Scott genius 30 rear shock issue

Swbjam

Scott genius 30 rear shock issue

Postby Swbjam » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi to anyone who can help,

I own a scott genius 30. The rears shock has been a lemon since the day I bought it. I have had it replaced/serviced 3 times under warranty. It is now g again and I want a permanent fix. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can retro-fit another brands rear shock to replace the equiliser 2 shock. Scott advises you cannot but I question their motives for saying this. Has anyone had experience in doing this?

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can purchase an equiliser 2 or the next upgrade from for a decent price. I was quoted $600 by the rep.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Scott genius 30 rear shock issue

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 pm

I seem to recall that Scott had a shock built for them because their suspension path and damping ratios is not like that of other frames, so even if you could find one with the correct eye to eye length and travel you would probably need to get it majorly retuned to suit the frame. May well be wrong of course,it's been a while... :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Get on the phone to Tekin Suspension in Melbourne. They might be able to help you out. Failing that I can vouch for the suspension guy at TBSM in Sydney...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

CSW80

Postby CSW80 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi "Swbjam" - Did you ever find anyone that could help with this problem - I have got the same bike same problem..... Thinking of getting rid of the bike altogether and toying with the idea of a full carbon frame...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:04 am

This is the 2 chamber pull shock, yeah?

Unfortunately you're limited to just the shock you have. No one else makes anything comparable.

Which was great for Scott but sucks for customers.

If it was a good idea other brands would have picked it up.

The guy who championed this has since gone to Cannondale and some similarly ugly designs are now emerging there.

It's a real pity the shock doesn't use standard seals. They are a wear component and at least with fox and rockshox push shocks you can self service the air seals.