jules21

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:48 am

utterly clueless

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Summernight wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I forgot to post this but this is from last month. I think this is in the correct thread :P

That reminds me. I had one of those riding in the opposite direction to me on the MYT shared path beside the Eastern Freeway on Wednesday afternoon. Electric too so made no noise.
Looks very much like this one

If so, they make plenty of noise, at least when they get to court and are convicted of using an unregistered motor vehicle. That particular defendant was dealt with lightly (except no doubt by the cost of her lawyers). The more common charges in NSW are

(1) use an unregistered registrable Class A motor vehicle, contrary to section 18(1) of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Act 1997;
(2) use an uninsured motor vehicle contrary to s. 8(1)(a) of the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999;
(3) drive whilst disqualified contrary to s. 25A(1)(a) of the Road Transport (Driver Licencing) Act 1998; and
(4) ride motor bike without approved motor bike helmet contrary to s. 270(1)(a) of the Road Rules 2008.

Note the last bike was branded as a southern star. The decision doesn't reveal whether it came with flare
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Mute if you have sensitive ears.

Truck in front of me indicates left, i foolishly assume he is parking on the left...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Bah77 wrote:Mute if you have sensitive ears.

Truck in front of me indicates left, i foolishly assume he is parking on the left...
NEVER EVER (EVER) trust anyone in a rental truck!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am

I did a longer ride with a small group on Saturday. All good EXCEPT 1 vehicle at Petrie giving me a shave for no reason (2 lanes, no cars in the other lane)

Didn't get the rego BUT the business plastered all over the car helped remind me :D

This mob:
http://www.oseelectricalservices.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks like it's a one man show, so contacting them won't get me anywhere

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Several appointments will keep him busy though, tower blocks with on street parking, renovations, part built sites, knock down sites, abandoned buildings.

Riding home from a few beers out with Mrs Waka and we both get buzzed by an 'L' player in a white Hyundia excel, yelling something from the window, thankfully they did not shave us. Night ride lights on, not slowing anyone, turned what was a first for us, riding into town for a meal and a ride back to a hmmm we might not bother riding out at night again to the pub/restaurant. I tried to give chase but the cheeseburger, or possibly the chips, actually thinking about it, it could have been the two beers, anyway gave chase up the hill then they slowed at the next junction and turned left, it was very clear that the learner was a new learner as they had no idea how to properly maneuver, worrying they are being taught in this fashion.
We were on the left closer to the curb than the solid white line and still shouted at! How much room do you need?
http://goo.gl/vG4vN7

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Several appointments will keep him busy though, tower blocks with on street parking, renovations, part built sites, knock down sites, abandoned buildings.
I don't condone that such activity myself, but OSE may enjoy a challenge

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Waiting at the traffic lights turning right out of Orrong Rd Welshpool into Pilbara St. Finally get my green arrow and off I go, I very soon became aware of a car on the other side coming straight at me :shock: BRAAAAKE. They saw me and stopped! Thought the green arrow was their green light! Unlucky for them for 2 reasons, company car (Nessco) and that intersection has a red light/speed camera setup on it and car would have been nailed for running a red light.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Horrible wet conditions in Melbs ATM and due to renovations on a deadline, I haven't ridden for a few days.

Learn to drive to the conditions you dills! Just because you are obeying the magic number in the red circle DOES NOT mean you are driving safely!

As for clowns driving ninja in crepuscular drizzle at 0630, the fact that YOU can see others is little comfort to the peoples that can't see you.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

zero

Postby zero » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Bah77 wrote:Mute if you have sensitive ears.

You became visible in his mirrors at 13 and nearly alongside his cab at 14. If you come from behind the load at all, you gotta leave the guy 4-5 seconds or so to pick you up (granted if he changes his mind about what he is doing he should also do so far more slowly than that when in a truck). If you are aware you've been behind the load on approach, probably shouldn't overtake - should probably just take up a position 10m back and in plain sight of the rearview on the drivers side and wait for the situation to resolve. One of the things indicate left can mean is about to swing right and reverse into a driveway (though by the looks of this one he found the property he was looking for was on the other side of the road).

In all truth you also have to be pretty concerned about driveways / parked cars setting into motion ahead of the truck on the left. can't see them at all when overtaking.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote: As for clowns driving ninja in crepuscular drizzle at 0630, the fact that YOU can see others is little comfort to the peoples that can't see you.

My pet hate.

Weather turned to She-ite down this way this avo and half the cars happily driving along sans headlights.
Even followed a dark P plater in a dark car without lights.
Grey day, grey road and dark cars. In the name of all things Holy!
Thing is, you'd find 99% of drivers would consider themselves as 'good' drivers.

Anyhoo, onto nicer topics..not!

Finally got my second go pro for the front end (many thanks family assistance rebate and all youse taxpayers)
1st day on the way to work 12-9-13.
Not one, not 2 but 3 (stupid/too close/numpty) times. Man I am so using both cameras for my commute!

Why is it that the straighter the road with greater visibility, gets more close/stupid passes than the twisties?

Anway, here it is......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAf_nefK ... hxdyNpNhaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 pm

zero wrote: You became visible in his mirrors at 13 and nearly alongside his cab at 14. If you come from behind the load at all, you gotta leave the guy 4-5 seconds or so to pick you up (granted if he changes his mind about what he is doing he should also do so far more slowly than that when in a truck). If you are aware you've been behind the load on approach, probably shouldn't overtake - should probably just take up a position 10m back and in plain sight of the rearview on the drivers side and wait for the situation to resolve. One of the things indicate left can mean is about to swing right and reverse into a driveway (though by the looks of this one he found the property he was looking for was on the other side of the road).

In all truth you also have to be pretty concerned about driveways / parked cars setting into motion ahead of the truck on the left. can't see them at all when overtaking.
I agree i could have done things a little different, when he indicated I was going to stop, but saw it looked pretty clear and went.. but what you said i was thinking of after it happened.. if i was further right beforehand i would have been in his mirrors, maybe he wouldn't have done what he did? Also thought he may have been reversing in, but he was parked on the otherside when i went past next lap, and still swinging out like that to reverse park with traffic behind still moving, not the best way to do it.

I have another video kind of showing your point about not seeing traffic ahead while a car is blocking the lane too, nothing serious though.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Hey Bah77, really good response mate.

Personally in such situations, I behave like a car and slow down behind such vehicles. Once i have sussed out the situation, I choose the safest option for me to get around. If I am fast approaching a slow moving vehicle I tend to take the view that my safety is more important that getting anywhere or nowhere fast.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am

Lady in a small car this morning who firstly failed to give way to a 4wd, and then to me.

She was turning right across our path at a 4-way intersection facing a give way, and both the 4wd and I were going straight across but facing a stop sign. I give her the universal what are you doing sign. She stops in the intersection and yells "you have a stop sign".

Ah yeh. Which the 4wd and I both stopped at to give way to a car on the main road without any give ways. After that, as she was turning right and we were going straight, so she was required to give way to us.

69A Two or more drivers facing various signs or lines at an
intersection
If 2 or more drivers at an intersection are each facing a stop
sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line, each driver
must give way to the other or others, as required under
division 2, as if none of the drivers were facing a stop sign,
stop line, give way sign or give way line.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:59 am

hmmm. i thought stop had to give way to everything (i.e. give way)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 am

jasonc wrote:hmmm. i thought stop had to give way to everything (i.e. give way)
I am guessing she was facing a stop sign too.

Andrew

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 am

Yesterday at an intersection where all lights go red, then the pedestrians get a green to cross in all directions, i am second in line in my car.
Cyclist on rides up on my left slowly, just as the pedestrians get green to walk, cyclist slowly rolls through... van in front of me sees him going and slowly rolls forward through the intersection (light still red) despite the fact that all sides have people crossing, even the opposite side of the road to him, he just keeps slowly rolling through :roll:

And similarly, the other day at a T intersection, traffic from the right has the green and has so for a while, car in front seems to think it is about to change as does the car beside him (i think the car on the left wanted to beat him off the lights to get in the right lane), both of them start rolling slowly forward, light still has changed, they cross the dotted lines, light still hasn't changed, at this point i guess they figured they had gone too far and they keep rolling slowly through the intersection, the light finally changed when they were about 50 meters away.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 am

Aushiker wrote:
jasonc wrote:hmmm. i thought stop had to give way to everything (i.e. give way)
I am guessing she was facing a stop sign too.

Andrew
InTheWoods says otherwise:
InTheWoods wrote:Lady in a small car this morning who firstly failed to give way to a 4wd, and then to me.

She was turning right across our path at a 4-way intersection facing a give way

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 am

InTheWoods just sent me the following:
1. you have to stop
2. you have to give way to other people not facing a stop or give way sign
3. for everybody else facing stops and give ways, that rule I quoted applies. the give way doesn't have priority over the stop.

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Bah77 wrote:Yesterday at an intersection where all lights go red, then the pedestrians get a green to cross in all directions, i am second in line in my car.
Cyclist on rides up on my left slowly, just as the pedestrians get green to walk, cyclist slowly rolls through... van in front of me sees him going and slowly rolls forward through the intersection (light still red) despite the fact that all sides have people crossing, even the opposite side of the road to him, he just keeps slowly rolling through :roll:
Perhaps the van driver was trying to make the (understandable) point that if it's ok for a bicycle to ride through a red light into a stream of pedestrians then it should be ok for all road users to do the same.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:11 pm

arkle wrote:
Bah77 wrote:Yesterday at an intersection where all lights go red, then the pedestrians get a green to cross in all directions, i am second in line in my car.
Perhaps the van driver was trying to make the (understandable) point that if it's ok for a bicycle to ride through a red light into a stream of pedestrians then it should be ok for all road users to do the same.

arkle

That's what I thought.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm

arkle wrote:Perhaps the van driver was trying to make the (understandable) point that if it's ok for a bicycle to ride through a red light into a stream of pedestrians then it should be ok for all road users to do the same.
I don't see that as an rational point. Cars and bicycles are not the same. The expectations on the behaviour of the two should not be considered identical either.