Around the Bay 2013

DowntonMini

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby DowntonMini » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi All

I've just signed up to BNA.

I have a spare Around The Bay 2013 ticket - Anticlockwise starting in Melbourne - Geelong, etc...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my friend will be too pregnant to cycle in October so I hope someone else will be interested in buying the ticket.

Please let me know if you want any more details - from memory shirt size is medium and average speed is 30 km/hr.

Many thanks

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 pm

DowntonMini wrote:Hi All

I've just signed up to BNA.

I have a spare Around The Bay 2013 ticket - Anticlockwise starting in Melbourne - Geelong, etc...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my friend will be too pregnant to cycle in October so I hope someone else will be interested in buying the ticket.

Please let me know if you want any more details - from memory shirt size is medium and average speed is 30 km/hr.

Many thanks
Might be worth starting your own thread also, if you haven't already?
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

DowntonMini wrote:

Although she could win the Tandem category, by technicality. :)

andyg5

Postby andyg5 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Was hoping for some ideas.

First time doing the 135km this year which starts at Geelong and ends in Melbourne.

My plan was to drive to Geelong in the morning with others, then somehow get back there after the ride to get my car back.

Going on previous years, do many riders get the train back to Geelong, get someone to drive them back, or is there another alternative?

Any advice would be appreciated

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:10 pm

There was a transport option to take you back to Geelong from the finish available at signup from memory, not sure if you can do it post signup or not. Wasnt cheap though. At this stage we are planning on catching the train back, not sure how many have done it in previous years, last time we did it we drove back to Geelong and IIRC last year was the first year of the 135km.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

andyg5

Postby andyg5 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks, Have not had to take my bike on the train yet.
May have to start.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Given the extra time it will take to get back to your car, and then drive back to Melbourne, you should see if you can upgrade to the 210 km. Might as well be on a bike rather than a train or car!

Focus Mares AX 2.0

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Was hoping for some ideas.

First time doing the 135km this year which starts at Geelong and ends in Melbourne.

My plan was to drive to Geelong in the morning with others, then somehow get back there after the ride to get my car back.

Going on previous years, do many riders get the train back to Geelong, get someone to drive them back, or is there another alternative?

I would just ride to Geelong.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:49 pm

birdbrain wrote:
andyg5 wrote:Was hoping for some ideas.

I would just ride to Geelong.
Perhaps he's not ready to cycle the extra distance? (whatever it might be)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:33 pm

OK, I'm confused.

Did anyone who chose to purchase the postage option receive their riders pack today in the mail (including the jersey)?

Looking on the ATB website it says that riders have until 5pm on Mon 30 September to change jersey, meal options - which if this is the case, how come I have already received my riders pack and jersey (including rego plate and wrist band)?

Thankfully the jersey size I'd initially chosen online actually fits, but something doesn't seem right to me....

Interested to hear if anyone else received their pack today....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Yeah I got mine today. Wearing different kit on the day so didnt even try it on.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:30 pm

DoogleDave wrote:OK, I'm confused.

Did anyone who chose to purchase the postage option receive their riders pack today in the mail (including the jersey)?

Looking on the ATB website it says that riders have until 5pm on Mon 30 September to change jersey, meal options - which if this is the case, how come I have already received my riders pack and jersey (including rego plate and wrist band)?

Thankfully the jersey size I'd initially chosen online actually fits, but something doesn't seem right to me....

Interested to hear if anyone else received their pack today....

Dave
My brother and I also received our packs today. Perhaps they assume that if you are paying for delivery then you have your details sorted?

Focus Mares AX 2.0

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Most people at work and myself got it this week
1972 LeJeune World Champion - Nuovo Record
1980's Hendry custom built - Tricolour 600
1995 Serotta Legend Ti - SRAM Red

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:54 pm

I got my pack, upped the size of the top and it fits nicely, still no zipped pocket though :evil:

I am now way near as fit this year, had ongoing bug since June which has hampered training but as its basically a flat course and plenty of bunches to tack on to I am sure I will be fine. I am only doing the 210km as well this year, portarlington is not worth it :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:23 pm

That sounds awfully like my situatin as well YVP :-)

I decided to try the 250 this year and bought the ticket the day they were released, but after minimal training I'm thinking of just doing the 210 course instead.

As you said its a pretty flat course so I'll just take it easy and ride with a few friends who are in the same position...and by all reports, at least I'll get a 1-3 hour rest when I hit Queenscliff (waiting to get ferried across to Sorrento) - LOL :-)

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:36 pm

DoogleDave wrote:That sounds awfully like my situatin as well YVP :-)

I decided to try the 250 this year and bought the ticket the day they were released, but after minimal training I'm thinking of just doing the 210 course instead.

As you said its a pretty flat course so I'll just take it easy and ride with a few friends who are in the same position...and by all reports, at least I'll get a 1-3 hour rest when I hit Queenscliff (waiting to get ferried across to Sorrento) - LOL :-)

Dave
Having done the 250 last year I can also say that it isn't worth it (despite only actually being 238 km). And yeah, try and make it to the ferry early. Do your resting once you've crossed.

Focus Mares AX 2.0

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:50 pm

I decided on the 210km this year to ensure i got to queenscliff as early as possible, the wait last year killed me. The way I see it your guaranteed to get 90 min rest so smash myself for the first half and the see how I go for the second 100km, I just want to get to sorrento as quickly as I can
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

snark

Postby snark » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I've just started thinking about the 210km, having done the Amy's Gran Fondo last weekend. My longest ride so far is the 140km Otway classic which had pretty decent hill in the middle. Is a flatish 210km ride a huge jump on top of a hilly 140km ride? The ferry break obviously break things up a bit which I figure almost splits this in to two 100km rides.

I was thinking of the clockwise ride. A good potential tail wind to finish would seem to outweigh a boring final stretch...

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:33 pm

snark wrote:I've just started thinking about the 210km, having done the Amy's Gran Fondo last weekend. My longest ride so far is the 140km Otway classic which had pretty decent hill in the middle. Is a flatish 210km ride a huge jump on top of a hilly 140km ride? The ferry break obviously break things up a bit which I figure almost splits this in to two 100km rides.

I was thinking of the clockwise ride. A good potential tail wind to finish would seem to outweigh a boring final stretch...

Cheers,
Simon.
Yeah, I'm doing the clockwise 210 this year after having done the anti-clockwise 250 last year. The last ~30 km were into an insane wind. Also, the ride is basically pancake flat and you're almost always in a group. So don't worry that your current longest ride is 140 km. I had never ridden over 140 when I rode the 250.

Focus Mares AX 2.0

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:51 pm

I think I'm not as fit as i was last year but can still do 110km rides with not much fuss. The thing that will go in my favor tho is that I do 200km of commuting a week regardless of what training rides I do :)
And not to mention my bike has been upgraded since to :)

I also plan to smash it down to Sorrento to get to the ferry by 9:30!

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:22 pm

joshnh wrote:
Yeah, I'm doing the clockwise 210 this year after having done the anti-clockwise 250 last year. The last ~30 km were into an insane wind.
Clockwise last year it was tough pushing into the wind up the Bellarine Peninsula, but we really glided back to Melbourne from Geelong - 50kmh at times.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 pm

snark wrote:I've just started thinking about the 210km, having done the Amy's Gran Fondo last weekend. My longest ride so far is the 140km Otway classic which had pretty decent hill in the middle. Is a flatish 210km ride a huge jump on top of a hilly 140km ride? The ferry break obviously break things up a bit which I figure almost splits this in to two 100km rides.

Cheers,
Simon.
The year I did the 210 we had never ridden more than 100km, and had only done that a couple of times. It would seem as though I like going in underprepared, doing the 135 this year and have barely ridden since Junior was born. She turns two in Nov :shock:

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 am

Cheers,
Simon.
Simon, it is a jump of sorts from 140km with hills to 210km without.
The jump is backwards! Infact the 210km may prove underwhelming.
Your legs would have more than enough to get you around.

It's just a matter of whether you can sit comfortably on your bike for 6-7hrs for you to get around.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:10 am

im_no_pro wrote: The year I did the 210 we had never ridden more than 100km, and had only done that a couple of times. It would seem as though I like going in underprepared, doing the 135 this year and have barely ridden since Junior was born. She turns two in Nov :shock:
That sounds like me... Haha.
Ours 2yrs old in Dec, but I'm booked in for 210km.
Not an issue though. Ill be riding with my bro... He is new to cycling.
This will be his first attempt at anything like this.
His strava times are in the lower quartile for all rides he takes on.
But FWIW he just won't quit... He's too stubborn / determined (inset other apt word here).
I'm actually quite impressed and proud for his resilience to continue ploughing on.

Re: the Ferry across.
How are the bikes taken across?
I wouldn't want mine piled into a corner of the ferry and put at risk of any damage.
Superficial or otherwise. Anyone ever had issues with this?

Fraggle

Postby Fraggle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Dimis wrote: Re: the Ferry across.
How are the bikes taken across?
I wouldn't want mine piled into a corner of the ferry and put at risk of any damage.
Superficial or otherwise. Anyone ever had issues with this?
Yep, Piled in the corner on the deck.

Yet another reason only ride one side and return but hey, you can do that any day of the year.

But I have heard of people riding down to Sorrento, visiting the bakery and returning by 2pm. Twas a very nice day. :wink: