Riding around Gosford, Terrigal, Copacabanna

silkishuge

Riding around Gosford, Terrigal, Copacabanna

Postby silkishuge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi,
I am visiting the Gosford area for work and I would like to go for morning rides before work commitments. I am living at Copacabanna and will be attending a conference in Terrigal.
Is there a place to pootle around in the morning around Copacabanna. I will also ride to the conference venue via Scenic Highway after my morning pootle. I need to be home for breakfast in between morning ride and riding to conference location.
Conference ends tomorrow, but I will be staying for a few more days with the family. I was planning to go out for longer rides and would be open to suggestions.
One ride I had in mine was to drive to Somersby and ride to Pie in the Sky and back via old Pacific Highway. A ride I used to do when I was living in Hornsby Heights.

I have noticed that the driver around here tend to drive quite fast. Everyone seems to be kind of in a rush. Is riding safe? The local Council seem to be promoting it though

Any help would be great.
FOM stays around the area, but I am not sure if he still post on this website
Thanks
Jon

GAV!N

Re: Riding around Gosford, Terrigal, Copacabanna

Postby GAV!N » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:19 pm

I was up there over Christmas and found it good for riding. Most roads have a good bike lane/verge. Plenty of roads to choose from.

Here's one of the ride's I did - http://www.strava.com/activities/34312127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure there's some locals on here that can give some better tips.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:15 pm

GAV!N wrote:I was up there over Christmas and found it good for riding. Most roads have a good bike lane/verge. Plenty of roads to choose from.

Here's one of the ride's I did - http://www.strava.com/activities/34312127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure there's some locals on here that can give some better tips.
Thanks.
I managed to work out a short 30km route from where we are using part of your route. I might use the full route day after tomorrow.

Jon

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Jon,

sorry I missed you. I'm not on here as often as I used to but still lurk a bit.

Hope you had fun, I would have suggested a quick 'tour de Brisbane Water' but early morning midweek rides up here are a bit hairy. It seems like all the tradies that Sydney cyclists complain about must leave their coastie homes early and quickly to get down there for work. I tend to stick with the old Highway on weekends, just because getting to it (unless you drive to it) is heavy traffic during the week. However it's not too bad around Terrigal - say the Scenic Drive. Or heading up past the Entrance to Norah Head and back isn't too bad if you time it right (avoid Central Coast Highway in peaks)

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Hi Jon,

sorry I missed you. I'm not on here as often as I used to but still lurk a bit.

Hope you had fun, I would have suggested a quick 'tour de Brisbane Water' but early morning midweek rides up here are a bit hairy. It seems like all the tradies that Sydney cyclists complain about must leave their coastie homes early and quickly to get down there for work. I tend to stick with the old Highway on weekends, just because getting to it (unless you drive to it) is heavy traffic during the week. However it's not too bad around Terrigal - say the Scenic Drive. Or heading up past the Entrance to Norah Head and back isn't too bad if you time it right (avoid Central Coast Highway in peaks)

FoM
Thanks FOM,
I did the old Pacific Highway today and riding there was indeed hairy. Tomorrow, I will ride to Hornsby using the old highway via Scenic Rd, Brisbane waters up that nasty hill and try to get to there in one piece.

Last day in Gosford tomorrow before I head back west

Jon