What to spend the bucks on !!!

seddo

What to spend the bucks on !!!

Postby seddo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:38 am

G'day all
newbie with a question
I'm 185cm - 95kgs - 42yrs young - looking for my first bike purchase in 10 years. I have recently lost about 30kgs in weight and part of that was due to spinbiking but nowI want to ride to work(live in the ACT)and ride with the kids when I have weekends off. Iam looking (AT) the following bikes and would like feedback from forumites postive and negative

Scott Sportster P4/P3
Avanti Blade Sport
Avanti Pioneer
Giant Rincon(2nd hand)

cheers
Seddo

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:31 am

The full Deore groupset of the Sportster P3 is worth its extra cost. But that opinion isn't worth much, because I haven't ridden any of them - that's what you have to do.
Even better, get a roadie and come and join the rest of the 'oldies' at the ACT Vets!

seddo

Postby seddo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am

Thanks Pierre - can I still join the vets if I have a flat bar road bike :?:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:31 am

Do yourself a favour and buy drop bars now :D

Seriously, I don't understandt the mania for flat bars, and I have a flat bar bike myself, but many people have them, many people do many miles on them and many people replace their flat bar bike with another flat bar bike.
Pah, all these deluded souls in the world. :cry:

But whatever, I'm sure Peter would appreciate having someone else to chase at the Vet's club. :D

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:35 am

Seriously, I don't understandt the mania for flat bars
Flat bars cost half as much at the low end.
Flat bars are easy to use and understand.
Most people have already ridden bikes with them.

simple.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:20 pm

I'm on the hybrid at the moment until I lose a stack more weight... but the next bike will be drop bars. Hmmmm.... Trek 520.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:23 pm

seddo wrote:Thanks Pierre - can I still join the vets if I have a flat bar road bike :?:
Have a talk to your local vets club, some don't like them because of concern of tangling with another rider.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:06 pm

seddo wrote:Thanks Pierre - can I still join the vets if I have a flat bar road bike :?:
I haven't actually looked to see if the rules say "drop bars only" - it's just that everyone has them. A few people come out with 'cow horn' / aero bars at time-trials, but there's always some time during a ride when you need to get down in the drops anyway.
Long live the drop bar bias!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:08 pm

I have an Avanti Blade Sport and it has served me very well. I found it very comfortable and can handle 110kg :oops:

The only issue for me was that you can't raise the bars - you need to buy a new posty-thing to do it. I found I was leaning forward a little too much so got the numb hand thing a bit, but a good pair of gloves helped this.

I decided not to up the bars as I was only riding it full-time for a year. I have since relegated it to commuting only.

I can't comment on the other bikes you listed, but have a carbon Scott road bike and have been really impressed with the build quality. Who knows if this is model or bike specific, but at least it gives another opinion.

I'm not going to go into parts and all that - I'm sure someone here knows more than I do on this. I just go by how it feels to me!!

Hope this helps.
Moo...

seddo

Postby seddo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:29 pm

put a deposit on thr Sportster P3 - came out the best after a test ride of the three bikes mentioned

cheers
Seddo