How often do you ride after work (evening)?

defy1

How often do you ride after work (evening)?

Postby defy1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:24 pm

I want to get some riding done after work, but always can't seem to find the motivation,
Especially since after 5pm it gets pretty dark around this time of year.
Do you guys go riding after a long day at work?

nezumi

Re: How often do you ride after work (evening)?

Postby nezumi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 pm

I ride for at least an hour after work - that's how long it takes to get home.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Never. Get up a 5:30am and get a ride in.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm

As often as I can. Usually for an hour, maybe a bit longer. Unfortunately not as often at the moment, I've had a few injuries and over the weekend I got another cold/virus. Was hot and cold yesterday.. Feeling a bit better today.
defy1 wrote:I want to get some riding done after work, but always can't seem to find the motivation,
Especially since after 5pm it gets pretty dark around this time of year.
Come on, you are soft! :twisted: I did my rides at night even during the middle of winter, sometimes starting at 5:30pm in the evening and getting home around 8:30pm.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Come the summer time, I'll be out riding quite often in the evenings. Hitting the streets around 11pm or midnight is wonderful. I rode along the entire length of Victoria Road at 1am earlier this year, not something you'd easily do in the daytime (if you're sane). I also train in the evenings and race track in the evenings. There's also going to be a summer twilight crit series in Sydney this year.

Evening rides are the way to go.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:46 am

Not often for me, except for occasionally extending the commute home by 15-20min. Evenings are family time, mornings (by getting up extra early) are riding time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:19 am

Never for me. My daily round-trip commute takes up 2.75 hours, leaving me with no free time on week days. My commutes are my recreational rides, anyway.

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 am

I am predominantly a runner and have been out and about every evening for the past two years from 5pm - 6pm. As I'm new to bikes I plane to get out on the bike at least once during the weekdays and lots on the weekends. I have some good storing LED lights attached so darkness isn't an issue.. Less people around actually!

Cheers,
Shane

andione1983

Postby andione1983 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:42 am

My job involves driving to jobs with tools during the week, so my only chance to ride is when I get home. So I'm usually jumping on the bike at 4.30/5.00 pm for an hour... So just as the sun is setting.. And usually I manage 4 nights weekdays and a couple of day rides weekends

Sent from my Galaxy far far away....
Last edited by andione1983 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 am

I try and get out 2-3 times during the week when I get home from work (which is usually around 5pm, or just before).

I tend to get out for a 45min ride so I can be home and showered, ready for dinner at 6pm.

Now the weather is improving and it's not getting dark until 6pm now I might start extending the rides a little and trying to get out for an hour.

I haven't commuted to work for months now (which is 36km each way), but hope to start doing this 1-2 times a week soon.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

reefer

Postby reefer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:14 am

I get out a few times a week after 7pm. 30km loop
I ride a few times a week before 7am. 27km loop
Finally, I also go a few times a week during 10am-3pm, my longer ride. 40-80km loop.
I don’t work, my wife does, so I can go when I like.

Riding at night is easily the most relaxed. The weather is more moderate, I see fewer cars and they seem less aggressive. I have yet to have a near miss at night, something thats a regular event in the mornings and daytime.

Evening / night rides are my favourite :D

Timbo1

Postby Timbo1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 am

I work one month of nights than one month of days which disrupts all kinds of patterns in life. Can suck a fair bit riding home after a twelve hour night shift. But now that its getting warmer during the days I shall be doing more early morning and late afternoon/evening rides. Maybe then I can get rid of these ridiculous tan lines I have. Even have tan lines from wearing gloves. Looks really wierd. :?

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 am

I used to head out semi-regularly for solo late night road rides after the kids were settled and nothing worth watching on TV. Out about 9pm, home about 10pm.

This year I've been doing more regular early morning bunch rides, returning home when the family is getting up, and haven't been out at night at all.

I'd prefer to ride evenings rather than getting up at stupid o'clock in the morning, but I like riding with the bunch. I might have to see if I can create a regular night ride bunch instead.

tim

westab

Postby westab » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:05 am

I ride to work most days (two days this year that mrs westab has dropped me off) so riding home in the evening is a given. After a day at work a ride home is great on the good days and good to get rid of the stress (or other things) on the bad. I will often ride if I am going to Bible study, home from swimming / netball / little a's / soccer if I can as why use extra resources when they are not required - both good for me, the budget, and the earth.

Most of all its fun to ride when I want to - riding to work while I enjoy it is a must as we only have one car that mrs Westab needs to use - riding when the car is available is because I choose to making it even better.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am

Well, I'm a fair weather commuter. If it's fine I commute. I usually start work between 6am and 6:45 am, and finish between 2pm and 3pm. At least twice a week I ride home, dump the back pack and head out for ~50km and am usually home between 5pm and 6pm.

Towards the end of my ride, I ride along the Wynnum and Manly esplanade, a popular cycling road, and then head towards home, and I see many cyclists heading down to the esplanade for an evening ride.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:47 am

Much prefer evening rides. Have dinner with family, read stories to the kids and put them to bed and head out about 9 or so. Roads around Olympic park are empty of cars and other riders so its very peaceful, except for game days. and there's no pressing time to be home as if I had to get to work after a morning ride. Great wind down time

sminns

Postby sminns » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:26 am

I ride from Cronulla to Kurnell every other night from about 830pm after I have some family time. I'd like to ride in the mornings so I'll see how it warms up in summer at about 5am.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:30 am

Too busy in the pm. I get up early and ride before the morons are awake

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm

I commute home in the dark 3 -4 nights a week regardless of the season. It's the jobs i do. No choice whatsoever if i want to ride my bike. Dark or light doesn't worry me one bit.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 pm

cp123 wrote:I commute home in the dark 3 -4 nights a week regardless of the season. It's the jobs i do. No choice whatsoever if i want to ride my bike. Dark or light doesn't worry me one bit.
I know the feeling. For a large chunk of the year, both my commutes are in the dark. The "morning" one is 5 to 6am and the evening one 5:30 to 7pm. At least that one's getting lighter (and even more so when daylight savings starts :D ).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Alll hours rotating shift worker. I recreational ride when the mood takes me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06 pm

For me it's a 35km commute each way - generally twice a week. Through the winter a fair chunk of this was in the dark - it's two sets of lights front and rear for me. Now it's getting warmer and lighter for longer it's much easier.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:42 am

Not now but when I was racing it was morning and afternoon training plus gym four nights of the week and racing 2-3 days of the weekend. You're soft, get out and ride both. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:12 am

foo on patrol wrote:Not now but when I was racing it was morning and afternoon training plus gym four nights of the week and racing 2-3 days of the weekend. You're soft, get out and ride both. :mrgreen:

Foo
How do you race 3 days of a 2 day weekend? :wink:

Anyhow - I'm doing heaps of "junk kilometres" :roll: now each afternoon just as stress relief. :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:49 am

Friday nights, Saturday and Sundays! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km