Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

bicyclepassion

Re: Pre 1930 Malvern Star serial numbers

Postby bicyclepassion » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 pm

mrkeith wrote:Helleo Warren. I found an old malvern star womens bike in a clean up pile. Would be cool if it was the same year as my birthday, 1957. it has a number on the rear fork. The number is stamped clearly and neatly. It is 151C1. I cannot stand seeing things going to waste. This is times gone by and I love old things that still work. Thanking you kindly, Keith.
Is the number stamped vertically on the rear fork end? Does it have 'pressed' ends?

151C1 is not a 'normal' Malvern Star frame number. If the C is a badley formed '0', making it say, 15101, and it is stamped vertically, it would be early to mid 1960's.

If it stamped horozontally, it will not make sense, even if the C is an 0.

Numbers alone are not always sufficient to date a Malvern Star. The number is just a guide, we really need photos as well.

A 1957 Malvern Star will have a prefix of '57', so you are out of luck as far as that goes.

Warren

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 am

bicyclepassion wrote:Jason: The 'M' font on your bike was used by many manufacturers, as you could buy those 'letters of the alphabet' individually, and apply them to create your own brand. These letters had that font. Can you very carefully rub some more of that red primer off to reveal some more letters? Or wet it and look for outline of letters? Try 2000 wet and dry, or 'extra cut' car polish?
I dont think that your bike is a malvern Star, but it is a nice old bike.
Hi Warren,

Took your advice and rubbed back the red primer to see what was under it. As you suggested, looks like the leters were only on top of the primer.

Looking at how it's built what era would you suggest it's from?

It's a nice ride so I think I might fix it up a bit and use it as a local commuter.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Going on the lugs and frame features, it could be anywhere between 1920 and mid 1930's.
If it is a Williams chainwmeel, there will be a date code stamped on the back.
The front fork blade looks like it has been welded at the axle end? Check this thoroughly before rding it.
Warren

Ocean81

Postby Ocean81 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 pm

bicyclepassion wrote:2star no . 38497, on the seat tube. 28". Any info would be great. Thanks
Ladies or gents? Stars in fork crown? Pressed ends? Clip head? Paint scheme? Brand of components?

Number alone is not enough to date a Malvern Star, but it could be 1933/34.

Warren[/quote]

Hi Warren im not sure what a clip head is or pressed ends. It has stars at the top of the forks. Gents. Red all the way down to metal with really wide white wheels. The seat stays are bolted connections top and bottom and there are no other markings on the bike. Theres an oil filler ontop of the crank housing and front hub. Not sure if the rear is original. I think it says 'fantastic' dunno. Maybe an old postie bike?

nadisun

Postby nadisun » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:45 pm

hi warren
I rescued an extremely weathered 5 star from hard rubbish the other day... it has what's left of a very striking red/ blue background & pinstriping... initialled FRANK.E.SNI... fades out...only 1 wheel and scales of rust.. but all moving parts are free.. found in Fremantle area.. WA.
the stamp on r/r dropout is
8P any ideas..? much appreciated...

nath

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 am

8P 2035 would suggest that it was made in Perth in 1948.
Thats about all I can tell you in the absence of photos. Good to see the 5 stars are still turning up on hard rubbish!
You could try a TROVE newspaper search for the rider, Frank E. Sni.....
Just google Trove if you havent done this before, and it will walk you through it.
Not too many names start with Sni... , check the phone book for the area you found the bike in.
This could turn into a good detective story.
Warren

Ocean81

Postby Ocean81 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Ocean81 wrote:
bicyclepassion wrote:2star no . 38497, on the seat tube. 28". Any info would be great. Thanks
Ladies or gents? Stars in fork crown? Pressed ends? Clip head? Paint scheme? Brand of components?

Number alone is not enough to date a Malvern Star, but it could be 1933/34.

Warren
Hi Warren im not sure what a clip head is or pressed ends. It has stars at the top of the forks. Gents. Red all the way down to metal with really wide white wheels. The seat stays are bolted connections top and bottom and there are no other markings on the bike. Theres an oil filler ontop of the crank housing and front hub. Not sure if the rear is original. I think it says 'fantastic' dunno. Maybe an old postie bike?[/quote]

Ive been searching info for ages. Anything would be greatly appreciated!

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm

G'day warren here's one I rescued of the nature strip,i'm guessing 60's. Has matching austral saddle & pedals
001 by adrianvanbreemen, on Flickr
003 by adrianvanbreemen, on Flickr
002 by adrianvanbreemen, on Flickr

buckled

Postby buckled » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Bicyclepassion and Clydsdale Bob.

I think I have finally worked out the technology required to post a link to the photo of the 5 Star that you helped date for me.

The bike was in a bike shop for display purposes and has since been sold for $400. I think someone got a good
buy even though it had been restored using some non genuine parts.

http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/huffe ... b.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Ladies roadstar 03822: This would have had a plastic star glued to the front. I am not sure what year they went to the plastic star, but I am going to guess this bike is C1968. If anyone knows for sure when the plastic star appeared, please let me know.
Does this bike have 27" or 28" wheels?
Warren

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:02 pm

G'day warren the wheels on the ladies roadster are 28" and has a couple of holes for the missing plastic star.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:26 pm

nadisun wrote:hi warren
I rescued an extremely weathered 5 star from hard rubbish the other day...
Nathan, thanks for bringing it along to the WAHCC meet last night, sweet find. One word for the rest of you - lugless :D
Seatpost will be a challenge, let me know if you'd like a loan of the reamer.

buckled

Postby buckled » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Warren

I was visiting a collector of military machinery who had a vintage military bike with two stars in the head tube. He would be interested if you had any information you could share about this bicycle. The only frame numbering I could find was on the top of the seat tube and was military in its format. The frame was heavily painted so I could have missed something. It had an Eadie Coaster hub, braced front forks and braced Major Taylor style goose neck. Links to photos attached. Thanks.

http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/huffe ... f.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/huffe ... 3.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/huffe ... 1.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/huffe ... 8.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:31 am

D^A above A 361. Army model. The other army models I have recorded have D^D prefix, not D^A. I assume D^D is Dept of Defence, and D^A is Dept of Army. Anyone know when this 'name change' would have occurred when referring to military contracts and equipment?
'A 361' looks to be an older bike than the WW2 MStar models I have seen. Maybe early to mid 1930's? The number doesnt tell me anything about the production date, as it does not fit the normal Malvern Star series, neither do the WW2 bikes.
I would say that the chain and rear cog on that bike are definitely fairly recent replacements. The chainwheel and cranks may also be later than the rest of it.
Warren

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am

no one around here old enough to ask that, but, WW2 era "registration" numbers for vehicles are now at the War Memorial , never seen bikes in there (motorised yes). There could be a bicycle book, vehicles have all their appropriate numbers listed in these books. Sometimes vehicles had RAAF/NAVY/ARMY included in their applied number. DD was usually on smaller things (rifles, tools, boxes etc) not the bigger tank/truck things. Contract wise this should be at the Memorial as well, trip to Canberra for you Warren? a Defence contract can ask for anything to be stamped on depending on end user or if its pool stuff. Doesnt really answer the DA bit ?
Roger
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

buckled

Postby buckled » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi Warren and Roger

Thanks for the info. I will give the collector a call and pass on the information. I'm sure he will be pleased.

Glenn

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm

is that a military only reinforced MT Stem on that bike? don't remember seeing one like that before.
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:46 pm

I bought three of them in a box years ago, NOS, with that reinforcing gussett. One of them is now in my Master Sports motor pace bike, the others sold years ago. I have not seen them illustrated in catalogues on production bikes, but they must have been a production 'version' of the diamond stem somewhere along the line. Maybe they were made specially for the military bikes, as this is the first bike I have seen with one as (what appears to be) standard equipment. Pure conjecture though.

mischasteen

Postby mischasteen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi Warren, I've finally had time to go back and check out that 5 star. Looks like it was a 6 and not a G. Anyway, I've taken a few more photos if you're able to date it. Still thinking I might want to sell it to someone who's going to appreciate the history more if you know anyone. Thanks. http://s836.photobucket.com/user/mischasteen/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Number 116818 makes it 1939. I think all the parts on that bike, except the stem, are later.
Warren

kevmango

Postby kevmango » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:07 pm

hey Warren,,, i have a ladies 28" Malvern Star, serial number on the seat tube is,, ' 5M 5014'..and on the bottom bracket it has 'British made', 'GR23 LS'.. any info is appreciated..thx kevin.

daybed6

Postby daybed6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:58 am

ive got a Malvern star two star , serial no - 122168 . it has the bsa sprocket & rifles & steel pedals etc seat is a leatheries made in England 2 inch front vertical spring and 2 horizontal springs at the rear type , still has original faded red paint and decals , I bought it in port augusta SA in 1991 and haven't ridden it since and been storage since etc red painted wheels with white pinstripe , rear coaster brake , steel pedals , has stars on sides , top of front forks , 28 inch Dunlop thorn proof tyres are a bit sad and the chain has seized , it has a dirt coating - what should I use to wash it ? have searched various links , seat pre 1930 ? bsa stuff 1936 to 38 maybe ? any clues , cheers dave

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 am

kevmango wrote:hey Warren,,, i have a ladies 28" Malvern Star, serial number on the seat tube is,, ' 5M 5014'..and on the bottom bracket it has 'British made', 'GR23 LS'.. any info is appreciated..thx kevin.
5M 5014: Suggests it was made in the melbourne factory in 1945. The GR23 LS numbers are the part numbers of the bottom bracket shell, and are found on many bikes of that era.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 am

daybed6 wrote:ive got a Malvern star two star , serial no - 122168 . it has the bsa sprocket & rifles & steel pedals etc seat is a leatheries made in England 2 inch front vertical spring and 2 horizontal springs at the rear type , still has original faded red paint and decals , I bought it in port augusta SA in 1991 and haven't ridden it since and been storage since etc red painted wheels with white pinstripe , rear coaster brake , steel pedals , has stars on sides , top of front forks , 28 inch Dunlop thorn proof tyres are a bit sad and the chain has seized , it has a dirt coating - what should I use to wash it ? have searched various links , seat pre 1930 ? bsa stuff 1936 to 38 maybe ? any clues , cheers dave
122168: As far as I know, this is 1939 production. Sounds like a 'Two Star Roadster', the deluxe version of the roadsters, with all BSA. Hard to say without seeing photos. Can you post photos of the headlugs? The seat sounds like it may not be original.
Warren

oldster32

Postby oldster32 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Gday Warren. Great thread and im happy to join up. Im new at this and any information would be greatly appreciated.
I have quite a number early bikes with 3 and 4 digit serial numbers and others.
Can you help me with these for a start?
2 Star 28". SN 30700 on R/H rear dropout.
2 Star 27". SN 27991 on R/H rear dropout.
2 Star 27". SN 56M 15540 R/H rear dropout.
Malvern Star??. 28 ". SN A938 on L/H upper seat tube.Earlier type headset. Maybe 1940s?
Malvern Star??. 28". SN 2878 on L/H upper seat tube. Earlier type headset. Maybe 1940s?
Malvern Star??. 28". SN 6590 on L/H upper seat tube. Earlier type headset. Maybe 1940s?
This ones a mystery?. SN 296 on R/H upper seat tube. Very basic lugwork. Earlier type headset. There is also 010 or 040 on bottom bracket.
I have others i would like to share with you down the track. Cheers Kyle