Fixie Build Know how!

starkey

Fixie Build Know how!

Postby starkey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 pm

I recently won a 90's Malvern Star Silhouette frame on ebay as the beginnings of a fixie project. The frame comes with forks, stem, bar and I managed to convince the seller to chuck in the original cranks as well. What I am intending on doing with it is give it a complete refurbish with a some "modernisation" to the looks. I intend on putting some straight, flat forks on it as you would see on a modern road bike along with a proper bar stem, get rid of the goose neck.

As I haven't yet picked it all up yet, I was just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions on how/what I need to do for it all to work. Would forks with a steering tube work on this era of frame or would I have to use a converter? What should I be looking out for in terms of the front end? Will the orginial cranks work?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Jangari

Re: Fixie Build Know how!

Postby Jangari » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:39 am

If you want two switch from a quill stem (goose neck) to a 'modern' stem, then you'll need to get a 1" threadless fork. Not uncommon by any means, but the change to 1 1/8" steerers was just about contemporaneous with the advent of threadless headsets. Adding straight forks to your requirements, you're whittling down the pool of easily found parts. I would personally recommend keeping the quill stem (there's absolutely nothing wrong with the technology if maintained properly) and the raked fork (they still look hawt). Also, 1" stems are also slightly less common than 1 1/8", and ditching the quill stem also means ditching the bars (unless you find an even more uncommon stem to fit the thinner bar diameter, probably 25.4).

Cranks will work fine (I assume they're square taper, given the vintage of this bike), but you'll have to get single speed chainring bolts. You'll have to think about the whole drivetrain sooner rather than later, as everything will need to be compatible in terms of chain gauge (and chainline). If you're going to run it fixed, then you'll need a 1/8" chain, and compatible 1/8" chainring (also compatible with the bolt circle diameter (BCD) of your cranks), and compatible track sprocket (and lockring). The crankset might be biopace (elliptical), in which case you absolutely cannot use them for fixed gear (or single speed unless you have a chain tensioner).

Have you got wheels? You'll minimise fuss by getting a set of basic track wheels, spaced appropriately for the dropout spacing. Presumably the dropouts on the Malvern Star Sillhouette are horizontal; if vertical then you'll have a very hard time running it fixed. If you have wheels that came with it then you'll need to do some work on them to run fixed gear.

I would presume the frame suits 700c wheels as opposed to 27", so fitting a front brake (and rear if you want) shouldn't be a problem.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:11 am

What Jangari sais except with one correction.

You absolutely CAN run a 3/32 drivetrain without problems. Just decide early whether you're going 3/32 or 1/8 and source components accordingly.

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 am

rustychisel wrote:What Jangari sais except with one correction.

You absolutely CAN run a 3/32 drivetrain without problems. Just decide early whether you're going 3/32 or 1/8 and source components accordingly.
I meant that mainly because one might have difficulty finding 3/32" track sprockets, but I see now that they're readily available.

starkey

Postby starkey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks Jangari and rustychisel! I've already picked up a set of fixie wheels with a flip flop hub. Frame has horizontal drops and everything. I'll do some further research into it all! Thanks again!
Strava: Tim Starkey, Stafford Heights

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Just run a quill stem adapter if you want to run a threadless stem.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Jangari wrote:
rustychisel wrote:What Jangari sais except with one correction.

I meant that mainly because one might have difficulty finding 3/32" track sprockets, but I see now that they're readily available.
Yup, DuraAce for example available in 3/32 from 13 to 18 tooth

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:55 am

rustychisel wrote: Yup, DuraAce for example available in 3/32 from 13 to 18 tooth
wrong.

13-16t only, 1/8" NJS stamped for Dura-Ace.

Surly do 3/32" sprockets.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:15 pm

thanks for correction then, they've changed availability. DuraAce used to be available in the whole range in 3/32. Can you confirm 3/32 or 1/8

(lucky I got a couple of EAI stashed away)

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 am

rustychisel wrote:thanks for correction then, they've changed availability. DuraAce used to be available in the whole range in 3/32. Can you confirm 3/32 or 1/8

(lucky I got a couple of EAI stashed away)
1/8".