new 28mm tyres, spare tube?

DoubleSpeeded

new 28mm tyres, spare tube?

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi guys

ive just purchased a 28mm tyre with matching tubes. (2 tyres and 2 tubes)

and i bought another spare tube for emergency. (the tubes are 28 - 32mm)

however, when i was pumping one of the tubes at 110psi... it BLEW UP... * :oops: *ouch* my ear drums are still ringing after 2 hours. (i dont know why it blew up... the tubes ive ever used never really stated pressure but the tyre specifies 116psi... so 110psi shouldve been OK)

anyways,
so im out of spare tubes...

However,
i have about 4 - 5 spare road tubes that say 25mm... (not the 28-32 which is IDEAL)

CAN these tubes get me out of trouble in the saddle bag? .. say, just for the ride home at least until i sort a tube out.

or is it better that i get tubes specially for 28mm?

thanks in advance
Last edited by DoubleSpeeded on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacks1071

Re: new 28mm tyres, spare tube?

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm

You can use normal 18-23mm tubes, my only observation is they lose a little more air overnight than the bigger tubes (I presume since they are stretched a little tinner). Reliability wise, I havn't found the more narrow tubes to be anymore or less reliable than the wider tubes when running a 28mm tyre.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Anything is better than walking. I carry a 23mm spare and have used one in 35mm kojak slicks with no problems.I left it in for a week or so until i changed to cx tyres.
Even seen peeps 'fold' the tube back into itself to fit into smaller diameter tyres in a pinch...eg. you have a roadie tube but are out and about on your cruiser/MTB.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:11 pm

110psi (assume you mean psi, not kpa) sounds massive for a 28mm tyre. I thiught the idea of larger tyres was being able to run lower pressures?
But regardless it shouldn't have been a problem? Maybe your tube had a fault?

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:32 pm

boyracer wrote:Anything is better than walking. I carry a 23mm spare and have used one in 35mm kojak slicks with no problems.I left it in for a week or so until i changed to cx tyres.
Even seen peeps 'fold' the tube back into itself to fit into smaller diameter tyres in a pinch...eg. you have a roadie tube but are out and about on your cruiser/MTB.

Walking in cleats too.... Imagine 15 - 20km.
:shock: I pray that would never happen to me.

Ok so a 25mm tube should work with no problems on a 28mm tyre.
Ill give it a try.

ozdavo wrote:110psi (assume you mean psi, not kpa) sounds massive for a 28mm tyre. I thiught the idea of larger tyres was being able to run lower pressures?
But regardless it shouldn't have been a problem? Maybe your tube had a fault?
Yeh sorry I just changed it. Your right. Thanks for pointing that out.

It was a continental tube. (I'm not happy about that aye)

I'm not 100% sure but I've noticed it's 110 - 116psi in 23mm - 28mm but anything from 32mm to 2.1 is about 55 - 60psi

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 am

Being a biggish tube for the tyre, there's a reasonable chance that you may have pinched a fold of tube under the bead of the tyre when fitting it, resulting in the blowout. You are actually safer fitting slightly "undersized" tubes (no bigger than ones that suggest 28 as their maximum rather than minimum size), beacause they're easier to tuck properly into the tyre when fitting, and they have heaps of stretch, so they'll be restrained by the tyre well before they reach blowing point.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:26 am

Duck! wrote:Being a biggish tube for the tyre, there's a reasonable chance that you may have pinched a fold of tube under the bead of the tyre when fitting it, resulting in the blowout. You are actually safer fitting slightly "undersized" tubes (no bigger than ones that suggest 28 as their maximum rather than minimum size), beacause they're easier to tuck properly into the tyre when fitting, and they have heaps of stretch, so they'll be restrained by the tyre well before they reach blowing point.
Thanks for that duck.

Will keep it in mind.

So keeping some 25 or 23mm tubes in the saddle for flats should be ok to get me home?

And say that happens (knock on wood)

Do you recommend to replace them with a more suited 23-28mm tube before the next ride and use the 25mm as spare again.?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:33 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
Duck! wrote:Being a biggish tube for the tyre, there's a reasonable chance that you may have pinched a fold of tube under the bead of the tyre when fitting it, resulting in the blowout. You are actually safer fitting slightly "undersized" tubes (no bigger than ones that suggest 28 as their maximum rather than minimum size), beacause they're easier to tuck properly into the tyre when fitting, and they have heaps of stretch, so they'll be restrained by the tyre well before they reach blowing point.
Thanks for that duck.

Will keep it in mind.

So keeping some 25 or 23mm tubes in the saddle for flats should be ok to get me home?

Do you recommend to replace them with a more suited 23-28mm tube before the next ride and use the 25mm as spare again.?
The smaller tubes are fine, I've stopped paying extra for the wider tubes and I'm running the 28's on a tandem with about 145kg on it - travelling at speeds you could only dream about on a single bike...
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:05 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:
Thanks for that duck.

Will keep it in mind.

The smaller tubes are fine, I've stopped paying extra for the wider tubes and I'm running the 28's on a tandem with about 145kg on it - travelling at speeds you could only dream about on a single bike...

cool

well ive got 2 tubes in the saddle bag and now will carry them with confidence. =)

thanks guy
much appreciated!

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 am

Follow up...

i must say, i purchased a set of ear muffs in the Personal Protective Equipment section/Safety Workwear in Bunnings. as i am now officially paranoid of exploding tubes and do not want ears to ring like that again.

I seriously did not like that Sonic-Boom at all......... so Ill now use it every time i pump a tyre up.
:oops:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:47 am

Running an undersized tube is not a problem. Odds are that your tyre probably doesn't run a true 28mm in width, most are undersized.