New Sydney Cycleways approved

matt_h1

New Sydney Cycleways approved

Postby matt_h1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Looks like the NSW govt finally got around to introducing their new Sydney City transport plan (Pedestrian access in the CBD, Light Rail, Cycleways), http://smh.drive.com.au/roads-and-traff ... 2tjed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a decent win for Cyclists,
Dotted lines represent still "Under Planning" while solid lines are "Approved", of particular note is that this is for dedicated cycleways only, and Pyrmont bridge is covered by a solid green line, with any luck this means we're getting a real bike path!

We will now be able to go East-West and North-South without leaving a bike lane which is a great win.

find_bruce

Re: New Sydney Cycleways approved

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Call me cynical, but I am suspicious about the absence of timeframes
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:11 pm

If it happens will be great, fills in the gap totally from the current end of king street to the workplace car park. What chance timeframe is for right after the next election?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Cough, politics, cough.. I posted it elsewhere but deleted the post as political discussion isn't allowed, and this was borderline.

I hope this will happen - but there is more to do, especially to link the western Sydney ones to the city ones and stop cars from parking in bicycle lanes.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 pm

They need to get rid of cars so there's enough room for the backflips they're doing. It seems that the government can (a) read reports on the economic impact of cycling/walking/PT, and (b) do maths. It's an absolute no brainer; there are simply no more reason why it shouldn't happen, so it will ... finally.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:40 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:. It's an absolute no brainer; there are simply no more reason why it shouldn't happen, so it will ... finally.
Buddy you have a tenuous grasp of the machinations of politics :-?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

TTar

Postby TTar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:08 pm

What's happened to the College st path? Two broken lines, what's that mean?

A Park/William sts path sounds positively frightful, but Castlereagh could be beaut.

I agree with that Westie firebrand, g-boaf, though, a link to Parra should be a higher priority.
Sent from my fortified compound

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Yeah, this is just window-dressing, albeit it useful.

Hey TTar, I think I saw your replies on SMH article. Pretty sure it must have been you. 8) Good replies! :)

This is the only time I've ever been called a firebrand! Quite like that. :lol:

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

In my own world of Utopia, where this will happen in my lifetime...
That helps in my route home in that I have a bike lane all the way down Castlereagh, instead of having to sit in the middle of the bus lane..

TTar

Postby TTar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:57 pm

TTar wrote:What's happened to the College st path? Two broken lines, what's that mean?

Why don't you read the friggin article that the OP has been gracious enough to include here, you lazy ****!?

TTar

Postby TTar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 pm

TTar wrote:
TTar wrote:What's happened to the College st path? Two broken lines, what's that mean?

Why don't you read the friggin article that the OP has been gracious enough to include here, you lazy ****!?
Awright, awright... Sheesh, whatever happened to civility around here. Moderators; I'd keep an eye on this poster; sounds problematic.

As for the College st closure, no great loss, I reckon. It was never a "sensible" route and anyway, making a short cut through Hyde Park has always been a more pleasant diversion.
g-boaf wrote:
Hey TTar, I think I saw your replies on SMH article. Pretty sure it must have been you. 8) Good replies! :)
Not me, so the replies can't have been that good. :) I'll check 'em out, though,

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 pm

You gone schizophrenic, TTar?

TTar

Postby TTar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Xplora wrote:You gone schizophrenic, TTar?
I've ridden just 10ks in the past week, so I'm feeling a little twitchy. :x

It's so bad that I'm looking to pick a fight, but everyone around here is so kindhearted, polite and attractive :roll: that it wouldn't be right to take it out youse, so I take it out my myself.

And if you're familiar with my posts you'll know what an irritating ignoramus I can be.

See!? Who wouldn't want to pick a fight with that!? :evil:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:26 pm

TTar wrote:what an irritating ignoramus...
See!? Who wouldn't want to pick a fight with that!? :evil:
It'z Fytin TARM!!!! :x

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Wish they would link up the Gore Hill cycleway with the Harbour Bridge.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:02 pm

I wish they'd fix the lights instead of prioritising cyclists last. As much as it irritates me to see it, I understand why most cyclists disregard the bike lane red when the cars are getting a green.

If they changed the lights so the cars had a flashing yellow turn arrow for the second half of a bike lane green that ran as long as the through traffic car green, I think it would work much better for all.

At the moment, with the lights running the way they do it's faster to go down Hickson Road.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 am

dbl post
Last edited by tubby74 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:34 am

trailgumby wrote: If they changed the lights so the cars had a flashing yellow turn arrow for the second half of a bike lane green that ran as long as the through traffic car green, I think it would work much better for all.
agreeing on the light phasing but I don't think a pelican crossing type system would work well. Car sees the flashing light to turn, but does not see the cyclist doing 30-40km/h coming from behind on his left. it's bad enough when they have a red arrow and think the place to wait is halfway through the turn.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:10 am

Hope the Cahill Expressway cycleway doesn't simply involve declaring the existing pathway a cycleway. To promote it as a cycleway would be silly since it's very narrow and a lot of pedestrians and runners use it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Rode across Pyrmont Bridge today for the first time in ages. The narrow path alongside the King St off ramp now has painted signs on the footpath saying something like "advisory speed limit 10 km/h cyclists give way" - seems it has come about by a recent resolution of Sydney City Council.

At least they don't pretend to be speed limit signs unlike the Sydney Harbour Foreshore signs on the bridge proper.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:35 am

Just in case you thought there had been a change of transport priorities, normal programming has now been resumed, with yet another motorway to cure congestion

Of course there does not seem to be any explanation how feeding a four lane road into a three lane tunnel into a two lane road is going to help traffic flow :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 am

I suggested in a reply to SMH's article on the motorway tunnels that it shouldn't be built until motorists stop running red lights and breaking the law. :twisted:

Twisting the usual anti-cyclist argument in a different manner.

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:07 pm

A bike lane on Pyrmont Bridge - how ovedue is that? Those wand wavers are a complete woftam.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:14 pm

SentryBox wrote:A bike lane on Pyrmont Bridge - how ovedue is that? Those wand wavers are a complete woftam.
I dunno - how do you stop the wandering tourists, the picture takers, the little kids, the texters from walking through any marked bike lane, completely oblivious ... unless you fence it off?

... or maybe use those monorail pylons for an express bike lane ...
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Valid point, but it couldn't be any worse than not having a bike lane at all - people ride all over the place atm.