Another Help Identify this Bike, Galli, Gipiemme (Pic Heavy)

t-rav

Another Help Identify this Bike, Galli, Gipiemme (Pic Heavy)

Postby t-rav » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Another Bike ID I know, but any help would be great.

Stumbled across this bike the other day and would love to know what make it is.

It is stickered as boss audio but I guess they are just stickers someone slapped on it.

Stamped under the bottom bracket is Champion one side it has 60 (assuming size) and the other is 465.

Cable routing is on the left hand side of the top tube and under the bottom bracket with braze ons.

Down Tube shifter bosses are brazed on.

EDIT!!!: Upon further inspection have discovered the dropouts and fork ends are Shimano. Forks - Shimano SF and Dropouts only faintest shimano under the paint. Quickly looked it up and apparently SF dropouts are Dura-Ace and they feature in an old Dura-Ace Catalogue I found. http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/shiman ... 750005.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crimped chain stays.

Forged drop outs with adjusters. Feels like a pretty light frame, but havnt stripped it yet.

Components are mostly Italian.

Brake Levers, callipers, FD, RD are Galli. Campag downtube shifters, Gipiemme cranks and pedals, Fiamme bars and stem, SR seat post, Zeus Saddle. Rear Wheel is off a junker and front wheel is Sunshine Pro Am (apparently predecessor to Suntour Superbe Pro?) to unkown alloy 27' rim.

Note: what looks like built up grease around bottom bracket is some sort of dust cap. Never seen that before.

First thought when I saw Champion was that it was a Gazelle but pretty sure it would have Gazelle stamped on the BB. Have seen some similar lugs on other bikes before, even a concorde.

Here are some pictures. Might try and grab some better quality ones later. Bike is my size so intend to rebuild it and ride it but would love to know who built it.

First time posting pictures so look out....

can view more at

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/t_rav90/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by t-rav on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-rav

Re: Another Help Identify this Bike, Galli, Gipiemme (Pic He

Postby t-rav » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Upon further inspection have discovered the dropouts and fork ends are Shimano. Forks - Shimano SF and Dropouts only faintest shimano under the paint. Quickly looked it up and apparently SF dropouts are Dura-Ace and they feature in an old Dura-Ace Catalogue I found. http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/shiman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 750005.pdf

Measured the seatpost and it is 27.2 so double butted tubing.

I'm thinking it is not Italian as I don't think it would have been very common to build with shimano dropouts. Which makes me think English, Dutch or Australia. Also thinking Reynolds 531.

Have not been able to check if the bottom bracket threading is English or Italian. The bottom bracket is Gipiemme so maybe Italian.

Also looked up the Galli rear derailleur and appears to be Galli Criterium 1st Style apparently introduced in 1976. The second syle was introduced in 1980. So bike is likely late 70's.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Gal ... le%29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Champion may be the brand of BB shell. Perhaps Champion as in Champion tubing, which was Tange tubing? Champion tubing is normally 26.8 but I did have one Centurion built with Champion tubing which was 27.2.

I don't otherwise recognise the combination of features and have not seen that style of fork reinforcing tang cutout before. It looks like a top quality frame though.

Cheers
Roger

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks for that Rodger. I also thought about Tange Champion however I am yet to read any reference to Champion being stamped on the bottom bracket. I guess Japanese tubing fits japanese dropouts but then the Italian components ....

Don't imagine Galli components were used often by Australian frame builders. I have however seen a Ken Evans with Gipiemme before.

I have a bike with Tange 1 and from memory I think the post is 27.2

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:24 pm

70s bikes would likely not have been bought as a complete bike. Therefore frame and components often don't have any association apart from personal preference of the owner.