Bottle cages, why aren't they included?

nezumi

Bottle cages, why aren't they included?

Postby nezumi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 am

Something that struck me when shopping around for a bike, why aren't bottle cages included?

Pedals I can understand, due to the number of clipless systems which abound.

Bottle cages, on the other hand, don't seem to be so specific.

Then there are the cages which seem to be exorbitantly priced - up to $100. I know these are standard for the $15,000 starter kit, purchased by the Cycling Philanthropists who keep the LBS alive, but who else gets utility from these?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

joshnh

Re: Bottle cages, why aren't they included?

Postby joshnh » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:56 am

I am yet to find a bike store that doesn't throw a cheap set of bottle cages in with the purchase of a new bike. You generally have to ask though.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:02 am

A few higher-end bikes come with a cage included in the package, but yeah, it's pretty rare. Why? Who knows. But as Josh said, pretty much all shops will chuck one in for you.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:06 am

I think that the variety of choice and individual tastes probably come into play with bottle cages - as with most other things.

sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away. ..
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:59 am

My wife can't understand why you don't get pedals and cages when you drop thousands on a new bike.

I asked her when she spends $500 on a dress why it doesn't come with the shoes....lol..... women.

Anyway..... Elite bottle cages... plastic light and cheap. Forget the carbon.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Maybe because the cost of the bottle cages is equal to their mark-up?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Meh, I just get "Carbon Look" plastic bottle cages for $7. They are just as light as the real thing, and nobody can actually tell by looking at them.

I am not so sure about bikes not coming with pedals though. At a minimum I'd expect them to come with some basic pedals so you can at least ride it out of the shop.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:05 pm

I agree it is likely down to the fact that there are so many different sorts around and its easier to leave the bike without and let the rider choose which variety/style they want - though if the LBS were asked I'm sure they'd throw in a cheap one for free - though most people will likely swap a cheap one out before too long because it wouldn't look to good sitting outside the local cafe against all the other bikes with miscellaneous bling adorning them.

+1 for the Elite's :-)

I guess a similar question could be asked of the wheelsets that come with alot of expensive bikes.....and I imagine it is for the exact same reasons.
Wheels are quite personal and who's to say that everyone wants to ride around on Zipps? Plus, it helps manufacturers keep the price tag down if they include average wheels, knowing it is likely the purchaser will either already have decent wheels to put onto the bike or will be in the market to buy some down the track.

As for pedals, if I were to spend thousands of dollars on a high-spec road bike I think it would be pointless for them to give you some basic platform pedals - considering 99% of people dropping that much coin on such a bike will also be riding clipless pedals.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:55 pm

DoogleDave wrote:As for pedals, if I were to spend thousands of dollars on a high-spec road bike I think it would be pointless for them to give you some basic platform pedals - considering 99% of people dropping that much coin on such a bike will also be riding clipless pedals.
According to the Specialized specifications, their road bikes are supplied with "Nylon flat test ride, loose ball, w/ reflectors"
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:01 pm

RonK wrote:
DoogleDave wrote:As for pedals, if I were to spend thousands of dollars on a high-spec road bike I think it would be pointless for them to give you some basic platform pedals - considering 99% of people dropping that much coin on such a bike will also be riding clipless pedals.
According to the Specialized specifications, their road bikes are supplied with "Nylon flat test ride, loose ball, w/ reflectors"
I can confirm they do. Mine, like most other people's (probably) are in my shed with my other miscellaneous bits and pieces. It does seem pointless though to include something that most people will replace. As for test riding, I'm sure most LBS's would have pedals on hand for that.

- Troy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:08 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:My wife can't understand why you don't get pedals and cages when you drop thousands on a new bike.

I asked her when she spends $500 on a dress why it doesn't come with the shoes....lol..... women.

Has the black eye settled yet? :mrgreen:

Cages, like pedals, saddles and bar tape are all personal taste items. If the LBS throws something on for you, treat it as a stop gap until the online order comes through.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:32 pm

See, I would consider the saddle, and to a lesser extent the bar tape, as being far more personal than a bidon cage.

Interesting then that the high end bikes generally include a saddle but no cages.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
beanspropulsion wrote:My wife can't understand why you don't get pedals and cages when you drop thousands on a new bike.

Has the black eye settled yet? :mrgreen:

Cages, like pedals, saddles and bar tape are all personal taste items. If the LBS throws something on for you, treat it as a stop gap until the online order comes through.

Been married for 22 years mate, beyond the black eye stage, women are better at psychological warfare anyhow!

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:39 pm

BIkes look like crap with bottle cages. No bike on the floor has ever looked better with bottle cages.

lambretta

Postby lambretta » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:13 pm

I have purchased two new bikes in the past 12 months. Both times I asked for bottle cages and spd-sl pedals to be throw in and both times they obliged. Plus other bits and pieces.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Don't know so much about bottle cages (although I should have asked for a couple when I bought my latest bike) but when it comes to pedals I always thought it was like buying a high end turntable. If you buy a high end turntable you tend not to get a tonearm included as most people will want to choose a tonearm based on their choice of cartridge and they will want to match the tonearm mass to their cartridge(s) of choice. Similarly people will want pedals to suit their shoes of choice.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:50 pm

It's a very very useful way to value add the transaction with little cost to the retailer. You won't get that for an online purchase. It's just part of the wheeling and dealing, pardon the pun. A lot of people do not want the pedals on the better bikes, a lot of people don't want bottle cages either. You could argue people don't want the tyres or the wheels either. :idea: the nature of a bike is that it is modular, and allows for a lot of variability.

The bike manufacturers understand their market a lot better than we do. Never underestimate that.

thejester

Postby thejester » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:05 am

even I, a bike shop employee, bought my CARBON bottle cages online.
Waaaayyyy cheaper.

oh.. and I buy my pedals online too for the same reason.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie