Best tyres for commuting?

warthog1

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 pm

jasonc wrote: i think of it as extra weight training - when I go onto my roadie, it feels and go like a rocket ship
I like that feeling also, the roadie is going to feel extra nimble and fast :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 pm

That's my reasoning by starting to commute with this one, if some is good, more must be great =D

PS: If you want comfort in the bars without dropping time in the powertrain, I've tried keeping skinny/light rear e.g. Kojak with bigger front e.g. Marathon Plus or Big Apples and get all the responsive spin up feel of the skinny rear without the high pressure vibrations through the controls. It's like feeling up Gwyneth Paltrow while really being cushioned by the cuddly one in Shallow Hal ;)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am

had my first puncture on a marathon plus on tuesday night. it was the rear tyre with a 1" nail
i obviously hit it at the right angle and it went all the way in

still happy with them

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 am

jasonc wrote:had my first puncture on a marathon plus on tuesday night. it was the rear tyre with a 1" nail

still happy with them
Can't complain about that. I'm still going to put one on the front as funds allow.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:43 am

warthog1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:had my first puncture on a marathon plus on tuesday night. it was the rear tyre with a 1" nail

still happy with them
Can't complain about that. I'm still going to put one on the front as funds allow.
the front, puncture free has almost 11000kms on it.

CW83

Postby CW83 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 am

Just a quick vote for Continental 4-Seasons 28mm.

I weigh c.80kg, I've ridden 4-Seasons on all types of roads and bike tracks, in all weather, night and day, for between 200 and 400km a week for c.2 years. I have only had ONE puncture in that time—that was in the first 40km after a truck going in the opposite direction sent a 4cm diameter rock across the road at considerable speed and into the side of my front wheel. The tube exploded. The tyre wasn't damaged.

I moved the front tyre to the rear, got rid of the old rear, and put a new one on the front about 6 weeks ago. That was precautionary, I reckon I could have gone another few months on the rear tyre.

These tyres are considerably quicker than most purpose designed commuter tyres. They work for me, they may work for you.
This is a gratuitous and hard to read sentence that gets added to the end of my posts.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:58 pm

You seriously got 10000-20000km out of a back tyre :shock:

The things must be made of granite.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:27 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:You seriously got 10000-20000km out of a back tyre :shock:

The things must be made of granite.
the marathon plus tyre gave me around 8200kms on the rear before i got sick of the poor handling (it was very square)

CW83

Postby CW83 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 am

SSS: you're right, my bad: confused, over-excited, and exaggerated. More like 18 months and with weeks off here and there when o/s or i/state. Call it half that. And the back tyre was near square, but with no threads showing.
This is a gratuitous and hard to read sentence that gets added to the end of my posts.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

jasonc wrote:the marathon plus tyre gave me around 8200kms on the rear before i got sick of the poor handling (it was very square)
If you want to extend the handling life, put it in a trainer with someone pedaling, and belt sander to shave off the squares to get it turning into corners good as new =D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

eldavo wrote:
jasonc wrote:the marathon plus tyre gave me around 8200kms on the rear before i got sick of the poor handling (it was very square)
If you want to extend the handling life, put it in a trainer with someone pedaling, and belt sander to shave off the squares to get it turning into corners good as new =D
I'm eyeing off my angle grinder right now :lol:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 pm

If it's in a steel frame with horizontal dropouts you can also get some resistance training by setting it to rub inside the chainstays =D
On the fat bike chain clearance is tight so you can almost get it done chainsaw style =D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
eldavo wrote:
I'm eyeing off my angle grinder right now :lol:
i think i kept my old tyre too....

holmesy

Postby holmesy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 pm

My tyre popped today on its 3rd ride- with a bang as well.

So I am about to order an inner tube, but thinking ahead if this Specialized Roubaix Pro tyres develop a habit of making my inner tube go bang and as such I go marathons or something, does it matter what inner tube I order now? Is there a preferred inner tube, should I go with a specialized similar to what I have now or something else? I want them to be compatible with the current tyre(you only get one more chance roubaix pros!) and possibly the marathons

What's the good oil on 25/28c inner tubes?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 pm

holmesy wrote:What's the good oil on 25/28c inner tubes?
These hold air well and are 18-28 so you can use them on most 700C tyre sizes. This should help to reduce the number of tubes types you have to keep.
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod26727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:44 pm

holmesy wrote:My tyre popped today on its 3rd ride- with a bang as well.

So I am about to order an inner tube, but thinking ahead if this Specialized Roubaix Pro tyres develop a habit of making my inner tube go bang and as such I go marathons or something, does it matter what inner tube I order now? Is there a preferred inner tube, should I go with a specialized similar to what I have now or something else? I want them to be compatible with the current tyre(you only get one more chance roubaix pros!) and possibly the marathons

What's the good oil on 25/28c inner tubes?

There was a good response in the other thread about why the inner tube went pop very loudly. Apparently the big bang is a result of the inner tube being pinched by the tyre and not from a puncture. Don't be so quick to change your tyre. I use Specialized ALL CONDITION ARMADILLO ELITE tyres, they're supposed to be bomb proof. I've just had to replace the front tyre after two years of hard use. Still have the back one on the bike, but will be changing it soon.

holmesy

Postby holmesy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:04 am

Yep saw that response after I posted in this one. That makes me feel better about my tyres, I was giving them ONE more chance anyway- do you hear that tyres!

new post: I'm a bit confused on my tyres being 25/28 and what inner tube to get. I'm trying to combine an online with a decent pump (and cell seems to be cheapest for me - unless I go another brand besides the recommended lezyne). A lot of tubes are up to 25, or 25 - 30 something. If my specialized tyres say they are 25/28's, this seems to be straddling two common sizes. Am i better off going the smaller to 25, or the larger greater than 25?

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 am

I just ordered another set of Marathon Pluses from Evans. I've used nothing else since they were first recommended to me in this thread back in June 2009, i.e. over four years ago.

Only one puncture in all that time which I thought at the time was a faulty tube. Of course I've been through a few sets of tyres in that time, but no other issues whatsoever.

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm

I use Gatorskins on my daily commuter. The back tyre gets between 5000-6000km. The front never wears out. Inevitabley, it gets damaged and needs replacing.

These still got way too punctures. I guess one every three or four weeks.

Then I added Mr Tuffys. This has reduced my puntures to a couple a year. On dirty roads, I cant recommend them highly enough.

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Mr Tuffy's UltraLite Tyre Liners ordered.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Lurkin wrote:Mr Tuffy's UltraLite Tyre Liners ordered.
Used them for a few thousand km while on 23mm tires then found that they started cutting the tube so stopped.

Recently switched to 25mm and used them again. Now I don't know if its just in my head. But I found the ride to be noticeably harsher with them in... Plus they cut up a tube or two so have ripped them out again. Also found they were a bit more fiddly when changing tubes on the side of the road.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Lurkin wrote:Mr Tuffy's UltraLite Tyre Liners ordered.
I think they are rubbish. I just use wider tyres and run lower pressures. If I get a puncture its no biggy. It only takes 5min to get back underway. Life's to short to ride crap tyres.

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Used to think the same... seems fair to give them a go first, then judge them.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Just out of idle curiosity I tried to see if a 700c X 23mm tyre would fit inside a 26 inch tyre. Surprisingly it seems to neatly fit. I haven’t tried it on a wheel with a tube as yet but as a tyre liner it would have to be nearly as good as it gets, of course it won’t be light.

I have several ordinary 26 inch tyres and several ordinary 700c tyres so perhaps I can get a reasonable commuting set of tyres out of the combination.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:14 pm

got in trouble last week after my rear tyre looked like this:

6400+kms, 1 puncture. new one now installed.