Bike Shop for custom road bike builds.

TJS

Bike Shop for custom road bike builds.

Postby TJS » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a reliable bike shop in inner Melbourne that would be willing to build up a road bike from scratch from components and frame that I largely source myself, or transfer over from an existing bike.

Any recommendations?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Bike Shop for custom road bike builds.

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Abbotsford cycles in Richmond or Commuter cycles in Brunswick are both worth a call.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Why not do it yourself?

Assembling a bike is not rocket science and doing it gives you great confidence about being able to work with your bike and carry out routine maintenance. Just get hold of a good guidebook to do it, or go along to The Bikeshed at CERES in Brunswick.

A bike shop that you are not familiar with may be a little unwilling to do such work, when they have not sourced the components or frame. Legal liability issues may deter them.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:46 pm

When ever I go for a ride the number of bikes that I hear making sounds that they shouldn't , makes me wonder how many home grown mechanics there are. Employ some one that knows what he is doing to set the bike up initially. Servicing a bike is something you might be able to do. I totally recommend FUEL in Murrumbeena. The best in Melbourne. I know that other bike shops have used them for special builds. Near a train station for easy access.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 am

I highly recommend Simon Jamison at quality bicycle repairs in Surrey Hills. Not quite inner Melb but easy to get to.
He's put together 2 bikes for me now after I purchased everything online.
Andrew

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:11 am

Which part of town are you in?

TJS

Postby TJS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm in Thornbury.

I'd like to be able to put together a whole build someday. But I suspect it would take me a while to learn, and I'd rather practice on a few cheaper builds before I seriously attempt it. I'm wary of building up myself a bike that I intend to use for long rides in the hills. I don't want mechanical problems when I'm in the middle of long climbs or descents or in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, I'll start looking them up.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 am

+1 Simon at quality bicycle repairs.
However if you are further east. And like the ability to visit after hours try James Maebus on 0418771645.
His list of qualifications is exceptional ...the $100k workshop doesn't hurt either.
He built my madone and tarmac ( see superlight road bike thread) and he's shortly to do my bmc.
The best bit is he is too reasonable on price imo.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP