Video Camera who uses one?

stretts

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby stretts » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Short ride with Mobius Action Cam 1080p 30fps. Mounted to handlebars, pretty sure the cam is interfering with my garmin 200, gonna have to experiment with placement I think. Pretty great picture for $70, mount is quite good as well.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:24 pm

You're getting a bit of jelly roll in there (not all that bad I will admit), can it do 60fps to overcome that?

stretts

Postby stretts » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:35 pm

scirocco wrote:You're getting a bit of jelly roll in there (not all that bad I will admit), can it do 60fps to overcome that?
It can do 60fps at 720p, will test that out tomorrow see what comes of it - thanks for the advice

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Can i ask about a mount for a rear camera please. I recently got a couple of of the little jumbos and have carved out 2 tic tac boxes as housings for them as per the instructions back on page 1. One I can attach to my lid above my ayups but i'm not sure how to attach it to the rear.

i have no space at all on my seat post as a rear light is barely visible over my tyre (i'm a short wheelbase person). while i have a light under my seat i also have another on the right hand stay as well as on my backpack - so there shouldn't be any SMIDSY excuses. but after Briztoon and Cowled's experiences i'm not so sure... :shock:

is there any mount available - and where can i get it from that could turn a vertical seat stay onto a flat based camera mount. i've been to 3 local bike shops who couldn't help. but what i would like would be a wrap around the seat stay bit of the frame, but have a horizontal or similar platform in the other direction. (I'm not sure i'm explaining this right) but that i could dual lock the rear camera onto. ie i need something to hold a camera horizontally but can wrap vertically around the seat stay. does anyone have anything suitable? i've looked at a couple of helmet mounts that can velcro onto a lid, and while they're good as the holding platform, i can't work out which mount would be suitable to hold it to a mount round the stay.

thanks all.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:52 pm

cp123 wrote:Can i ask about a mount for a rear camera please. I recently got a couple of of the little jumbos and have carved out 2 tic tac boxes as housings for them as per the instructions back on page 1. One I can attach to my lid above my ayups but i'm not sure how to attach it to the rear.
I mount my jumbo on my seat stay like this, but a similar method could be used for the seat post also:
Take 1 x computer PCI card blank slot thingy
Bend it somewhere near the middle after planning how you're going to lay everything out
Bend a short small hook at the top (usually just by bending over the top of the slot thingy
2 cable ties attach it - one cable tie goes through the hook at the top and around the bottom of your seat post, the other around the seat stay
Dual lock to attach camera

Works a treat. Lets you get your rear wheel in the view. Has starred on Channel 7 :wink:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm

sorry in the woods - i don't get it... :oops: are you able to post a picture of yours?

i'm technologically and computerly incontinent.... i'm sure it works but maybe i'm just thick.

ps - i edited the other post for you on the MM thread. (I couldn't work out how to undo the quote thing either... :roll: ). hope that was okay. :)

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:11 pm

cp123 wrote:sorry in the woods - i don't get it... :oops: are you able to post a picture of yours?

i'm technologically and computerly incontinent.... i'm sure it works but maybe i'm just thick.

ps - i edited the other post for you on the MM thread. (I couldn't work out how to undo the quote thing either... :roll: ). hope that was okay. :)
Will post a pic tonight if that's ok.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:26 pm

cp123 wrote:Can i ask about a mount for a rear camera please. I recently got a couple of of the little jumbos and have carved out 2 tic tac boxes as housings for them as per the instructions back on page 1. One I can attach to my lid above my ayups but i'm not sure how to attach it to the rear.

i have no space at all on my seat post as a rear light is barely visible over my tyre (i'm a short wheelbase person). while i have a light under my seat i also have another on the right hand stay as well as on my backpack - so there shouldn't be any SMIDSY excuses. but after Briztoon and Cowled's experiences i'm not so sure... :shock:

is there any mount available - and where can i get it from that could turn a vertical seat stay onto a flat based camera mount. i've been to 3 local bike shops who couldn't help. but what i would like would be a wrap around the seat stay bit of the frame, but have a horizontal or similar platform in the other direction. (I'm not sure i'm explaining this right) but that i could dual lock the rear camera onto. ie i need something to hold a camera horizontally but can wrap vertically around the seat stay. does anyone have anything suitable? i've looked at a couple of helmet mounts that can velcro onto a lid, and while they're good as the holding platform, i can't work out which mount would be suitable to hold it to a mount round the stay.

thanks all.
Here's mine (plugged into the charger)

The mount is one of these:
View item

combined with a bracket from a dead headlight which I simply cut off the excess to leave a flat surface.

I used the supplied velcro to attach it but in retrospect I could have simply glued it straight onto the bracket, since I always remove the bracket when I take it off the mount. I have some footage in the Heavy Tandem thread in road racing.

Cheers,

Cameron

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Go Pro Hero 3 Black edition $388 at Dick Smith. Don't know if it's online only or for how long but that's the cheapest price I can recall seeing locally if anyone's after one.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:38 pm

cp123 wrote:sorry in the woods - i don't get it... :oops: are you able to post a picture of yours?

Here you go.

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:15 am

Sony have announced a new version of their action cam, the AS30V which has appears to have a few tweaks and adds GPS:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/09/sony- ... lt-in-gps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:46 am

ironhanglider wrote:Here's mine (plugged into the charger)

The mount is one of these:
View item

combined with a bracket from a dead headlight which I simply cut off the excess to leave a flat surface.

I used the supplied velcro to attach it but in retrospect I could have simply glued it straight onto the bracket, since I always remove the bracket when I take it off the mount. I have some footage in the Heavy Tandem thread in road racing.
Noobie question here: How do you attach that mount to the hub? Does it involve tools?

(If it is easy I am sold as it is the same colour as my bike. :lol: )

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 am

No tools. If I am thinking right the nut end of the quick release goes inside the light bracket as it's a cylinder with a wide opening at the light end. The narrow end of the cylinder then gets screwed up tight to the outside of the dropout.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 am

If you have a look at the pics on ebay, the end is threaded so I believe it replaces the skewer nut.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:38 pm

apsilon wrote:If you have a look at the pics on ebay, the end is threaded so I believe it replaces the skewer nut.
Yes, it is a replacement skewer nut. It is a similar diameter to a handlebar.

Cheers,

Cameron

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Looking to get a camera for myself too.

Like the look of the above...Sj1000

Or, I can get a new in box Contour Roam with bike mount kit for $185 delivered.

Is it worth the extra money or should I just get SJ1000....Thoughts,
I bought the SJ1000, arrived yesterday, took it out on the bike today.
Camera is excellent, video very clear, BUT, the provided bike mount is not fit for purpose.
very hard to tighten all the parts so there is far too much vibration for the video to be useable.
Mid-ride I tried to re-tighten everything to stop the camera changing position and hopefully stop the vibration, the end result is that the bracket snapped.

Unlike the review on Techmoan mine arrived in a a box and the waterproof housing has buttons where they should be.

Now going to mount the camera on my home made wooden mount copied from GraemeL's design.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

fingy

Postby fingy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:38 pm

DIY waterproof 808 container vid from RC Groups

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:57 am

Given some of the stuff that has been going on lately, I'm now considering getting myself setup with a cam.

I must admit that I'm not keen on the mega size (and cost) of getting a couple of GoPro setups, but the Mobius version that has been mentioned before may be suitable (size & budget).

Given that many of my rides are at night, is there an easy way to get decent pics as per Timeonabike's posting on the last page ?

Are there any cigar shaped setups that are useable ?

Thanks in advance

:D

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi MichaelB,

It's fairly simple to make your Mobius IR sensitive etc. The challenge will be the sexy waterproof package, but hey summer is coming in Perth so no rain for the next 9 months.
You can buy a ready made camera like this in the US, but for whatever reason you can't import them to AU - they're used mostly by shooters I think, so something to do with that I spose.

What I've done are to firstly remove the IR cut filter from the camera, which stops IR coming in and making the video all funny coloured, and then fit a visual light cut filter to block the effects of car headlights (old floppy disc innards will do this). Then you'll need to shine an IR illuminator at the thing you're looking at (plenty of cheap IR flashlights around - I used something a bit different, more like the ones people use for security cameras, but this is the first iteration - I believe 850 nm is the wavelength to go for). This all combines to allow IR into the camera, block the rampant visual spectrum from washing out the image, and then reflects IR off the number plate so it can be seen.

The steps below will make more sense when you see the rc groups pics:
1) Open the thing up
2) Mark the present location of the lens so you can screw it back in to the same or similar spot
3) Unscrew the grub screw (note the grub screw is tiny and soft, so easy to strip out the hex socket - be careful, use watchmaker like strength here)
4) Unscrew the lens all the way out - I counted around 13 turns to get mine out - you'll need to lift it off the board slightly to allow the lens to be fully unscrewed
5) The lens assembly that you know have in your hand has a tiny bluish glass filter at the end of it (the internal end of it so to speak) - this is the IR cut filter - get this off and now your camera will get all the IR that's coming to it. I had to smash mine to remove, you may be more proficient than I
6) Put it back in, reassemble and now your camera will pick up IR.
7) This is the shameful bit - sticky tape your floppy disc innards over the lens - that'll keep out most of the visible spectrum - obviously it's the first iteration, so in the future I'll replace the IR cut filter with a bit of the floppy disc before it's reassembled.

What you end up with is pretty much useless for regular footage, but at the price of the mobius cameras, you can get two and keep one normal. Anyone want to buy a shipping container full of em?

There's some excellent stuff on the RC Groups forum showing how to pull these things apart, so it's less scary than it sounds once you see the pics.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I modify the next one, I'll put some pics up.

Cheers

Time

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks Time, but that is waaaaay to much stuffing around for me.

Might have to either make do or try something different !!

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Just picked up a new Silver Go Pro with extra battery incl
32gb mini card, plus another battery for my first rear go pro from Camzilla
$456 delivered.

They are doing a free spare battery at the moment. Seems like a decent price and finally bit the bullet and ordered my second
Camera after all the kerfuffling going on at the moment!

dentalfloss

Postby dentalfloss » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:05 am

Aushiker wrote:Taken the plunge and placed an order this morning with Highly Tuned Athletes for the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and the GoPro HERO3 Battery BacPac. All up $464.00 delivered with local warranty. Cannot complain about that.

Now to get a new 32 GB class 10 card and k-Edge GoPro Go Big handlebar mount.

Regards
Andrew
Been considering the same setup for the front.
Hero3 black - $389 (e bay)
BacPac battery - $79 (e bay)
32GB microsd - $51 (local)
K-Edge Big mount - $69 (degrandi)

So the best part of $600 is it worth it? Last ride was on the bike 4 hours and so far seems even the bacpac won't be enough for battery time. Would I need to carry another spare battery and swap after about 3 hours? Then charge two batteries after every ride?

Anyone know if it would be possible to connect the hero3 to a dynamo hub charger?

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 am

InTheWoods wrote:Here you go.
Pictures removed for thread flow!
Genius, nice use of a the gutter support for the mount. It is one of those right?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:26 am

Wakatuki wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Here you go.
Pictures removed for thread flow!
Genius, nice use of a the gutter support for the mount. It is one of those right?
No its just the thing you get out of a PC when you install another PCI card - its just the "blank" that goes there.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 am

So I'm buying a Contour Roam 2 for my helmet/handle bar, and I'm looking for a camera I can mount on my seat post. I'm considering a MD80 Mini DV. Does anyone know if it comes with any mounts suitable for a seat post or is it easy to jerry rig a mount?