The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

herzog

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 am

human909 wrote:
herzog wrote:Have you seen what happens when a bike wheel meets tram tracks running in the direction of travel?
No. If you practice a little caution then nothing happens. I ride along the centre of tram tracks all the time.

Curbs, potholes, grates all present hazards too, but that doesn't mean cyclists can't deal with them.
No, but there's a lot of cyclists who really struggle with tram tracks.

They aren't familiar with the concept of crossing the tracks at an angle etc. In low light or rain, the situation is worse again.

How do you reckon this punter would go?

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:05 am

So how does any of this suggest that "Cyclists do not belong on tram tracks".

Sure there may be some cyclists who struggle with tram tracks. There may be others who struggle tying their own shoes. However none of this means that cyclist shouldn't be on tram tracks!

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 am

New Silly Cyclists is out after a 5 month gap.

Episode 47

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 am

apsilon wrote:Maybe this is obvious to the Melbournians, but why wouldn't you overtake on the right? That's where you'd normally over take :?
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lic ... urists.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Passing or overtaking trams: There are several rules about driving in Melbourne that relate to trams: Drivers may only overtake a tram on the left.
Also, the cyclists that I saw were not over taking, they were simply going the wrong way on a quite Saturday morning down Collins. I didn't see it, but I guess they turned right onto Collins from Swanston and instead of turning into the left hand side of the road, they decide the right was good enough. Then they crossed the tram tracks behind the tram, overtook and turned left onto Russell.

Granted, it was a quite Saturday morning, and there wasn't much traffic, but seriously......
Last edited by tekapo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:09 am

tekapo wrote:http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lic ... urists.htm
Passing or overtaking trams: There are several rules about driving in Melbourne that relate to trams: Drivers may only overtake a tram on the left.
OK, thanks. So can I assume trams only operate on roads that are multi lane or is there simply no way to pass a tram on a single lane road? Anyone know why tram lines were placed in right hand lanes rather than the left which would seem to make more sense? Then you could have passing on the right like the other 99.9% of Australia and passengers could disembark on to the foot path rather than the middle of the road. Getting offtopic but genuinely curious.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:20 am

apsilon wrote: OK, thanks. So can I assume trams only operate on roads that are multi lane or is there simply no way to pass a tram on a single lane road? Anyone know why tram lines were placed in right hand lanes rather than the left which would seem to make more sense? Then you could have passing on the right like the other 99.9% of Australia and passengers could disembark on to the foot path rather than the middle of the road. Getting offtopic but genuinely curious.
Trams mostly operate on multi lane roads, but that "multi lane" can contain parked cars.

The reason for trams running in the centre of the road is, I think, one of turning circle - they can't manage a hard left turn and so use the right lane.

The problem is the parked cars on roads used by trams. This prevents cars behind the tram passing it between stops, making roads like Sydney Road useless to drivers.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am

Ahh, that makes some sense. Thanks.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 am

[quote="human909]
Um, he quite clearly said "Cyclists do not belong on tram tracks". But that said I don't see how overtaking a tram on the right is any more dangerous than overtaking any other large vehicle. Normal common sense applies, check that it is safe beforehand.
![/quote]

Its not my favorite bit of the road. BUT if he means tram tracks in the narrow sense.. the actual tracks rather than the lane they are in. Then well.... enough said.

Trams have terrible brakes. Really appalling and dodgy brakes. Its something to remember when stuffing around near them.
And personally I cannot think of a single tram track that anyone ... not a total loon would overtake the tram on the right. And I cant think of a single road where anyone not a total loon would overtake a truck in the centre of the road on the right... that has tram tracks... (Well... Burwood highway... places like that.. but thats not what he means. ) THats a 3 lane road with a cente reservation for the tram tracks. I cant off the top of my head think of a road thats got even 2 clear lanes and a tram track with no seperataion

But meh.. you know that.

zero

Postby zero » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:38 am

nezumi wrote:
apsilon wrote: OK, thanks. So can I assume trams only operate on roads that are multi lane or is there simply no way to pass a tram on a single lane road? Anyone know why tram lines were placed in right hand lanes rather than the left which would seem to make more sense? Then you could have passing on the right like the other 99.9% of Australia and passengers could disembark on to the foot path rather than the middle of the road. Getting offtopic but genuinely curious.
Trams mostly operate on multi lane roads, but that "multi lane" can contain parked cars.

The reason for trams running in the centre of the road is, I think, one of turning circle - they can't manage a hard left turn and so use the right lane.

The problem is the parked cars on roads used by trams. This prevents cars behind the tram passing it between stops, making roads like Sydney Road useless to drivers.
Bear in mind that a Melbourne tram can have 210 passengers, and is 33m long. At typical melbourne vehicle loadings, the equivalent people in a stationary car queue would be some 1100m long, and take 9 minutes to filter past a point in flowing traffic. In 50% occupation intersection roads, that traffic would be expected to take 18 minutes to filter past a point in a single lane, and you would have an expected queuing time of 18 minutes to join the road.

ie the trip demand on that road is not solvable via cars, and if you _need_ to move a car via due to _needing_ a car on the other side of that journey, you should be awfully glad that people are using the trams, and therefore the space for more necessary car and truck journeys exist, and quite frankly other users should be annoyed with the population of single occupant toorak tractors on that particular road, particularly if they drive a trade vehicle that is carrying a payload that actually justifies its trip.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Yeah, passing a tram on the outside is stupid. There's much truth in the "Rhinoceros on a skateboard" safety ads.
So's standing the wrong side of the line on the Swanston St superstops before the tram gets there.
Stupidest of all is trusting everybody else to do the right thing.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Guy riding a "bike", no lights, no helmet, wrong side of the road against heavy traffic, downhill, listening to headphones, smoking. The definition of temporary citizen.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:01 am

I can think of maybe a couple of hundred metres of tram tracks where you can overtake on the right (Kerferd Rd for example). Everywhere else it is illegal for bloody good reason. I've seen what a tram can do to a car first hand (I was driving the tram), you don't want that on a bike.

My main issue is with cyclists who go along tram tracks where they shouldn't. I've seen bikes ride along reserved tram tracks such as St Georges Rd. Bloody stupid. Just because you know where the tram is going doesn't mean you should use part of the road specifically for trams and trams alone. Riding in the middle of the tracks on a narrow road with parked cars (eg Chapel St) can be the only way sometimes, I must have been silly and assumed that people wouldn't think I was referring to that situation. I'll assume lower intelligence next time.

The original example was of a cyclist passing a tram on the right in the city. Absolutely stupid behaviour. Trams are like a truck with no steering, and they can weigh over 50 tonnes fully loaded. Trams may also have grip problems on a perfectly dry road (eg, leaves, pine needles on Lygon St etc). I may know when this will happen because I have driven trams, unless you have driven them you will have no idea. Want to take the risk? I suppose I'll assume lower intelligence again.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:08 pm

But, but.. Head down bum up blatting down the tracks on StGs road is SO much suicidal fun it should get coverage on the extreme sports channel and be sponsored by Power Thirst!

JK :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm

bloody possums don't pay rego! get off the bridge!! :evil:

i now regret the effeminate coo-cooing sounds i made :oops:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

jules21 wrote:i now regret the effeminate coo-cooing sounds i made :oops:
You were a different bloke back then Jules, experience has changed you...
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Mulger bill wrote:You were a different bloke back then Jules, experience has changed you...
for better or worse?! :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Spotted a rider today under speed witha tailwind approaching a roundabout. He was just behind a large motorbike, probably a Harley. The rider then overtook the Harley on the outside through the single lane roundabout. Harley rider looked over at him as if to say 'what are you doing ya loony?' If the Harley had gone wide on the exit of the roundabout there could have been another cyclist knocked down. For some reason the dashcam in the work car didn't record it for me, funny coz it recorded plenty of other useless rubbish today.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm

jules21 wrote:bloody possums don't pay rego! get off the bridge!! :evil:

i now regret the effeminate coo-cooing sounds i made :oops:

It wasn't even on a leash. Won't someone think of the cyclists???
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.
ProLite Cuneo

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm

AKO wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.
That is a huge worry. Lots of water and take tomorrow off.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
AKO wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.
That is a huge worry. Lots of water and take tomorrow off.
Start night shift tomorrow night so should be all good. Feeling heaps better now and just been guzzling water and aqualyte all day. I kind of defeated the purpose of riding on an empty stomach by eating lollies, chocolate and other rubbish most of the day. I was just too flat to prepare meals.
ProLite Cuneo

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm

bychosis wrote:Spotted a rider today under speed witha tailwind approaching a roundabout. He was just behind a large motorbike, probably a Harley. The rider then overtook the Harley on the outside through the single lane roundabout. Harley rider looked over at him as if to say 'what are you doing ya loony?' If the Harley had gone wide on the exit of the roundabout there could have been another cyclist knocked down. For some reason the dashcam in the work car didn't record it for me, funny coz it recorded plenty of other useless rubbish today.
Video or it didn't happen. 8) :lol: :P (and you did notice those smilies, didn't you).

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:16 pm

AKO, can I ask...What was the 'purpose of riding on an empty stomach'? :-?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm

schroeds wrote:AKO, can I ask...What was the 'purpose of riding on an empty stomach'? :-?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Trying something new to lose a few stubborn kilos. Can't seam to lose the remaining belly fat.
ProLite Cuneo

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am

Just trying to download a video from my puta. It may not work. Just click on the post.Please let me know if it worked. I know it is now degraded. Are videos allowed this way?
These things also depend on computer speed. I am not on U tube as yet.
I am cycling along, and It shows a Ped calmly walking around a bus onto the road disregarding the foot path. I don't know how the car behind me went.

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers