Sleep loss makes you fat: study

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
singlespeedscott

Re: Sleep loss makes you fat: study

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:50 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Lights Out!
Recently scientists have been discovering that exposure to artificial light at night, even the glow of a cell phone or computer screen, can throw our internal body clock out of sync with the planet and may even be leading to serious illnesses like cancer, obesity, heart disease and certain forms of depression.
http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episod ... s-out.html
I can't sleep if I've been sitting on the phone or in front of the computer before bed. Usually I read a book in bed for 1/2hr and then turn out the lights. It just helps to switch off the brain.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Recently scientists have been discovering that exposure to artificial light at night, even the glow of a cell phone or computer screen, can throw our internal body clock out of sync with the planet and may even be leading to serious illnesses like cancer, obesity, heart disease and certain forms of depression.
Oh noes. Rotating shift worker sitting in front of a dozen monitors all night. I'm DOOMED! :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Oh noes. Rotating shift worker sitting in front of a dozen monitors all night. I'm DOOMED! :(
i do the same. I never have any problem falling asleep after night shift. 12hrs and I'm wrecked.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I have an update. In the last 4 or 5 days I have started returning back to normal. My mood has improved, my energy levels have improved, my motivation has improved and I am sleeping better. I haven't really changed anything like bed time, exercise, food or activity to explain the difference. I put it down to having sun after work. It has been so much nicer than dark after work or dreary grey clouds with rain. I'm not back to normal yet but am much happier after seeing so much improvement in the above.
<removed by request>

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:01 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering from the winter blues, it was impossible to get motivated. New job, long long commute, terrible weather and study killed any pre winter fitness I'd developed. Some interesting advice on how to deal with this. Hopefully a long summer and a properly fit out winter training room will make next winter more manageable.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:23 pm

some more uplifting stuff for those of us who do shift work;

Category One risks are known carcinogens such as asbestos. Night working now sits just one rung below that: a probable cause of cancer. Dr Vincent Cogliano of the IARC said they reached their conclusion after looking at a wide number of studies of both humans and animals.

On the epidemiological side, "there's human data -- nurses, airplane flight attendants, different groups that engage in shift work -- that have an elevated risk of breast cancer, and that's the strongest finding," Aaron Blair said. "There's lesser evidence, but some positive evidence, for [increased risk of] prostate cancer, and a little less, but still positive, evidence, for colon cancer," he noted.

In animal studies, rats exposed to light during their nocturnal, active phase, also displayed spikes in cancer incidence, Blair said.

There are also investigations into possible biological mechanisms linking working through the small hours to heightened odds for malignancy. The strongest theory involves melatonin, a hormone produced by the brain's pineal gland.

"Melatonin gets made during the dark period," Blair explained. "If you get light exposure during the normal dark period, it severely reduces the amount of melatonin that is made."

The hormone affects many different physiological systems, Blair added. "It is also an antioxidant -- a sink for chemicals that are normally dangerous to life," he noted.

Melatonin can affect the immune system, as well, including cancer-suppressing genes, Blair said.

Night shift workers may also have to deal with disrupted sleep patterns. Altered sleep patterns and sleep deprivation weaken the immune system, he said, and upset natural rhythms the body uses to maintain healthy cells.
Blair stressed that the IARC has only defined night shift work as a "probable" cancer risk -- there's not enough proof to place it in the "definite" category alongside such villains as asbestos and smoking.

So, is there anything night shift workers can do to reduce their potential risk? Besides switching to a day job, maybe not a lot -- experts don't recommend long-term melatonin supplementation, because it may undermine the body's ability to produce the hormone naturally.

"It appears that the impact of shift work is greatest if you keep changing the shift that you are on," Blair said. If you find yourself working at night, then "it's better that you are always a night shift worker," he said. Switching back between day and night shifts is really tough on the body's circadian clock, and "there was the sense that this might be the most hazardous type of shift work that you could be engaged in," Blair said.

http://ecancer.org/news/460-iarc-adds-n ... k-list.php

I note that switching between day and night is the worst type of shift work. Just what we do. :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 pm

warthog1 wrote:some more uplifting stuff for those of us who do shift work...

I note that switching between day and night is the worst type of shift work. Just what we do. :(
Oh well, if we didn't do it then someone else would have to. Just think of it as an extra community service we're doing. And the extra money doesn't hurt. :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 pm

To true. I don't do alternating nights and days because I love it. It's about the cash. Plus I do like the 4 on, 4 off thing. I've never had so much time at home as I do now.

warthog1

Sleep loss makes you fat: study

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:57 pm

I don't have a choice in my industry. After nearly 12 years I am over it and would like to have a weekend and be at home with my family for meal times and at night.
Still it's my own stupid fault that I have got myself in the financial position were I can't afford a job that pays less money. We are getting screwed though as the lowest paid in the country. More than 20k behind some other states.
The 4 on 4 off business p's me off that it is by convention called 4 off. You don't work 8 hours of a 24 hr period, come home shagged and call it a day off. :x
Not having a go at you SSS. More the fact that our management can class that 1st day as a day off.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:I don't have a choice in my industry.
The majority of jobs in mine are the same.
warthog1 wrote:Still it's my own stupid fault that I have got myself in the financial position were I can't afford a job that pays less money.
This is normal. No matter how much money you earn, it never feels like enough. You debt level or lifestyle just gravitates quickly to whatever is coming in. I got paid well last financial year and yet I'm still asking myself where it all went. Very little on bikes anyway.
warthog1 wrote:We are...the lowest paid in the country. More than 20k behind some other states.
Well, the cycling can't be 20K better, so why not just move (again)? You don't sound real happy there. Money's not everything, but if you're suffering for it, you might as well be getting the maximum rate.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Nobody wrote:Well, the cycling can't be 20K better, so why not just move (again)? You don't sound real happy there. Money's not everything, but if you're suffering for it, you might as well be getting the maximum rate.
I'm not moving the kids again. They start secondary school next year and have already had 2 moves in their primary schooling. Family are all close by in Melb so I've made our bed and have to lie in it.
I'm just whinging, I appear good at it but should stop :roll: Thanks for listening anyway :)
Last edited by warthog1 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Nobody wrote:This is normal. No matter how much money you earn, it never feels like enough. You debt level or lifestyle just gravitates quickly to whatever is coming in. I got paid well last financial year and yet I'm still asking myself where it all went. Very little on bikes anyway.
A bit last year on bikes as we sold our house and bought another. But yes you earn more and it still disappears.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 pm

warthog1 wrote:I'm just whinging, I appear good at it but should stop :roll: Thanks for listening anyway :)
You're just a tired, angry, shift worker. I know the feeling well. Happy to listen. At least we're almost on topic this time. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Nobody wrote: At least we're almost on topic this time. :)
:lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Does the inverse hold true - "fat loss makes you sleep" :D

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:30 pm

find_bruce wrote:Does the inverse hold true - "fat loss makes you sleep" :D
Yes.
<removed by request>