Construction at UTS Rowers Club, Habefield Bay Path

TedDancin

Construction at UTS Rowers Club, Habefield Bay Path

Postby TedDancin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:18 am

I ride past the ex UTS Rowers club on my daily commute, and there's always been a skinny part with a sign asking cyclists to dismount and walk around the corner. I've never seen anyone dismount, and I don't either, my logic being that a cyclist walking beside their bike around a blind corner poses more of a hazard than riding very slowly with a foot unclipped. The recent demolition of the building has made it even narrower and blinder, and there's an entrance to the construction site right across the path.

I noticed this week, someone has painted on the footpath something like 'Little girlie run over by cyclist, please get off ur bike'. Just wondering if anyone has heard about the incident, and if you would 'get off ur bike' in this situation.

TTar

Re: Construction at UTS Rowers Club, Habefield Bay Path

Postby TTar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

TedDancin wrote: I noticed this week, someone has painted on the footpath something like 'Little girlie run over by cyclist, please get off ur bike'. Just wondering if anyone has heard about the incident, and if you would 'get off ur bike' in this situation.

I call BS. There may have been an "incident", but if it was anything serious, more drastic measures would have already been taken to get cyclists to dismount. Sounds like the area's middle-classes idea of guerrilla activism.

I do slow down and proceed cautiously, but never dismount. The only problem I've experienced through that blind corner is almost bumping into another rider doing precisely the same from the opposite direction. We exchanged knowing smiles and carried-on. 8)
Sent from my fortified compound

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Not sure if I can comply as it actually states "get of ur bike". Buggered if I know what that means! If you're going to complain at least do it properly!

As to whether I dismount, I never have and don't see the need to. Rather than putting a whole bunch of road furniture in there and creating a choke point it would have been easier to make the path wider

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:56 pm

In future, they might just make the path through there pedestrian only in response. Perhaps in that area, walk your bike through there. It isn't too far from what I've seen, and yes, I came through that area this morning (last couple of mornings in fact).

The incident though, I don't know - seems a bit curious. I'm sure it would have hit the media by now... Forgive me if I'm mistaken.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:42 pm

As i understand it there are different views between the RMS & Ashfield council. RMS put up shared path signs Ashfield council put up barriers & dismount signs. Guess which signs are not in the road rules.

I was cleaned up by someone riding too fast round that corner, pretzelling my front wheel. I was unhurt as I saw her coming & stopped.

That said all that is needed is care & attention, ie walking pace, no need for actual walking
Anything you can do, I can do slower

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 am

I noticed on the lilyfield side someone has added 'Can U Read' before the message. I am enjoying the passive aggressiveness.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:39 am

find_bruce wrote:....

That said all that is needed is care & attention, ie walking pace, no need for actual walking
Heresy! Are you, perhaps, suggesting that common sense and/or common courtesy be applied!?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 am

They should just put barriers there to make people dismount.

Noticed a lady dismount, yet the two Lycra warriors (don't complain, I'm part of that crowd so I can say that) in red and white and black kit at 8:20am this morning couldn't do so as the rode towards the lady going the other way?

Come on guys, just respect the sign or you'll make us all look bad. :|

Perhaps the next step will be Police there to grab the handlebars to stop those riders who don't dismount? That would be bad for everyone.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:49 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Come on guys, just respect the sign or you'll make us all look bad. :|
I don't like you anymore, boafy.

I think what that scholarly find_bruce fellow is saying a few posts up, is that the "dismount" signs have no legal standing, but even if they do, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a well-founded directive.

Your dismounting lady's decision to dismount should, of course, be respected, but as long as the lycra louts didn't impede or inconvenience her, what's the problem?

If the UTS Rowing Club was actually what its name implies; a community based sporting club, I'd be a lot more tolerant of the shambles there, but it primarily functions as a restaurant. The works will benefit the restaurant and that makes the shoddy arrangements during construction all the more galling. I can't picture the scene precisely, but I think there's a sizable parking bay out front that could have accommodated a temporary path during construction, but that would have been more expensive and spread the inconvenience more equitably among motorists, peds and cyclists. Much easier to do a half-ar5ed job and burden cyclists with the inconvenience.

It's your civic duty to disobey that dismount sign!

And if you renounce your previous comments and we can be friends again. :lol:
Sent from my fortified compound

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Awwwww! I'm shattered. :lol:

Thanks to you I've just spat my tea everywhere! ;)

I'd still dismount if I was going through there - that area looks pretty shoddy. Could have made it a bit more open surely? If I was on a average bike I probably wouldn't care so much. But a good one, last thing I want is someone collecting my front wheel.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:08 pm

TTar wrote:that scholarly find_bruce fellow
I have not been so outrageously slandered since last week when some bloke from Eaglehawk called me articulate.
TTar wrote:It's your civic duty to disobey that dismount sign!
It is always good to find some common ground.
Anything you can do, I can do slower