2013 Vuelta a España

Davidrnau

Re: 2013 Vuelta a España

Postby Davidrnau » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 pm

bvella wrote: Much more believable than a 42 year old standing up out of the seat the whole climb and doing it with ease.
Davidrnau wrote:.....and yeah the whole Vuelta I have been thinking to myself, wow a 41 year old superhero, the way he climbed up those last few km's of stage 18 :o ...he got through those 20% gradients like a man thats just hopped on a road bike :o

Sorry, but I am abit 'sus' of Horner and his 2013 Vuelta performances.

David
Hmmm.....interesting.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Please oh please Eurosports ditch Carlton Kirby, his commentary stinks...I wish he would just shutup and let Sean Kelly do the commentary alone.

Give Magnus Backstedt the microphone with Sean for the major tours.

David

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Davidrnau wrote:Please oh please Eurosports ditch Carlton Kirby, his commentary stinks...I wish he would just shutup and let Sean Kelly do the commentary alone.

Give Magnus Backstedt the microphone with Sean for the major tours.

David
I look forward to that commentary team.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 pm

So what is the new drug of choice, that can't be detected?

Not steroids, not EPO or blood doping.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:29 am

Very exciting Vuelta, far more exciting than UK Postal going for a ride around France.

While I agree that one does look at Horner's performance and ask questions, tonight's stage on the Angliru was fabulous. Nibali threw everything at Horner and Horner won out.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 pm

DavidS wrote:Very exciting Vuelta, far more exciting than UK Postal going for a ride around France.

While I agree that one does look at Horner's performance and ask questions, tonight's stage on the Angliru was fabulous. Nibali threw everything at Horner and Horner won out.

DS
Henk made a good comment that he may of been able to win a GT all those years ago but wasn't able to as he was racing against a uneven playing field?
Lets not forget he hasn't come out of no where.. hes won 1 week races when racing for himself

singlespeedscott

2013 Vuelta a España

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Your forgetting he's 41/42 though.
Last edited by singlespeedscott on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm

jamesn184 wrote:
DavidS wrote:Very exciting Vuelta, far more exciting than UK Postal going for a ride around France.

DS
Henk made a good comment that he may of been able to win a GT all those years ago but wasn't able to as he was racing against a uneven playing field?
Lets not forget he hasn't come out of no where.. hes won 1 week races when racing for himself
It was a level playing field as far as Horner was concerned. As I said on page 1, Horner is widely believed to be rider 15 from the whole Lance Armstrong investigation.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Sorry, cycling might need heros right now but Horner's performance is just to difficult to swallow.

Otherwise, I been thinking that this has been the best tour of the year. But now I'm thinking that it's been the best tour if the past several years.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:34 am

OGRE & Mathews. Great ride to claim the last stage.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 am

RonK wrote:Sorry, cycling might need heros right now but Horner's performance is just to difficult to swallow.

Otherwise, I been thinking that this has been the best tour of the year. But now I'm thinking that it's been the best tour if the past several years.
So you're saying the best tour in years is one where the winner cheated so the result is void? So many problems with that statement:-?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

singlespeedscott

2013 Vuelta a España

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:58 am

It's all good until he gets busted. For all we know he might of done it clean.

I just read on cycling news that he may of been contacted by Fernando Alonso's new team for next year.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:53 am

schroeds wrote:
RonK wrote:Sorry, cycling might need heros right now but Horner's performance is just to difficult to swallow.

So you're saying the best tour in years is one where the winner cheated so the result is void? So many problems with that statement:-?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Those are your words, not mine. However a healthy dose of skepticism is necessary if cycling is to avoid another LA debacle.

There is so much more to a grand tour than just the general classification. The 2013 Vuelta has been a great one on many levels. The parcours has been interesting and challenging for all (except the gc winner). There have been many different stage winners, and some great new talented young riders have emerged, and some truly heroic individual efforts produced. Despite the course being essentially a climber's course, the noted climbers have not totally dominated. There have been only few long boring sprint stages and time trails, and even these have been sprinkled through the tour rather than end to end. There is no doubt in my mind that it has definitely been a better tour than any of the last three years grand tours.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:44 pm

I agree. I much prefer a climbers stage than the typical sprint finishes.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:35 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:It's all good until he gets busted. For all we know he might of done it clean.
Very true, lets leave it to the scientific boffins in the lab, if anything 'sus' comes up in the future....having said that, seeing Horner charge up those mountains the way he did at his age....WOW.

Mind you for Nibali to come off the Giro then the Vuelta thats tough and it really showed in the mountains, Horner was fresh after a long break (about 5 months or so I think it was).

I just hope for cyclings sake Horner did it clean.....only (presently) he and his maker know the answer to that.

David

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:13 pm

biker jk wrote:Does anyone know how Barguil acquired the first name "Warren"? Not exactly French. :D

And another Frenchmen wins a stage, Kenny. :lol:

Ken and Waz :mrgreen:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:15 pm

michaelten wrote:
biker jk wrote:Does anyone know how Barguil acquired the first name "Warren"? Not exactly French. :D

That's exactly what I thought at the time. :lol:

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 pm

biker jk wrote:
michaelten wrote:

That's exactly what I thought at the time. :lol:
I read your post the other day and was chuckling to myself when Kenny was going for the win.

antomeno

Postby antomeno » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:47 am

Do you have some doubts about Horner? 42 years, he was going fasetst than guys like Nibali, Valverde and Rodriguez...for 3 weeks!...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:14 am

antomeno wrote:Do you have some doubts about Horner? 42 years, he was going fasetst than guys like Nibali, Valverde and Rodriguez...for 3 weeks!...
I believe he was doping. Note that no team wants to sign him.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15660 ... alues.aspx

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:28 pm

You cynic biker jk.

All right there is his age (6 years older than any former winner of a grand tour) ... never previously winning a grand tour stage ... being at the peak of his form long after most riders have retired ... that his best form came on the back of a rubbish season due to injury ... that an expert thinks his bio passport values are a questionable. But apart from that, what has Horner done to raise suspicions ?
:wink:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:36 pm

find_bruce wrote:You cynic biker jk.

All right there is his age (6 years older than any former winner of a grand tour) ... never previously winning a grand tour stage ... being at the peak of his form long after most riders have retired ... that his best form came on the back of a rubbish season due to injury ... that an expert thinks his bio passport values are a questionable. But apart from that, what has Horner done to raise suspicions ?
:wink:
The red flags you mention is why I'm a realist. :lol:

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Drugs are especially problematic for riders like Horner or Rogers, who are nearing the end of their careers and being caught simply means bringing the retirement forward a couple of years. :-(

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:07 pm

clackers wrote:Drugs are especially problematic for riders like Horner or Rogers, who are nearing the end of their careers and being caught simply means bringing the retirement forward a couple of years. :-(
No positives have come out of Horner's doping controls, and not mention of retirement. He may yet still find a ride in 2014, albeit a fairly unglamorous one for a Grand Tour winner.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Fletcher wrote:
clackers wrote:Drugs are especially problematic for riders like Horner or Rogers, who are nearing the end of their careers and being caught simply means bringing the retirement forward a couple of years. :-(
No positives have come out of Horner's doping controls, and not mention of retirement. He may yet still find a ride in 2014, albeit a fairly unglamorous one for a Grand Tour winner.
Convenient he missed a key doping control?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... oping-test