Is it time bicycles were registered?

rkelsen

Re: Is it time bicycles were registered?

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Ross wrote:WIth vehicles it is easy to count them because they are registered but with bicycles it's a lot harder because they aren't registered.
http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... res/30600/

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 am

Given the figures indicate a big increase in cycling numbers the fact that cycling fatalities and accidents are not going up indicates a lower accident rate for cyclists.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am

:roll:

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:47 am

i risk my life everytime I ride on the road - will registering my bike help? or just make it easier to identify the body?
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 am

Ross wrote:
Another slow news day.... It's like deja vu all over again...
And why are pedestrians worried... Maybe they shouldn't be wandering aimlessly across the road, against the traffic lights, without looking. :)
Num nuts blames the cycling fraternity for registration not ever going through... More like cost/benefit analysis done by governments perhaps.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Ross wrote:
So where was the bit where a cyclist broke the law? I couldn't really tell from the video, which appeared to show cyclists riding legally. Perhaps I missed the relevant few seconds.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 pm

No. Never. Not ever.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:22 pm

I liked Koshie's comment about these "Cyclists" who break the speed limit by up to 20kph - Wow!......even in a 40kph school zone, that is pretty impressive, (also fairly unlikely)....who writes his stuff??
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:56 pm

According to the report mentioned in the vote4cycling blog:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infras ... index.aspx

Cyclists deliver $1.43 in economic benefits per kilometre cycled!

That's my answer next time someone asks me why I shouldn't pay rego! I'm saving the government $12k per year... almost $43.5k in the past 4.25 years.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 pm

rkelsen wrote:According to the report mentioned in the vote4cycling blog:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infras ... index.aspx

Cyclists deliver $1.43 in economic benefits per kilometre cycled!

That's my answer next time someone asks me why I shouldn't pay rego! I'm saving the government $12k per year... almost $43.5k in the past 4.25 years.
Same here (holds out hand) - c'mon guys, pay up! I want my cut! :evil:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Deja Moo.
Same BS, different day.

I'll be happy to pay rego WHEN motor vehicle regulation moves to a full user pays model, the smokebox rego would be about 10% of now...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm

"Something needs to be done......."

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Wish we had troll registration. It could be the form of a congestion tax. For clogging up the interwebs.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 pm

actually I think it would be a good idea to head up some sort of (mock) bicycle registration organization. People could pay to get a little plastic sign (or upgrade to carbon fibre for serious enthusiasts) with a few random letters and numbers on it and they could stick it on their bike or jersey. The money raised could even be donated to some munificent bicycle charity.

Then apparently no pathological motorist would have anything to complain about or a legitimate excuse for elbow shaving you.

:wink:
Go!Run!GAH!

cowled

Postby cowled » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:
Then apparently no pathological motorist would have anything to complain about or a legitimate excuse for elbow shaving you.

Sorry cheese but there is NO "legitimate excuse for elbow shaving". Not even a little bit! What a silly thing to say.

I have given some thought to putting a little sign on the back of my new bike with a little camera symbol and a smiley face. I'm guessing that the only real motivation a bogan would have for giving me some room is if they thought their actions might be on camera.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:36 pm

That Kochie guy is such a total tool. The guy riding the Furphy tank should use him to tighten the wheel nuts :twisted:

Ahh, here it is - Heckler & Koch Multi-tool - ugly beast eh??

Last edited by il padrone on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 pm

cowled wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:

Sorry cheese but there is NO "legitimate excuse for elbow shaving". Not even a little bit! What a silly thing to say.

I have given some thought to putting a little sign on the back of my new bike with a little camera symbol and a smiley face. I'm guessing that the only real motivation a bogan would have for giving me some room is if they thought their actions might be on camera.

sorry I didn't mean to suggest it was (especially in light of your recent experience) .

My comments were more along the lines of actually complying to the (absurd) demand of registering cyclists as some measure to (suppoosedly) insure their safety ..... since even in youtube discussions that surround your recent incident you have this hackneyed argument resurfacing as if it bears some relevence to events at hand.

BTW I too have thought about posting a sign like you suggest (and have even had a road rager back down once he was aware he was on film) ... but I feel it might actually increase motivate them to yell and scream when passing , even if it inspires them to refrain from more blatant displays of dangerous/illegal behaviour
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:BTW I too have thought about posting a sign like you suggest (and have even had a road rager back down once he was aware he was on film) ... but I feel it might actually increase motivate them to yell and scream when passing , even if it inspires them to refrain from more blatant displays of dangerous/illegal behaviour
Mandatory helmet law?

cowled

Postby cowled » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Cheesewheel wrote: sorry I didn't mean to suggest it was (especially in light of your recent experience) .

My comments were more along the lines of actually complying to the (absurd) demand of registering cyclists as some measure to (suppoosedly) insure their safety
Fair enough. Should have given you the benefit of the doubt. The 'no rego - no road' argument is inherently flawed and yet people always bring it up as a reason why bicycles shouldn't be on the road.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:32 pm

If bicycle registration was economically viable, it would have been introduced many moons ago by every State and Territory in Australia. The fact that it hasn't speaks for itself.

My email to the Sunrise team, not that I expect it to go anywhere.

Dear Sunrise team.

Could you please do a balanced segment on bicycle registration and bicycle use in Australia.

All the current media campaign against "lycra clad" cyclists is doing, is making it more dangerous on the roads for cyclists.

All it does is give the bogans and road rage nutters out there a perceived green light to intimidate and attack cyclists as they believe the Australian media is on their side and legitimising their actions..

Instead of inviting some media industry types to comment, who at best can only provide anecdotal evidence that can not be supported by any real facts or statistics, why don't you invite some proper experts in to comment and discus topics such as; road cycling laws, registration and why it hasn't been introduced, who is at fault for most bicycle versus cars accidents, the cost benefits of cycling and the impact on future urban road projects, Australian road culture compared to countries where the road culture is cycling inclusive, and finally the real statistics and costs of Australia's yearly road toll and vehicular offences.

You could run a week long series with a different topic each day.

Surely if bicycle registration was feasible, an Australian Federal or State government would have introduced it a long time ago.

Here's some reading material.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... 18330.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.smh.com.au/national/bike-rid ... 2qxdg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.anzpaa.org.au/current-initia ... aster-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ptua.org.au/myths/petroltax.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by briztoon on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Percrime wrote:Wish we had troll registration. It could be the form of a congestion tax. For clogging up the interwebs.
Gold! QFT :)

cowled

Postby cowled » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Ross wrote:
And this is why I didn't want to do a story with Channel 7.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:24 pm

I thinking it would be good to have a number plate the other day. Bolted onto a steel rod sticking 1.5m out the RHS.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:06 pm

il padrone wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:BTW I too have thought about posting a sign like you suggest (and have even had a road rager back down once he was aware he was on film) ... but I feel it might actually increase motivate them to yell and scream when passing , even if it inspires them to refrain from more blatant displays of dangerous/illegal behaviour
In my experience the polite jacket works as a stronger semiotic tool to deliver a desired result.
Go!Run!GAH!

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:50 am

kb wrote:I thinking it would be good to have a number plate the other day. Bolted onto a steel rod sticking 1.5m out the RHS.
Love it...