Bike choice for European Holiday

mitzikatzi

Bike choice for European Holiday

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:55 pm

I am considering this holiday.
European Alpine Epics

Away From The Popular

A full suspension All mountain or Trail bike is recommended.
Which bike would you recommend? A $3000 budget. The bike needs to be ridden up hill as well as down.

Mugglechops

Re: Bike choice for European Holiday

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:44 am

Giant Trance.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:24 am

I had been thinking about an Anthem for the bike suitable to my current needs but worry it might not be enough for the trip. Apart from being downhill the trails on the trip seem non technical.
A Trance was in my thinking for the holiday bike but I worry that it might be to much bike for where I live (WA it is pretty flat).
The Trek EX 8 is also in my thinking. Damm that EX 9 is a great price.
Tallboy or Ridley outside budget.
I have noticed a number of heavily reduced Scotts.
Thanks for the links.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:28 am

I'd steer clear of the Anthem for the EU trip. Something with the capability of the Trance would be better...

However, since you are going to Europe why not pick up a very highly rated (and locally unobtainable) Canyon Nerve while you are there? 1600 Euros for the NERVE AL 7.0 with XT and full Fox...120mm travel https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's 29er cousin for an extra 100 https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Only difference between '13 & '14 Trances is in the brakes; '13 has Avid Elixir, '14 has Shimano non-series. While lacking some power of the highly-praised "groupset' brakes, they're still markedly better than the Avids. Giant's Maestro suspension platform is still one of the best on the market. 2x crank may go against it (see next paragraph).

Trek's dual-lockout system has mixed reviews about its ease (or not) of tuning. The triple-ring crank on the front gives a wider, more useable gear spread; sure a lot of people rave about the simpler 2x setup, but have a think about what part of the gear range you use most, 'cos 2x most certainly doesn't work for everyone!

Points against the Norco (at least for me) are Avid brakes and 2x crank, with a ghastly 14T difference between the two rings! That's got gear-hunting written all over it. Lack of dropper seatpost may be a consideration if technical descents are expected.

Of those, I would narrow it down to the '14 Trance & the Trek. Ride both to feel the setup of both cockpit and suspension performance and decide from there.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Does the tour company do hire bikes? ... A lot of people prefer this as there is no transport worries, trash their bike instead of yours etc etc ... If not they should give you an idea of what you will need bike wise.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:15 pm

On Hiring
... Hiring is not particularly cheap...snip.
The riding we will plan is best described as ‘All-Mountain’ riding, and you will need to do a fair bit
of climbing to get the most out of the area, but it is worth it for the descents. We highly
recommend a good quality full-suspension bike, although many people manage perfectly well on
a hardtail. However this is NOT the place for ultra light bling carbon XC racing machines.
Hence the desire to find a bike model that climbs and descends.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:16 am

I'd go the Trance X 29er ... and a roll of CF prepreg and a hair dryer in case you need to make repairs to the top tube in front of the seat post. ;)

SC also make an alloy version of the Tallboy. The new Norcos look good. As far as the 2x front is concerned, I wouldn't be. I have it on my Scalpel and coming from 3x9 on 26" I only lack for gears in the extreme top end on the road. Just make sure you get a 24 for granny.

I was initially concerned about shifting after my experience on the Cannondale test day which was awful. But the LBS persuaded me to try it awhile and its been fine. 14T gap is fine, just like it is in road bikes.

Avid brakes.... yeah not great but you can get XTs for $220 landed and then flog off the Avids.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 am

As for a 5" 29er being too much bike at home... perhaps. I know a few WA guys building 6" travel 26ers and 650b so there is technically demanding riding available in your area if you acquire the taste. I'm too old for that stuff. .. my bones are no longer made of rubber :P

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm

plenty of fun to be had in WA on bikes with 100mm+ travel.

i've got a Stumpjumper - 5" travel - and i have no troubles on the uphills, and even less on the downs. i think i'd be hard-pressed to get something with less travel anymore - the bikes i've had the most fun on out at Kalamunda (and been quickest on) have been my Stumpy, and a Yeti SB-95.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks for the advice,