New NSW Law re. Footpath cycling with child. Now allowed!

thomashouseman

New NSW Law re. Footpath cycling with child. Now allowed!

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:27 pm

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/sessi ... 13-526.pdf

As of 6th Sept. 2013:
Explanatory note
The object of these Rules is to except bicycle riders who are carrying a child under 10 years
old as a passenger (either on the bicycle or in or on a bicycle trailer being towed by the
bicycle) from the offence of riding a bicycle on a footpath.

find_bruce

Re: New NSW Law re. Footpath cycling with child. Now allowed

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Excellent news - it is a law I have frequently broken when towing my little man around.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Good news, but I still can't believe it is an offence to ride on the footpath in the first place. It's legal up here in Queensland, and it makes a big difference for many more casual riders who aren't confident on the roads, or when the roads simply aren't appropriate or safe. I've never seen it cause any problems, though i'm sure there would be someone who could drag up a story that was anti-cycles on the footpath. Yes, you need to ride at appropriate speed and care, but you always do anyway. Personally having grown up with this, I would feel it a massive infringement on my rights if I couldn't ride on the footpath when I needed to.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:11 pm

I believe in some states, and I'm pretty sure I read in SA's rules recently, that their age limit for the child is 12, but the "adult" in control of the bicycle has to be 16 years of age or older.

jaffaman, not anti cycling, but I'm sure there have been incidents where bikes have run in to cars reversing from a drive way. You look at some front yards and there is no way some one reversing out of the drive way can see past the high wooden fence, brick fence, or hedge. In some cases even slowly edging out bonnet first, and I can envisage a bike running in to or being taken out by a car.

There are some cases where I hop the foot path, but usually it's for a combination of my own safety and knowing that it makes everyones life easier, both mine and motorists.
Last edited by briztoon on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Wow, I successfully lobbied for this regulation in Victoria when my son was six years old and he is about to turn 21!
Of course, the first time i let him ride around the block on his own (on the footpath) he was collected by a car coming out of a driveway!

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:31 pm

TraceyG wrote:Wow, I successfully lobbied for this regulation in Victoria when my son was six years old and he is about to turn 21!
Of course, the first time i let him ride around the block on his own (on the footpath) he was collected by a car coming out of a driveway!
I had to reread your first line, after reading the second line. I'm really glad your son is about to turn 21.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Thank you for sharing - while ignorance is no excuse I thought this was already lawful.

To be frank, I can't understand why it would not be allowed and is a fantastic way to accompanying young children who are learning the road rules.
Cycling is in my BNA

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Thank you for sharing - while ignorance is no excuse I thought this was already lawful.

To be frank, I can't understand why it would not be allowed and is a fantastic way to accompanying young children who are learning the road rules.
It was legal to accompany a child up to 12 years old on the footpath, but it wasn't legal to have them on your own bike or be towing them in a trailer whilst on the footpath. Now it is.
NSW Road Rules 2008 Rule 250

Riding on a footpath or shared path
(1) The rider of a bicycle who is 12 years old or older must not ride on a
footpath unless:
(a) if the rider is an adult—the rider is accompanying a child under
12 years of age who is riding on the footpath and the child is
under the rider’s supervision, or
(b) if the rider is not an adult—the rider is under the supervision of
an accompanying adult as referred to in paragraph (a), or
(c) the rider is a postal worker who is riding the bicycle in the course
of his or her duties as a postal worker.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 pm

I should have read it properly. Thanks for the clarification.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 pm

find_bruce wrote:Excellent news - it is a law I have frequently broken when towing my little man around.
I didn't even know it was illegal in the first place. Good to see common sense prevailing.

I can't see why riding on footpaths is illegal - although it must be said, some footpaths are very unsafe for walking, let alone riding.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:21 pm

The footpath cycling rules are essentially an attempt to prevent the race to the bottom - consider your options here. Cyclists can use the footpath, but cannot hope to avoid a car attempting to reverse out of their driveway. Or even driving forwards. Pedestrians have less of an issue here because they simply can't go that fast. I rode into the side of a car in this particular situation about 15 years ago - the law is an ass because the citizenry is a bigger ass, in this instance. :lol: It is easier to require the cyclist onto the road for their commute, than attempt to completely change the infrastructure of every driveway in the nation. I think it would possibly be a better offence if it carried no penalty - but created a clear "chain of responsibility" in a court setting. In civil cases, the criminal law is not even necessary to decide fault.

Either way, this is fantastic news, I'll be sure to let everyone know. It's something that gives me pause on the busier roads when I've had the baby seat.