RR. He pushed off the front on the second lap, did the guy in the skin suit. Tall and lean on a new Giant. He drilled the downhill at 74kmh. I had trouble to stay on his wheel. As we hit the uphill I rolled over him, ‘we gapped them, let’s go.’ I pushed hard up the 4% grade. I didn’t sense him behind me. I looked back, he was coming like a freight train towing four little carriages. I sprinted into the caboose position. It slowed momentarily as he rested a little on the crest. Then he became the relentless TT machine.

I snapshotted a 1kmh section where I was behind him up a 4.5% grade. We were doing 30kmh, and I was at 95% HR. And he went on. And on. And on. And I exited. I pulled out of second wheel. I couldn’t maintain it. The two remaining riders begged him not to drop them, they promised not to sprint over him. He came third.

I think that being crushed in a race by someone better is so motivating. It is the one time I wish I had a power meter so that I could record what was going on. Strava power was 475watts for that km. It is a shame that I can’t get power from Strava for my trainer work, because I would love to replicate and build to be able to sustain the power – and here I just mean the power to sit on his wheel.

#2 Crit. I hit a bump ¾ of the way through the race. The bike ran rough for a second. A momentary soft pedal and all was right.

I was in an excellent position for the sprint, I felt fresh from schnivelling most of the race. Around the outside, the race opened up. One right, one wide left, one centre that I was never going to catch and one further right out of view. Acres and acres of sprinting space. Seated, 130rpm, 56kmh, flat finish. I stood, I couldn’t spin faster. I couldn’t get more speed out.
The chain had dropped off the large ring, I was in the 11-39. Game over. I have read this many times, but you must be in the right gear for the sprint. First time that lesson has been rammed home for me. It was the difference between 2nd and 4th.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:56 pm

ft_critical wrote:The two remaining riders begged him not to drop them, they promised not to sprint over him. He came third.
hahaha. is this real? words must have been said :)

vander

Postby vander » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:41 pm

ft_critical wrote:Racing Anecdotes.
I snapshotted a 1kmh section where I was behind him up a 4.5% grade. We were doing 30kmh, and I was at 95% HR. And he went on. And on. And on. And I exited. I pulled out of second wheel. I couldn’t maintain it. The two remaining riders begged him not to drop them, they promised not to sprint over him. He came third.
It is the one time I wish I had a power meter so that I could record what was going on. Strava power was 475watts for that km. It is a shame that I can’t get power from Strava for my trainer work, because I would love to replicate and build to be able to sustain the power – and here I just mean the power to sit on his wheel.
I assume you are talking about your CCCC race and blood hill? If you are, I can tell you I did it on Sunday as part of the TT. Up the actual climb part (around 600m) I averaged a bit over 370W (for around 10ish sec slow) @76kg (Lets round down and say 4.8W/kg) so just at a guess I would say you would of been a bit over 5W/kg whatever that ends up for you (although you were sitting in, even though only around 20km/h still makes a difference).

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 pm

How's this for some race reports.

A mate of mine knew him as a lightweight rower.

Cheers,

Cameron

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Jules21 wrote:is this real?
Yes Jules, but he did tell them it was a race and to race. Still, someone carries you begging for 20km and you don't have a moral objection to toasting them :?:
vander wrote: blood hill?

Up the actual climb part (around 600m) I averaged a bit over 370W ...around 20km/h
No Vander it was the otherside of Bloodhill out to the turn, so not as steep.

I solo'd away on Bloodhill, 600m, 6.3% at 22.2kmh for 417 StravaWatts @79kg. There were no atmospherics at play, so that seems a pretty reasonable number.
My issue is that I can't get Strava to calculate StravaWatts on my home trainer. The plan being (were it possible) to do sub-target wattage repeats in a controlled environment.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:18 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Jules21 wrote:is this real?
Yes Jules, but he did tell them it was a race and to race. Still, someone carries you begging for 20km and you don't have a moral objection to toasting them :?:
i hope they offered him some prize money at least..

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:13 pm

FT... I think I know where your next pocket money upgrade needs to go ;-)

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:24 pm

toolonglegs wrote:FT... I think I know where your next pocket money upgrade needs to go ;-)
+ 1

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 am

toolonglegs wrote:you can only do what you can do mate... I am 1000 kms behind where I was last year. Be nice to be able to do more... depends if you can handle more though to I suppose.
Arthurdog isn't far off cracking 20,000 for the year so far ... no wonder he is flying!.
Speaking of antibiotics...I was on them for a week, but also didn't turn a pedal in anger. Not quite sure how the form is but will find out soon I guess.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au