Spewin'! Vietnam Airlines to Osaka gouging scum........

Nitram

Spewin'! Vietnam Airlines to Osaka gouging scum........

Postby Nitram » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 pm

So I bought a return ticket to Osaka with Vietnam Airlines in reliance on their website info which talks about a 30kg weight limit for checked-in baggage, and that bikes have to be in a box with the tires deflated and blah blah blah. Now they tell me that if the checked-in box contains a bike then it'll be and extra $500US each way, effectively more than doubling the fare. :( It doesn't matter that the box is just a box and that it might just as well contain 30kg of camping equiptment or whatever. For some reason they're trying to gouge cyclists- can't imagine why. Scum !

Stuff that. So I'm cancelling the ticket that I bought in reliance on their website and they're saying there's a $300 cancellation fee ! Bastards !!! :evil: Also looking into a Fair Trading action :twisted: :twisted:

It seems that both Jetstar and Singapore Airlines have a more reasonable policy even if the ticket is a little more expensive.so I'll go with them.

Spewin' !

Nitram :(

giantcfr1

Re: Spewin'! Vietnam Airlines to Osaka gouging scum........

Postby giantcfr1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Nitram wrote:... Now they tell me that if the checked-in box contains a bike then it'll be and extra $500US each way,...
Farrrrrr Out!!! For that price you could buy a road bike here and dump it at the airport (or my house :wink: )

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for letting us know.
That sux.
I've not had the opportunity to travel with Vietnam Airlines.
Now I never will.
I'll make a point of traveling with someone else :!:
What I will do is keep a link of this thread and any opportunity I get to go to a location VA also flies to, I'll be sure
to contact them and let them know they arnt getting my money and exactly why. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Singapore Airlines is pretty good with regard to bikes. I recall they allowed 25kg for the bike with no extra charges.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:02 pm

You would probably get away with a Bike Friday in its case, or maybe some other sort of demountable bike in a hard case. Maybe a Ground Effect Tardis?

It's pretty rediculous though, especially if there was nothing about it on their website.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 pm

That really sucks !!
We fly emirates and haven't had any problems. Our tandem fits into 2 standard size cases though which helps and we can normally keep the weight of each bag to about 22kg. Love S & S machine couplers