Moron Motorists #3

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Biffidus wrote:I dislike the victim blaming attitude that this statement implies. It makes me think that they, or perhaps their audience, expect the cyclist to be running red lights, claiming a lane or clashing with drivers; and that this somehow makes the drivers actions less abhorrent.
Actually no Biff, it was just that in this case Darren Curtis was as keen as we were to ensure the bogan brigade were stopped in their tracks before they could start whining. The points made weren't to highlight that a cyclist was riding legally "for a change". I know what you nean, but this wasn't the case here. I owe Darren a beer for the amazing effort that went into this and the sensitivity with which he conducted himself and habdled Craig. He even sent a news crew to Cararra on the GC when I couldnt get the truck back to Brissy in time to meet up with him. Above and beyond...
That explains a lot. Sucks that it has to be that way. :(

Incidentally Dave, the work clobber is a great idea. Makes you look like one of them. Can you do your next piece through the window of a worked Commodore in the middle of a cloud of donut smoke? :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Mulger bill wrote: Incidentally Dave, the work clobber is a great idea. Makes you look like one of them. Can you do your next piece through the window of a worked Commodore in the middle of a cloud of donut smoke? :wink:
and a durrie hanging out of your mouth

mick243

Postby mick243 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Mulger bill wrote:My emphasis...
mick243 wrote:I I asked for an example where deliberately breaking the law like speeding etc made it safer for all concerned.
mick243 wrote:Please show how making a considered decision to ignore a speed limit (or red light, stop sign, no parking, whatever) makes anything safer for all concerned.
If you want specific responses, pose specific questions. etc and whatever are pretty much as non specific as it gets... Opinion
mick243 wrote:You think drivers should be able to make decisions about following road laws - ask RIchard Pollett how he feels about that. There is a driver who made a decision about what he felt was safe. That decision cost a fellow human and cyclist his life. All to save a few minutes.
I think ALL road users should be not only able but encouraged to make considered decisions before all actions regardless of what the law says. That steaming pile did not give a rats.
I'd give my starb'd bollock to be able to ask Mr Pollett anything, anything at all. :cry:
Do not attempt to twist my words or indeed try to insert obscenities into my mouth to suit your agenda.

Oh, and Scarfy, I'm fully aware that the law is the law, I work in rail safety and the laws and rules I have to follow at work make the road rules look like the instructions to a game of tiddly winks. Had plod been about I doubt I would have acted that way, that's part of the whole "Considered decision" process as well as whether my actions will contravene /B.
Had I not noticed plod and been pinged I would've put me hand up and paid the fine. You win it, you wear it.
taken to another thread under safety and advocacy

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: Incidentally Dave, the work clobber is a great idea. Makes you look like one of them. Can you do your next piece through the window of a worked Commodore in the middle of a cloud of donut smoke? :wink:
and a durrie hanging out of your mouth
I'd just finished one before the news crew pulled up.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Here's a good news video for once. A wet road, a roundabout and a ute driver who gave us room to get through. As he went through he fishtailed a little on the exit so very thankful for the space given.

My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm

TailWind wrote:Another one for me too, sigh.
I'm riding in the bike lane down Plenty Rd towards Uni Hill on Friday afternoon, both rear and front blinkies blazing away, and wearing a a bright yellow spray jacket with reflective piping.
A white Ford passes in the far right lane, and as he approaches stopped traffic at Childs Road, decides to cut across all the way left into the bike lane to make a left there, almost cleaning me up in the process.

Just a few hundred meters back, a P-Plater passenger had yelled some abuse out of his open window, so hence my slowing down in the video to have a word (he'd hurriedly wound up his window) before chasing after the Ford.
The dude in the Ford apologised at least, but still....

She Who Must Be Obeyed noticed me watching your clip - her initial reaction (ie before the ford) was how quick you were getting along - must be used to seeing videos of me riding slowly :oops:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:22 pm

find_bruce wrote:She Who Must Be Obeyed noticed me watching your clip - her initial reaction (ie before the ford) was how quick you were getting along - must be used to
seeing videos of me riding slowly :oops:
just tell her it's due the wide angle lens

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:25 am

darkelf921 wrote:Here's a good news video for once. A wet road, a roundabout and a ute driver who gave us room to get through. As he went through he fishtailed a little on the exit so very thankful for the space given.

Sounds like he is saying no bikes on the the roundabout please!
I have to add that on my downhill journey from Montville the most common close shaves come from upwardly climbing motorbikes VERY much on the wrong side of the road doing apex clipping and of course power platers, but you can normally hear those revving as they head up the hill.

I will not be attempting to improve my downhill PB on that road now it's open, too risky. Shame I didn't have a cam, could have started a thread on dumb bush turkeys! Twice the buggers nearly took me out.
Cool runnings everyone, stay safe.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:06 am

Queensland Rail vehicle (it was a car, not a train) left-hooking the cyclist in front of me this morning riding through Roma St Parklands. Driver obviously couldn't wait 10 seconds.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 am

jasonc wrote:Queensland Rail vehicle (it was a car, not a train) left-hooking the cyclist in front of me this morning riding through Roma St Parklands. Driver obviously couldn't wait 10 seconds.
On camera? I'm sure a Qld Rail car is consider a workplace...
2010 BMC SLC01

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 am

hannos wrote:
jasonc wrote:Queensland Rail vehicle (it was a car, not a train) left-hooking the cyclist in front of me this morning riding through Roma St Parklands. Driver obviously couldn't wait 10 seconds.
no camera unfortunately

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 am

hannos wrote:
It is and if they're as hard on their people as we are in Vic, a complaint with plate, location and time details should lead to an uncomfortable session on the carpet...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 am

Saw a 'Vision Australia' driver run a red light.
Yelled out "Are you Blind!!"
Ooops

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 am

Percrime wrote:Saw a 'Vision Australia' driver run a red light.
Yelled out "Are you Blind!!"
Ooops
Rofl

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 am

By car I assume you don't mean carriage?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Ok here's an interesting one for all the right reasons.

50kmh 1 lane each way road, with a shoulder type BAZ (with parked cars coming up, dooring zone etc), oncoming traffic. I was riding about 5-20cm inside the road lane at about 35kmh. A truck comes up behind me and toots its horn twice, I *think* to say move out of the way because at that moment the BAZ was empty, but swerving in and out of the baz for every parked car is a bad idea cos you just get taken out by whatever the next vehicle is... Anyway, not wanting to shift into the BAZ for this reason, and not willing to share this lane with what may have been an impatient truck driver, I claimed the lane for the next 100 meters. There were no other issues. Keep in mind there was a red light with queued traffic directly ahead, we both ended up spending 3 minutes queued there (otherwise I may have chosen to make space and put up with having to give way when leaving the baz again). Truck driver and passenger didn't seem willing to communicate when they were stopped behind me and I turned around and said "What?" with upturned hands. Perhaps the beeps were in appreciation of my hairy legs :)

The truck belongs to a very well known Brisbane removalist company, so I dropped them a short email saying what happened and explaining why I was riding where I was and why it is legal and safe to do so, and asked if they could just explain it to the driver. (This is more of a "preventative maintenance" measure)

Lo and behold an hour later I get a very nice phone call saying that the drivers will get explained to, the lady from the company was very understanding, and wanted a copy of my video so they can use it as an example for training and show the drivers (except I'm not sure its worth it, its pretty boring video). I hope they go easy on the driver. I kind of want to name the company for their excellent response but am not sure if this makes it better or worse for them. If only all companies had that type of response... Anyway, next time I move they'll be at the top of my list.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:32 pm

me: turning right out of Gipps St into Hoddle St on the w/end, i almost turned across some cyclists. the car in front of me turned - probably a bit close for comfort but before the cyclists entered the intersection - and i went to follow. my wife yelled 'look out - cyclists!' i reckon i'd have seen them before i completed the turn, but they were obscured behind the turning car in front of me (my wife in passenger seat had a better angle) and the shadowy background of the road from whence they came - with heavy tree coverage. no excuse, but i was surprised at how difficult they were to spot as i was paying full attention. something to keep in mind.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:05 pm

jules21 wrote:me: turning right out of Gipps St into Hoddle St on the w/end, i almost turned across some cyclists. the car in front of me turned - probably a bit close for comfort but before the cyclists entered the intersection - and i went to follow. my wife yelled 'look out - cyclists!' i reckon i'd have seen them before i completed the turn, but they were obscured behind the turning car in front of me (my wife in passenger seat had a better angle) and the shadowy background of the road from whence they came - with heavy tree coverage. no excuse, but i was surprised at how difficult they were to spot as i was paying full attention. something to keep in mind.
That's not my favourite intersection, but unfortunately it's part of my most direct route to Yarra Blvd on my commute home. I've had the same issue at the Gipps / Nicholson intersection. I just wish there were more motorists like yourself who also cycle and so are aware of cyclists :) .

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 pm

VRE wrote:That's not my favourite intersection, but unfortunately it's part of my most direct route to Yarra Blvd on my commute home. I've had the same issue at the Gipps / Nicholson intersection. I just wish there were more motorists like yourself who also cycle and so are aware of cyclists :) .
i doubt those cyclists were thinking that ;)

K2

Postby K2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 am

jules21 wrote:.....but they were obscured behind the turning car in front of me (my wife in passenger seat had a better angle) and the shadowy background of the road from whence they came - with heavy tree coverage. no excuse, but i was surprised at how difficult they were to spot as i was paying full attention. something to keep in mind.
The road around the local park I do laps at is a kind of triangulated 900m oval, most of which is visible from anywhere else. I regularly scan around to keep an eye on what's moving trafficwise. Trying to locate a guy in full BMC kit in the early afternoon as he passed through the shaded parts on the far side was ridiculously difficult given that my eyesight is great, I knew approximately where he would be, and he was a predominantly red larger chap who I was specifically seeking!

You don't have to be sporting a ghillie suit to disappear with barely a trace. Shade/shadows and that strobing effect they sometimes create can play havoc.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:24 pm

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:She Who Must Be Obeyed noticed me watching your clip - her initial reaction (ie before the ford) was how quick you were getting along - must be used to
seeing videos of me riding slowly :oops:
just tell her it's due the wide angle lens
Correct - wide angle, plus this is on a 2km long downhill stretch, generally the fastest section between my place and the city, usually around 45 km/h.
(This bit sucks going the other way, i.e. home, esp. if there's a northerly blowing - I'll be doing half the speed then)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I forgot to post this but this is from last month. I think this is in the correct thread :P

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I forgot to post this but this is from last month. I think this is in the correct thread :P

Where in Brisbane is that? looks like a nice track.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Kedron Brook Cycleway.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I forgot to post this but this is from last month. I think this is in the correct thread :P

That reminds me. I had one of those riding in the opposite direction to me on the MYT shared path beside the Eastern Freeway on Wednesday afternoon. Electric too so made no noise.