A Meter Matters Online Petition

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: A Meter Matters Online Petition

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

It's 'metre' not meter by the way.

~noimjusayin.

Doesn't matter if its 1.5 or 1m - at those dimensions, the car pretty much has to use the other laneto do a legal overtake. Most of the time (I know this might be hard especially for my first time on the road) just take the whole lane in the middle and cars will stop trying to find gaps and overtake you properly in the other lane. For single lane I still tend to do this and just make a really obvious move to the shoulder to allow them to pass. Turning is just outright screwed and I've had many close calls - if anything the 1m while turning is most important.
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

by BNA » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

BNA

Re: A Meter Matters Online Petition

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

"Legal" isn't every motorist's strong point. I've lost count of the number of times I've been riding in the left lane slightly to the right of centre, with very little room between myself and the lane dividing line, and still had some idiot overtake me with 2 wheels in my lane. Those motorists are less likely to pay any attention to a minimum-separation rule. Also, in Victoria at least (don't know about the other states), unless you actually get injured, the Police will do nothing, even if you have video evidence proving that the minimum-separation was violated. Of course, by the time you get injured (or worse), the consequences will be with you for a long time, regardless of what the motorist is found guilty of.
VRE

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy