End of Summer

pospete

End of Summer

Postby pospete » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:25 pm

It's coming upto the end of summer :( :( Well at least down here I should be able to keep riding through the winter, if it does'nt rain. Whats the average winter temp for where you are?
Talk to the hand

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:18 pm

March and april are the best months of the year in brissie, nice crisp mornings warming to about 27c during the day and humidity seems to drop too. looking forward to it :)

MJF

Postby MJF » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Errr.... long term average for Canberra for July is -0.4 to 11.2. Hottest July day for '06 was 15.5, coldest was 8.8, and coldest night was -5.8. -10 is the record (in 1971).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Sydney does a little better than Canberra.

I go past a board with the temperature on it and last year there were plenty of days where it said 4degC but on one morning it said 2degC

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:42 pm

Well that massive (almost) thunderstorm that just hit sydney definatley indicates a change in the climate.

First time I have ridden seriously in rain. (the early light shower (1700) not the big down pour. Lucky I left early today.

IDEA - how about linking to BOM off the site main page. I'm sure alot of cyclists could use such a link.

Can any MTB / ROADIES give some advice about the main pro's cons and quirks about riding in rain?

I am thinking of getting a bandana/similar? to tie around my outh so I don't get dirt in it. (looked like some other roadies slowed down? could this be to minimise splashback?)

I have a flatbar road bike (apollo allegra) that I use for short trips / rainy days.

Wore sunnies (luckily). (would have been impossible to ride over 8kms/h without them)

Brake earlier, steer clear of puddles, take extra care near sandy/gravely road.

Don't wear your good white sock / shorts / shirt (whoops)

Sapped a bit more water wrinsing my mouth before glugs. (20%)

What else anyone else whos game enough to brave the elements?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:08 pm

Mudgaurds are a must. If you don't want permanent fixtures, there's lots out there with quick releases.

A lightweight waterproof jacket/pants.

A pair of clear safety specs from Bunnings etc will keep your eyes clear.

White and red blinkies day and night when it's raining.
gururug wrote:Brake earlier, steer clear of puddles, take extra care near sandy/gravely road.
About the only thing I could add to that would be sit up and be visible.

Factor in some extra maintenance riding in the wet.

Cheers
Shaun

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:12 pm

Oh yeah... the clear safety glasses, a bit of Mr Sheen works just as well as RainX at keeping the lenses clear :wink:

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:09 am

MJF wrote:Errr.... long term average for Canberra for July is -0.4 to 11.2. Hottest July day for '06 was 15.5, coldest was 8.8, and coldest night was -5.8. -10 is the record (in 1971).
That's why it felt so cold last year!
I only ever listened to the radio before I went out to get an idea of what I was letting myself in for, but it seemed as though it was often usually below zero (-2 or -3), with -6 to -7 every now and then. The thing I liked the most ( :? ) was that some mornings, it would be a degree colder when I got back than when I left (probably due to 'rounding' by the radio station) and the cold pocket (it was distinctly noticeable) along Ginninderra Drive in Florey.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:02 am

I always used to hate coming down from Canberra Uni to Lake Ginninderra - you would get near to the bottom of the hill and drop suddenly into cold air... It was "the sign" that Autumn had arrived.

tuco

Re: End of Summer

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:06 am

pospete wrote:It's coming upto the end of summer :( :( Well at least down here I should be able to keep riding through the winter, if it does'nt rain. Whats the average winter temp for where you are?
Average temp up here? June, July and August 26C plus it's the dry season so no rain.

Feel free to come on up for a cycling holiday.

merida901

Postby merida901 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:39 am

pospete wrote:It's coming upto the end of summer :( :( Well at least down here I should be able to keep riding through the winter, if it does'nt rain. Whats the average winter temp for where you are?
Doesn't matter for me so much as i will be in the Gym, on the wind triner, and on the rollers all winter.

I actually start my preperation for the Christmas Track Carnivals at the end of April!

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:55 pm

tuco wrote:
Average temp up here? June, July and August 26C plus it's the dry season so no rain.

Pete you don't need to go that far north. Average temps in the Sydney Basin area are 16-17 for Jun-Aug, and winters are fairly dry down here as well.

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:01 pm

matagi wrote:
tuco wrote:

Pete you don't need to go that far north. Average temps in the Sydney Basin area are 16-17 for Jun-Aug, and winters are fairly dry down here as well.
16-17C!!!!! That's f-f-f-f-f-freezing.

pospete

Postby pospete » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:53 pm

Actually having come from the UK, earlier in the summer on days when it was on just 20C I was swimming in the sea. I thought last winter was very mild here, so I expect to be able to do alot more over the winter.
I remember winters in the UK, when Feb/march the average temperatures rarely made the +! And some days were well below, so here it's like heaven in comparison.
Talk to the hand

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:02 pm

I remember asking a mate in England what day that had summer on that year - he not only gave me the date, but gave me the times as well :wink:

Daylight savings is about to end here which annoy me - with our wacky time meridian (it's actually in NSW), CST gives us light early in the morning and no evening to do anything in. Keep daylight saving all year, the meridian would be in SA and we'd at least have a part of an evening to work in (it gets dark about 8 at the moment).

Richard

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:48 pm

tuco wrote:
matagi wrote:
tuco wrote: Average temp up here? June, July and August 26C plus it's the dry season so no rain.

16-17C!!!!! That's f-f-f-f-f-freezing.
That's T-shirt/shorts weather in winter Canberra!