Cyclocross + backpack versus tourer

visrealm

Re: Cyclocross + backpack versus tourer

Postby visrealm » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:51 pm

holmesy wrote: (Or I might take this opportunity to get a carridice bag with a seat stem attachement - but I am worried about attaching this to a the carbon seat post)
I had an opportunity to get a seat post bag from a friend however decided not to for that reason too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 am

visrealm wrote: Sorry for the tardy reply. I'm using a disc - specific Topeak rack. http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/Ex ... dsc_spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; got it from Cell.

Troy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Ahh thanks, yeah I looked at the Topeak but didn't like the seat stay mounts and top track. It might end up being a neater option though..
holmesy wrote: I too have gone a secteur Disc - I have gone to get my old rear rack (TorTec Ultralite from wiggle) from my giant cypress onto the new bike. It doesn't fit (unless I am doing something wildly wrong). The rear wheels are much wider than the old bike. Bugger.

Any recommendations on what to get to ensure it is wide enough to attach on the back wheel?
(Or I might take this opportunity to get a carridice bag with a seat stem attachement - but I am worried about attaching this to a the carbon seat post)
The Tortec was going to be my second option but if it doesn't stretch open enough then I'll have to keep looking!

I wouldn't be attaching anything to the seatpost, especially with the carbon/flex insert (it flexes quite a bit in normal riding).

I'll have to post a couple of shots of the Tubus Disco mounted up, it's not the easiest to fit and now I'm trying to fit SKS mudguards :roll:

Brendan

holmesy

Postby holmesy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 pm

according to online chat with cell, they have said:
http://www.this link is broken/Yueni-Alloy ... -Brake_251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

would work. But after having one rack that doesn't fit, I'm too scared to take the plunge (although at the price it might be worth a risk?). What scares me is that it doesn't appear to have the mounting type at the area of the disc brake like the topeak one or the Tubus one.

Let me know how you go with mounting the mudguards - that is the next project!

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

DJIntegr8 wrote:
I'll have to post a couple of shots of the Tubus Disco mounted up, it's not the easiest to fit and now I'm trying to fit SKS mudguards :roll:

Brendan
I have SKS on mine too.. took me a lot longer than it probably should have to fit.. I reckon nearly 3 hours... :oops:

Here's a (crappy phone) pic:

'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Finally got some pics of my new setup for now. Still building up a set of dynamo hub wheels..

Tubus Disco and SKS P45 Longboards

Would prefer the rack to sit a little lower..

Had to use a small bracket to move the mount backwards

Still tight around the caliper

Enough room to adjust the pads..

Brendan

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:07 pm

slightly off on a tangent - I've got a road bike with the top tube caved in, everything else is fine and was looking to get a frame and use the parts for a commuter bike. I could just get a road frame but a rack is a requirement for me, and so CX frames seem to be the way to go. Looking at the likes of the planet uncle john, but none seem to fit caliper brakes. Is there such a beast with rack and caliper brake mounts? not too fussed on mudguards. can cantilever brakes fit to road levers?

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 pm

tubby74 wrote:slightly off on a tangent - I've got a road bike with the top tube caved in, everything else is fine and was looking to get a frame and use the parts for a commuter bike. I could just get a road frame but a rack is a requirement for me, and so CX frames seem to be the way to go. Looking at the likes of the planet uncle john, but none seem to fit caliper brakes. Is there such a beast with rack and caliper brake mounts? not too fussed on mudguards. can cantilever brakes fit to road levers?
The key definition of a CX bike is the ability to run big knobby tyres, loaded up with mud.

You can't fit such a tyre through a caliper, so CX bikes universally run cantilever (or now disc) brakes.

As an aside, many CX bikes also have rack mounts.

You can get road bikes and CX bikes with and without rack mounts. The rack mount does not make it a CX bike. Granted, there are more CX bikes with mounts than there are road bikes, but road bikes with rack mounts exist.

They're out of production now, but something like a Salsa Casseroll immediately springs to mind.
Or a Kona Honky Tonk, which is still in production.

That style of bike is more often than not going to be made of CrMo steel, because that's something the target niche of riders are into. But there are also alloy (and probably carbon) options if you look for them.

tim

holmesy

Postby holmesy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Without turning this into a secteur disc elite review page, my 3rd commute on it, and BANG flat front tyre- never had one go bang before. Not sure what it was, will have to examine tomorrow. I might have to head to the which commuter tyre thread now!(but really was expecting a bit longer life from a new bike tyre- at least specialized gave me a spare tube....)

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm

They don't go bang if the tube stays inside the tyre.

To get a bang, the tube had to first get outside the tyre. Possibly a pinch at the bead forced the tyre off and the tube escaped through there, stretched faster than the rubber would allow, and the rest is (rather loud) history.

Check the bead of the tyre before you re-use it. Last time I had one spit a tube out the side, I eventually discovered that the (wire) bead was separating and not seating on the hook of the rim any more.

tim

holmesy

Postby holmesy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 am

Thanks barefoot, I'll check it out