Mavic Bottom Bracket Chamfer Tool

dv

Mavic Bottom Bracket Chamfer Tool

Postby dv » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Does anyone (preferably Perth - but anywhere) have a bottom bracket chamfer tool they would be willing to hire/lend/trade or sell? Or would they be willing to just chamfer my bottom bracket? I am trying to salvage a Schumacher frame with damaged bottom bracket threads. I bought a mavic bottom bracket - before reading that I need to seat it with an accurate 45 degree beveled edge. I'm a large unit so I'd better do it properly.
I know that you can get velo orange bottom brackets but am told the mavic is better (and I already have it).
Thanks.

spirito

Re: Mavic Bottom Bracket Chamfer Tool

Postby spirito » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Get a file or a dremel out.

Those tools are nice, but I wouldn't despair if nobody local has one. The cup/lockrings will act as a guide ... use a marker pen on the surface you're filing and seat the cup so it shows any high points. It'll take a bit of time but it can be done so long as you're patient.

Btw, did you buy this a few months back?
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

dv

Postby dv » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Yup - did I buy it from you Spirito? (My mailbox was full so I deleted everything). I've finally gotten around to this project and it has stalled already. I did think about the file approach - but I'm not sure my patience and skill level will be up to it and for me a tool with a guide is probably the only way. I had a bit of a search on line and most other such tools are either too small or are for for wood or plastic.
Thanks for the suggestion though......

spirito

Postby spirito » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:34 pm

dv wrote:Yup - did I buy it from you Spirito? (My mailbox was full so I deleted everything). I've finally gotten around to this project and it has stalled already. I did think about the file approach - but I'm not sure my patience and skill level will be up to it and for me a tool with a guide is probably the only way. I had a bit of a search on line and most other such tools are either too small or are for for wood or plastic.
Thanks for the suggestion though......

Yeah, that was probably me. Shame were not closer as I could do this for you in about 20mins. It's just a matter of laying the frame in it's side and working slowly around until you have a nice chamfered (or beveled edge). Most any good machinist, metalworker or tradie could do it fairly quickly. The lockring-cup would act as their guide.
Also insert the cartidge without the lockring's to see if you need to file down any threads on the inside.

Sorry, I don't know anybody with the Mavic chamfering tool. You might perhaps ask bicyclepassion from this forum as he might know someone who does (just guessing).
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

abcxyz

Postby abcxyz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:08 pm

I believe the Schlumpf chamfering tool also does exactly what you are wanting to do and they are much more prevalent then the mavic bb tool.

Here is the Schlumpf manual which says it also chamfers to a 45% angle, check out "Installation" on page "B1".

Edit: Further confirming the previous - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Mavic_B ... amfer_tool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dv

Postby dv » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks
I think I have heard of this tool - and thought the name was a misprint! I'll have a look and see if I can locate one.

fatfixie

Postby fatfixie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 am

Have you tried Aldo (AT) Qantum cycles?

Andy

dv

Postby dv » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Great idea Andy. He fixed a split aluminum frame (at the seat post) for me about 1/2 a year ago and did a terrific job. I have no idea why I did not think of that. I'll call him this afternoon.

dv

Postby dv » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Nope
Drew a blank at Quantum, Cycles Bespoke and Glen Parker. This seems to be a rare tool indeed.
Thanks anyways.......

fatfixie

Postby fatfixie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:25 am

Ideal cycles?

If not I'm sure a good machine shop could help.....

Andy

dv

Postby dv » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Yeah, another good thought. Ideal cycles had a pretty rare campy bottom bracket tool a while back. I have not tried any machine shops yet....Pity I have to work now and again!