The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jules21

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 am

looks like he is a sikh. in india, the footpaths don't exist, are covered in rubble or serve as extensions of shopfronts. walking on the road is de rigeur. it doesn't surprise me that some immigrants carry on their long-formed habits here. i once saw a car salmoning down Flemington Rd! i thought i was back on holiday in asia.

the fact is, some countries are more backward than others. he hasn't yet realised that in australia, motorists will aim for you.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

AKO wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.
The dreaded hunger bonk. Yeah.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Going home last night, had to go get fuel. Turned into Pilbara st Welshpool and what do I see a person on a bike riding towards me on the wrong side of the road.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 pm

jules21 wrote:looks like he is a sikh. in india, the footpaths don't exist, are covered in rubble or serve as extensions of shopfronts. walking on the road is de rigeur. it doesn't surprise me that some immigrants carry on their long-formed habits here. i once saw a car salmoning down Flemington Rd! i thought i was back on holiday in asia.

the fact is, some countries are more backward than others. he hasn't yet realised that in australia, motorists will aim for you.
Having also been in India, the traffic is significantly different. Cars don't expect to drive down the road at the speed limit without obstruction. Speeds are much slower and everyone seems to give way to everyone, peds, cows, bikes included. It is quite confronting crossing roads there under heavy traffic, but you just pick the tiniest gap and step out - a sure recipe for hospital on this country.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 pm

bychosis wrote:Having also been in India, the traffic is significantly different. Cars don't expect to drive down the road at the speed limit without obstruction. Speeds are much slower and everyone seems to give way to everyone, peds, cows, bikes included. It is quite confronting crossing roads there under heavy traffic, but you just pick the tiniest gap and step out - a sure recipe for hospital on this country.
even though their road toll is horrific and after accounting for all factors, their roads are much more dangerous than ours, their attitude towards other road users - at least their intent - is much more positive than ours. whether it's better to be killed in a head-on collision by someone who thought he could squeeze through than someone who deliberately took out out as he was outraged you were in his way is another matter..

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm

bychosis wrote: but you just pick the tiniest gap and step out - a sure recipe for hospital on this country.
It's also a recipe for hospital in India, but that's just the way it is and people have accepted it.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 pm

AKO wrote:I was the dumb cyclist this morning. Thought I could bash out a 65klm ride on an empty stomach (had never attempted it before). Started to feel hungry at about 40klms and started to slow dramatically sometime after that. The last 10klms took over an hour. I was walking up hills I normally roll over with ease, had absolutely no power in the legs and stopped feeling thirsty. I don't remember pulling into the driveway at home :O. Slept the day away after that because I was totally exhausted and nauseas. Never again.
Is that being a dumb cyclist? I went for about 80km on an empty stomach, and only had about 400-500ml of water(no taps around, and had to be conservative). I couldve gone on, but was starving. 1 pork roll later, and Im back to complete the remaining 25km to hit home.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 am

QuangVuong wrote:
Is that being a dumb cyclist? I went for about 80km on an empty stomach, and only had about 400-500ml of water(no taps around, and had to be conservative). I couldve gone on, but was starving. 1 pork roll later, and Im back to complete the remaining 25km to hit home.
It was dumb of me because 65klms is a long solo ride for me. First time I've attempted any length ride on an empty stomach never mind a decent length by my standards.

And Percrime, i'd heard of bonking but never thought I would ever push myself hard enough to experience it. I found out you dont have to push yourself hard to bonk, stupidity works too.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah. I have gone from leading a train of people at 40+ kph.. to unable to maintain 25 in a couple of hundred yards. Ate a chocky bar (Well a family block of cadbury ) in a few bites and almost instantly back up to speed. For some reason I bonk really badly and recover really quickly

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 6718145084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I hope this is watchable.
I am just waiting to go through the light and look to my right, to see the following.

Keep the sound up as a car just stops short of a waiting vehicle.

This is interesting as the ped initially has a green light and should cross. But he waves the confused driver through. Then a ute nearly cleans up the waiting car.
Of course the light for the ped goes red and after all that he decides to keep walking.
I unconsciously called the ped an idiot..... :D

Click on the pic.

Last edited by outnabike on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 pm

No problem , he will beat the wrap, Nicole saw him coming and yelled WU. Wu thought she was calling him and kept riding towards her..... :lol:
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 pm

It is not all rosy in the Netherlands :) BTW that is a one-way bike lane.

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

:? Where's the dumb?
All I saw was huge amounts of /B flying about...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:It is not all rosy in the Netherlands :) BTW that is a one-way bike lane.

All looks pretty reasonable, much like what would happen in Italy on one-way streets (they don't have too many bike lanes). BTW, if there is an obstruction - truck off-loading and stationary car with hazard flashers - the legal thing to do is to go around with due care. That is pretty much what I see happening.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wob

Postby wob » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:It is not all rosy in the Netherlands :) BTW that is a one-way bike lane.

Andrew
Why not "rosy" - we've got drivers and cyclists using their common sense to ride safely and efficiently through town. Isn't that what we want?

I takes tolerance and a slow and steady approach by motorists and cyclists alike but it seems to work well.

Martin

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm not sure what your problem with that is. If it is the perceived breaking of the strict letter of laws then it just shows how much we have to learn. (Though I'm not even sure it is clear that laws are being broken.) The obsession with rules and the way cyclists and motorists get righteous over perceived infractions is a bigger problem than rule breaking itself.

What seems to be occurring in the video is the triumph of common sense. I'm not sure how that falls into the category of "It is not all rosy". :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:20 pm

can you imagine that scene in australia? people would be going nuts, screaming at each other "it's a one way lane you person-of-inbred-family-lineage!!!!!!" "get the flying bicycles out of my way!!!" there's even a cyclist on the phone. i was doing that on a dedicated, shared path once and another rider came up next to me and started abusing me. i was like "ahh, there's no traffic here, it's just you and me" "it's ILLEGAL!!1!!!" "come on, really?" "IT'S JUST AS BAD AS IF A DRIVER DOES IT" "i'm not seeing how that's the case" etc.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 pm

BRUM! Wait.... false alarm. Just a dinky toy car :P

Careful Jules. You don't want to end up on the grass beside the shared pathway :lol: :lol:

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:BRUM! Wait.... false alarm. Just a dinky toy car :P
:mrgreen: When I was living in Amsterdam as a child that show was a favourite of the kids. :lol:

It think the video and the responses highlight the big difference in attitudes that often cause arguments on this very forum regarding road rules and order. Some people believe in applying common sense and respect for others over road rules. Other simply believe that road rules are king and other considerations come second.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Cycling while talking on the phone, while in busy traffic, was de rigeur in Italy ;)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Riddley

Postby Riddley » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 am

Lukeyboy wrote:

Ah yes, the sound of the Netherlands: tiny 2 stroke motors.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:54 am

human909 wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:BRUM! Wait.... false alarm. Just a dinky toy car :P
:mrgreen: When I was living in Amsterdam as a child that show was a favourite of the kids. :lol:
It was a favorite for the kids when I was growing up in Australia. 90's childhood shows rocked! :P

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:33 am

il padrone wrote:Cycling while talking on the phone, while in busy traffic, was de rigeur in Italy ;)
Still is.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 pm

this corner scares me. one day i will be posting a crash here, potentially involving me.